Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

They're really clever, those Jesuits. Get their paws on everything. Control is amazingly effective.
Cornered the Jesus Bling Market
iu

iu

Aside from Antarctica, snakes occur on every continent but are not found on some island countries and territories such as Iceland, Ireland, Hawaii and New Zealand.

If you are severely afraid of snakes, New Zealand might be a good place for you to live. While snakes are not found in the wild in New Zealand, there are no snakes permitted in the country for any reason at all. There are no overseas snakes in New Zealand zoos, wildlife parks or research facilities, they are completely banned.

A favorite food source of snakes in Africa, Europe, Asia and the Americas - hamsters - are also banned from entering not only New Zealand, but Australia as well

A favorite food source of snakes in Africa, Europe, Asia and the Americas - hamsters - are also banned from entering not only New Zealand, but Australia as well

That's mainly due to Monty Python “Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!”...elderberries are also a banned import.

I walk through areas on the property we work/live on without a second thought, but put those same landscape conditions in Australia I would be extremely hesitant, and would probably avoid. Ive accidentally killed 3 snakes in 3 years but none of them would have caused me any health problems if I had been bitten.

That's mainly due to Monty Python “Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!”...elderberries are also a banned import.
Pointless facts: They were real insults from the era, not Monty Python made up ones.

A hamster is a prolific breeder so calling someone's mother a hamster was an insult as to her virtue.
In England a lot of wine at the time was made from elderberries rather than grapes, so the insult is effectively calling his father a useless drunkard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pointless facts: They were real insults from the era, not Monty Python made up ones.

A hamster is a prolific breeder so calling someone's mother a hamster was an insult as to her virtue.
In England a lot of wine at the time was made from elderberries rather than grapes, so the insult is effectively calling his father a useless drunkard.
so if I say "I fart in your general direction? " :)

Sister ships the Olympic, Titanic and Britannic were only together at the same time once.

This was in late March 1912 at the Harland and Wolff shipyards in Belfast. At this time, the Olympic had had to return to Ireland for repairs for a damaged propeller blade, the Titanic was just having some final touches prior to her sea trials ahead of her disastrous maiden voyage in April, and the younger sister Britannic was under construction.

There are a few photographs that show the Olympic and Titanic together, and while for obvious reasons there are no pictures of the completed Britannic and Titanic together, if there are any photographs of the Olympic (which survived until retired and scrapped in the late 1930s) and her youngest sister Britannic (which sank in 1916 during World War I) together I have never seen them.

The furthest point from the ocean on Earth is in Inner Mongolia, China, and its around 2600 kilometres away from the nearest coastline. Conversely, the point in the ocean furthest away from any land is in the South Pacific and is also around 2600 kilometres away from land.

Unlike the AFL which has had a low turnover of competing clubs the NRL has had quite a few clubs come and go over the years. A total of 33 teams have contested the highest level of Australian Rugby League competition from 1908 to the present day, and none have played all 32 opponents.

The highest number of opponents played is 31 by the Sydney Roosters (nee Eastern Suburbs, Sydney City). The only team the Roosters never played was the Hunter Mariners, which only existed in the 1997 Super League while the Roosters played ARL that year.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs like their arch rivals the Roosters have played 31 of 32 possible opponents with the exception of the one season Hunter team, but this is somewhat contentious with the Northern Eagles. South Sydney were controversially omitted from the NRL in 2000 and 2001, and during those seasons the Northern Eagles, a joint venture between the Manly Sea Eagles, North Sydney Bears and Central Coast Rugby League, competed in the competition. Court action by the Rabbitohs saw Souths back in the NRL for 2002 while the Eagles joint venture collapsed at the end of 2001, the license reverting to Manly alone from 2002. So while South Sydney did indeed play the Northern Eagles in 2002, it was a Manly team playing under the name Northern Eagles (before reverting to Manly Sea Eagles from 2003 onwards) not a Manly/North Sydney/Central Coast joint venture that took the field in 2000 & 2001.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back