Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s good for a player may not be nessecery good for the team

Take miles for example did he deserve to play at afl level? Yes

Could we have played him instead of sombody else? Yes

Would that have made the TEAM better?
No

If we were a team that was building I would absolutely play Balta but because of where we sit in terms of our premiership window we don’t have the luxury of carrying players purely for development purposes
I agree with your point. I am absolutely for getting a better ruck and system in place and to try to find a way getting that player into the team. However other changes should only be player v player and i guess that comes down to individual support views on players. However it may be better for the player, the team aspect must take preference.

Some of you are getting the Vlastuin midfield experiment mixed up with the Vlastuin foward experiment.
No, Vlasuin has definitely been trialled as a permanent forward before and it was horrible. Several years ago he played multiple games as a permanent forward early in the season and provided almost nothing. It went so badly that he was switched back to defence for the remainder of the year where he was much better. Not sure exactly when but it would have been around the 2016 season.

The one-off performance against St Kilda in 2018 is by-far his best performance as a forward and that was only a cameo appearance due to Reiwoldt injury, so there may be some hope.

No, Vlasuin has definitely been trialled as a permanent forward before and it was horrible. Several years ago he played multiple games as a permanent forward early in the season and provided almost nothing. It went so badly that he was switched back to defence for the remainder of the year where he was much better. Not sure exactly but it would have been around the 2016 season.

The one-off performance against St Kilda in 2018 is by-far his best performance as a forward and that was only a cameo appearance due to Reiwoldt injury, so there may be some hope.

I honestly cant remember where he was trialled as a foward for any extended period of time ( im talking a full game or a run of games)
a few years ago he was given some midfield time that didnt work out but never as a full on foward.

When he was 'thrown' foward from what i remember always plucked a goal or so when needed , He is not a foward by any stretch of the imagination but there is not a particular time i remember him playing foward for a few games

I honestly cant remember where he was trialled as a foward for any extended period of time ( im talking a full game or a run of games)
a few years ago he was given some midfield time that didnt work out but never as a full on foward.

When he was 'thrown' foward from what i remember always plucked a goal or so when needed , He is not a foward by any stretch of the imagination but there is not a particular time i remember him playing foward for a few games
Yup, I'm talking full games as a forward. Lined up there, played the majority of the game there. Lasted about 4 or 5 rounds into the season until Dimma realised it wasn't working. He's certainly been a lot more effective in his cameo appearances but again the most goals he's ever kicked in a season was in his rookie year.

Last edited:
No, Vlasuin has definitely been trialled as a permanent forward before and it was horrible. Several years ago he played multiple games as a permanent forward early in the season and provided almost nothing. It went so badly that he was switched back to defence for the remainder of the year where he was much better. Not sure exactly when but it would have been around the 2016 season.

It was 2017.

no canstanza either

Stuff Moore and balta

we will go with the proven formula all the short people + tom ling

lol lets just say Caddy is fit no everyone is fit. so we would play Riewoldt, Lynch and Caddy, with three smalls probably Butler, Rioli and Castagna, on top of that a couple of smalls Higgins Edwards and Lambert in rotations..

Now lets say Caddy isnt fit we play Riewoldt, Lynch and one of Moore or Balta instead of Caddy, with three small fwds and a few in rotations.
The only change would be a slow big bodied medium out and a taller quicker player coming in.With the added bonus if its Balta that he could pinch hit in the ruck for us.

May have confused when he was trialled on ball that was pretty non eventful

May have confused when he was trialled on ball that was pretty non eventful

I remember him playing mid and resting forward. That didn't work very well. May do so now. But he's such a stud down back that I want him to stay there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting times injury wise. Our kids/marginal players will get a gig early this season.

If we are down the whole lot on the injury list + Jack R then the Blues may have a chance. And I guess we'll be playing Balta and Soldo/CCJ forward. That'll be a strange freak out. Having an awesome forward line, most of whom aren't out there.

Going off leppas presser this morning he isnt 4-8 weeks away

said hes right on the edge of being there round 1

lol lets just say Caddy is fit no everyone is fit. so we would play Riewoldt, Lynch and Caddy, with three smalls probably Butler, Rioli and Castagna, on top of that a couple of smalls Higgins Edwards and Lambert in rotations..

Now lets say Caddy isnt fit we play Riewoldt, Lynch and one of Moore or Balta instead of Caddy, with three small fwds and a few in rotations.
The only change would be a slow big bodied medium out and a taller quicker player coming in.With the added bonus if its Balta that he could pinch hit in the ruck for us.

Rioli - Riewoldt - Higgins
Caddy - Lynch - Balta

Butler and, or, George on the bench...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back