AFLW 2019 - R3 - GWS v Carlton, Blacktown, 4.45pm (7mate/Fox/Kayo/7plus/womens.afl)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Game Details
Preview

Last Two Meetings:
  • Round 2, 2017 – Carlton 7.5 (47) def. GIANTS 5.4 (34) at Ikon Park
  • Round 2, 2018 – GIANTS 1.3 (9) def. by Carlton 3.12 (30) at Drummoyne Oval

The Four Points:
  1. The GIANTS’ Rebecca Beeson had spoken about wanting to spend more time in the midfield during the pre-season and she’s got her wish. The 21-year-old has been the GIANTS’ most dominant midfielder averaging 18 disposals per game in 2019.
  2. Carlton’s big-name forwards haven’t exactly fired yet in 2019. Darcy Vescio – the competition’s leading goalkicker in 2017 - has kicked just one goal from four scoring shots this season while in her only game so far this season, two time All Australian Taylah Harris has failed to score.
  3. Are you getting a sense of déjà vu? The GIANTS’ 2019 season is eerily similar to their 2018 season. Last year the GIANTS suffered a close defeat in round one against Melbourne before lightning halted play during a 21-point loss to Carlton at Drummoyne Oval. So far in 2019 they’ve lost a thriller to the Lions in round one and lost to North Melbourne by 25 points after the lights went out at Drummoyne Oval in round two. The GIANTS will be hoping they can repeat their effort of round three, 2018 (a resounding win over Collingwood) this Saturday.
  4. Speaking of round two, 2018 – that was the last time Carlton recorded a win in the AFL Women’s competition. It’s been over a calendar year since the Blues last tasted success and after a positive performance against the Crows, they’ll no doubt be hungrier than ever.
Team News

Tait Mackrill will become the 46th GIANT to pull on the orange jumper when she makes her AFL Women’s debut on Saturday. The 19-year-old South Australian will be the GIANTS’ fifth debutant of the season when they take on Carlton at Blacktown International Sportspark.

Meanwhile Renee Tomkins will make her AFLW return as one of four inclusions alongside Mackrill, Maddy Collier and Jodie Hicks. Tomkins, who was delisted at the end of the 2018 season before being redrafted in November, is set to play her 12th game for the GIANTS. Nicola Barr misses the clash after being handed a one match suspension by the Tribunal, while Haneen Zreika, Britt Perry and Phoebe Monahan have been omitted.

TAYLA Harris is one of two inclusions into Carlton’s side for the trip to Blacktown this weekend. Harris, who was a late exclusion last weekend with a shoulder injury, will return to the side which will take on GWS on Saturday.

Joining her will be Brooke Walker, who will join make her AFLW debut. Walker signed for the Blues alongside fellow rugby sevens convert Chloe Dalton as a rookie after impressing for the Carlton VFLW team last year. She has been named on the bench with Dalton, along with Kirby Bentley, Georgia Gee and Sarah Hosking.

Shae Audley and Rhiannon Watt are the duo which make way. Watt has been named as an emergency with Abbie McKay.

Teams

GIANTS

FB: Ellie Brush, Renee Tomkins, Pepa Randall

HB: Amanda Farrugia, Louise Stephenson, Emma Swanson

C: Alivia Eva

HF: Rebecca Beeson, Jacinda Barclay, Yvonne Bonner

FF: Christina Bernardi, Cora Staunton, Tait Mackrill

RR: Erin McKinnon, Jess Dal Pos, Courtney Gum

Interchange: Maddy Collier, Tanya Hetherington, Alyce Parker, Jodie Hicks, Elle Bennetts

Emergencies: Phoebe Monahan, Haneen Zreika

In: Tait Mackrill (debut), Maddy Collier, Jodie Hicks, Renee Tomkins

Out: Nicola Barr (suspended), Phoebe Monahan (omitted), Britt Perry (omitted), Haneen Zreika (omitted)

bluesr3aflw.png

Hopefully a great crowd. It's our annual fan day at Blacktown with the game after.

Looks like decent weather.

Should be very interesting. Prespakis' influence on the game last week was so obvious. As soon as she stopped getting her hands on the ball the Crows took over that match (chicken and egg scenario, I guess).

But no matter how well she plays today, GWS must bring something like their best football to the park and kick plenty of goals. Otherwise, sorry Giants I'm off the bandwagon. Not losing a player within the first minute of the game for the third week in a row might help their cause.

We'll cope
Maybe they will cope better as an underdog instead of being considered a frontrunner. Think they're a more mature team than that though, let's see in about 20 minutes.

Maybe they will cope better as an underdog instead of being considered a frontrunner. Think they're a more mature team than that though, let's see in about 20 minutes.
This season so far is wierdly mirroring last year. And yeah let's see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS and slow starts at Blacktown, what gives. Got themselves back on an even keel sooner than R7 last year at least, Carlton should've kicked 4 before that happened though.

I kinda think Bernardi would've been better off to throw that on the boot as soon as the siren went, try bouncing it through and her team mate could've possibly shepherded it before more Blues arrived. You can kick snaps in that situation now, pretty risky to rely on umpires enforcing the rule correctly however.

Lovin' it so far, and yeah I had Bonner in their best for the first two games but she's showing even more today. Giants relying on the odd touch of brilliance up front more than any functional system at the moment, forwards' positioning in all sorts.

Seeing Harris giving as much as she did in that quarter is great, at the same time it's a little frustrating because she'd be getting so much more bang for her buck if she could kick a 20m stab pass--if she can, totally underuses that skill.

This umpiring has been absolutely disgusting. I get that the AFL want to engage Blues supporters in at least one format of the game but this is stupid. They are already playing better than GWS but it seems the few times the Giants have looked like getting back into it, the umps have jumped in with some shocking calls.

Just awful.

Great performance by the Blues, 7 goals to this stage is top class. GWS overrated and relying on too few, something the players who pull on the orange guernsey are all too familiar with.

Tayla Harris goes pretty well. Good quality footy from the Blues today. I hope the Pies can match that tonight after a terrible start.

This game is great example of equal opportunity umpiring... Garbage decisions in both men's and women's footy.

Well Bernardi got paid a goal for one that came off her thigh just about and Parker gets a 50 for her own easy goal (but misses) so say what you want but the umpire terribleness evens out eventually.

I guess it's not over yet? A really fun open game so 18 points definitely is not a typical home-and-hosed AFLW lead, but the Blues don't need to be told that!

Well Bernardi got paid a goal for one that came off her thigh just about and Parker gets a 50 for her own easy goal (but misses) so say what you want but the umpire terribleness evens out eventually.

I guess it's not over yet? A really fun open game so 18 points definitely is not a typical home-and-hosed AFLW lead, but the Blues don't need to be told that!

Its horrendous umpiring all round. Using the old argument that it evens out excuses mediocrity.

I love the AFLW but if they continue to use it for substandard umpires it will turn me away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back