Socceroos (Graham Arnold and) The Socceroos Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So Mooy returned for Huddersfield overnight so should have, in theory been fit for us if we'd made it to the final. Interesting.

What a fool if he gets that. Leaves Australia, as a coward and demonstrating he’s not right for international football. Goes to Hibernian, and probably find it tough and in the end get the sack?
The story is fake in my opinion. as if a European club would want arnie. He lasted 6 weeks in Japan didn't he. Having said that, he should be backed for the next year At least, its not his fault our players are not top class.

This *en bum will only drag us down further

#GetRidOfTheWeakcampaigner#

Arnie has to go, we might not have the best team but certainly have a better team than the likes of Qatar.
Whilst this is true, did Japan and Korea sack their coaches too ?? That's a genuine question too, I dont know.

I reckon we make the Semis with Mooy, a fit Leckie, Arzani and anyone but Maclaren starting.

Iran didn’t have a better squad than us and went further
Iran are ranked 20 places higher than us in the fifa rankings, you are seriously overrating us.

Our only premier league outfielder is about to relegated to championship mediocrity again.

Iran are ranked 20 places higher than us in the fifa rankings, you are seriously overrating us.

Our only premier league outfielder is about to relegated to championship mediocrity again.
He'll be playing EPL next season.

Also, FIFA rankings arent exactly the best judge of a team.

He'll be playing EPL next season.
Also, FIFA rankings arent exactly the best judge of a team.

Huddersfield are one of the worst premier league teams ever, I'm not sure clubs are gonna be falling over to sign any of there players

They aren't the best, but the fact that Iran are 20 places higher shows the statement that Iran didn't have a better squad than us just shows a lack of knowledge of Iran

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huddersfield are one of the worst premier league teams ever, I'm not sure clubs are gonna be falling over to sign any of there players

They aren't the best, but the fact that Iran are 20 places higher shows the statement that Iran didn't have a better squad than us just shows a lack of knowledge of Iran
Theyll sign Mooy, even if it's one of the promoted clubs. Hes a proven EPL level player.

And I agree on Iran, they have a better squad and played in conditions that suited. Theres a reason they continually fail at World Cups though.

Theyll sign Mooy, even if it's one of the promoted clubs. Hes a proven EPL level player.

And I agree on Iran, they have a better squad and played in conditions that suited. Theres a reason they continually fail at World Cups though.

Possibly, I mean how could I know for sure but with the parachute payments scheme I reckon Huddersfield will hold him to his contract and try and bounce back up. With what happened at Fulham I think promoted sides will be careful not to blow all their cash on average talent.

Iran aren't anything special no but in Asian conditions they are better than us.
The injuries we had combined with the all around lack of talent ment I wasn't expecting much from Arnold. He might not be much chop as a manager but he is in a lose lose situation.
Get a coach at the level of Van Maarjwick and we play ultra defensive soccer because he recognised we can't go toe to toe with good teams. However we were horrible at the world cup and Australians hate that s**t, play a more open attacking style and you will get beaten by counter attacking teams especially when you don't have strikers to finish opportunities

If the tournament was in South East Asia we'd have done better
I'd have thought the majority of our players are closer to the middle east than to SE Asia. We had enough time to get use to the conditions, regardless of where it was held.

I'd have thought the majority of our players are closer to the middle east than to SE Asia. We had enough time to get use to the conditions, regardless of where it was held.
The same can be said for the ME teams when they come over this way. We have always struggled over that way

They all sucked in 2015 too, and they are woeful at WC tournaments.

The same can be said for the ME teams when they come over this way. We have always struggled over that way

They all sucked in 2015 too, and they are woeful at WC tournaments.
Our record even with the golden generation wasn't great but they were pretty much fly in-fly out qualifiers. Different cup of tea from basing yourself there for a tournament. Can't see they'd be doing it tough in these places, still be staying in the best accommodation you could imagine. Hardly roughing it with a Camel in a shed.

Our record even with the golden generation wasn't great but they were pretty much fly in-fly out qualifiers. Different cup of tea from basing yourself there for a tournament. Can't see they'd be doing it tough in these places, still be staying in the best accommodation you could imagine. Hardly roughing it with a Camel in a shed.

Like I said, all Asian nations struggle more away from home. When you couple that with the fact we had the worst squad seen in 20 years or more, with a proven dud international coach..... we were never going to do well

The injuries we had combined with the all around lack of talent ment I wasn't expecting much from Arnold. He might not be much chop as a manager but he is in a lose lose situation.

Injuries were a convenient excuse for Arnold at the Asian Cup. Mooy was clearly a genuine loss, but like Rogic he isn't anything like the star at national level that he is at club level.

Aside from Mooy though? Well, Leckie was back by the time we were eliminated. And the Boyle + Arzani injuries that people were citing? Those guys have played a combined 9 Socceroo games.

Arnold is a hack, and should be nowhere near our national team.

Injuries were a convenient excuse for Arnold at the Asian Cup. Mooy was clearly a genuine loss, but like Rogic he isn't anything like the star at national level that he is at club level.

Aside from Mooy though? Well, Leckie was back by the time we were eliminated. And the Boyle + Arzani injuries that people were citing? Those guys have played a combined 9 Socceroo games.

In those 9 games Boyle in particular actually looked likely though, much more so than Kruse or even JMac.

I dont rate Arnold, but he couldnt possibly have done well with the squad we have.

We make the semis at least with a decent striker. Just one. I think Mabil can get there one day, hopefully.

We make the semis at least with a decent striker. Just one. I think Mabil can get there one day, hopefully.
Mabil isn't a natural striker though, to me, he's a winger through and through. Hopefully Ben Folami can really develop into what we need in the future. He was banging them in for Ipswich's U18 and U23s last season but not sure on his progress right now.

Mabil isn't a natural striker though, to me, he's a winger through and through. Hopefully Ben Folami can really develop into what we need in the future. He was banging them in for Ipswich's U18 and U23s last season but not sure on his progress right now.
Still playing 23s, scored a few goals.

That's great just slamming Arnold, it sounds more like you don't like him rather than objectively rating the squad.

We have a paper thin squad of talent and we missed Mooy, Leckie, Arzani and Boyle for all of the tournament essentially and Rogic for the the most important match. Aside from Ryan those are the first 5 names pre tournament we would have hoped didn't get injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back