The Law Nicola Gobbo named - Massive corruption by Victoria Police that will see major criminals released from jail

Remove this Banner Ad

Relates to suppression orders of a certain high profile person recently charged, widely reported in overseas media.

And their breach? I thought it might. However the organisation declaring war might want to tread very cautiously. The media have, to this point, allowed them to get away with precisely the kind of disgraceful conduct the subject of this thread. Indeed they have facilitated the disgraceful conduct. Many, with some justification, feel particular disdain for the individual in question but that does not justify the utterly disgusting conduct of the police, the OPP, and their media facilitators in this matter. And if the media facilitators decide to turn on those they facilitated, it is going to turn very ugly indeed.

Easier said than done perhaps, depending on the quality of Victoria Police's explicit and implicit threats, but Lawyer X/Informer 3838/EF should've moved into a new line of work last century. Bizarre they thought they could do this over the length of a career and it wouldn't blow up in their face some day.

If they don't get murdered, they're middle aged or near enough and unemployable.

Too much subterfuge for me to untangle, I will await further developments.

Media report damaging stories in one matter. Embarrassing to cops/OPP. OPP powerless.

Media allude to matters the subject of a suppression order in another matter. OPP pounce. Although it should be noted that I've never seen a judge as furious as the one that dragged the media into the courtroom for said breach so it might not be entirely a revenge thing.

Media report damaging stories in one matter. Embarrassing to cops/OPP. OPP powerless.

Media allude to matters the subject of a suppression order in another matter. OPP pounce. Although it should be noted that I've never seen a judge as furious as the one that dragged the media into the courtroom for said breach so it might not be entirely a revenge thing.
I think the whole suppression order thing in Victoria is backwards and the justification for it is weak. Considering Victoria struggles to lock up recidivist rapists and violent criminals, and has deep problems with corruption as this episode shows, the idea that suppression orders are necessary to maintain the integrity of the Victorian justice system is laughable. What integrity?

It seems like suppression orders exist more as a tool to protect the legal fraternity from much needed scrutiny.

I think the whole suppression order thing in Victoria is backwards and the justification for it is weak. Considering Victoria struggles to lock up recidivist rapists and violent criminals, and has deep problems with corruption as this episode shows, the idea that suppression orders are necessary to maintain the integrity of the Victorian justice system is laughable. What integrity?

It seems like suppression orders exist more as a tool to protect the legal fraternity from much needed scrutiny.

Generally I'd agree with you.

But in the subject case, what has eventuated highlights the absolute need for suppression orders. When all is said and done, I'll explain in detail why. Suffice to say I was there, along with a good 50 or so others (media and legal) and what we witnessed had to be seen to be believed given the evidence. And in the absence of a more sinister explanation, it can only be put down to an OPP/media campaign.

Good luck finding her and dragging her back into the country.
Apparently she was carrying on life as normal up until nearly the end of last year, when the parents at her Brighton daycare centre basically barred her being anywhere near the place.

That's alright.

The HCA already know of her existence and some of the extent of her dabblings, so I can't see why appeals against conviction can't still go ahead.

Are they getting close to actually stating the DPP knew Lawyer X was a police informant and proceeded with prosecutions anyway?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see your last post Mofra.

What does it matter if the DPP did or didn't know?

The Victoria Police form a part of the prosecution team, so this isn't going to alleviate anything.

The other angle of this is which governments knew about this when and why haven't they stepped in immediately to deal with it?

Have they suddenly found some respect for the seperation of powers doctrine in this state? That's just laughable.

The Victoria Police form a part of the prosecution team, so this isn't going to alleviate anything.

The other angle of this is which governments knew about this when and why haven't they stepped in immediately to deal with it?

Have they suddenly found some respect for the seperation of powers doctrine in this state? That's just laughable.
Gov. will already have a handy scapegoat or three lined up.
Lawyer X's flings are still all over the internet too - Fevola :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Police are separate from the courts.
2. Separation of powers at state level is not as strict as it is at federal level.

VicPol will be in a worse space than VicGov - VicGov can create 'enquiries' and find a few scapegoats to place all the blame on VicPol's screw ups.

It gets murkier though - the Vic DPP has all but declared war on the Australian media in the past week or so. When the latest story gets out it will be enormous.

Couldn't agree more. IF (and given the grubby deals I'm not sure) BUT IF the s**t hits the fan there is no doubt the Vic Gov will happily shove the Police under the bus if it becomes a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff. Remember Andrews inherited this. If he feels he can clean slate in a year or 2 he will.

Couldn't agree more. IF (and given the grubby deals I'm not sure) BUT IF the s**t hits the fan there is no doubt the Vic Gov will happily shove the Police under the bus if it becomes a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff. Remember Andrews inherited this. If he feels he can clean slate in a year or 2 he will.

Charges weren't laid in the Red Shirts affair.

Are they getting close to actually stating the DPP knew Lawyer X was a police informant and proceeded with prosecutions anyway?

The DPP should know and if they didn't then the 1st step the government should take is to legislate that the DPP must know the identity of all people involved and how all the evidence was obtained. The DPP can then make a determination as to the legality of the evidence. There should be a direct criminal offence for breaching legal privilege, outside of the catch all perverting the course of justice. There should be a recording of all communications between the DPP and Police when the identity of all people involved and how all the evidence was obtained is discussed. This communication should be under oath.

With this in place, any prosecutions that get through with dubious evidence relating to legal privilege can be traced back down the line.

The DPP should know and if they didn't then the 1st step the government should take is to legislate that the DPP must know the identity of all people involved and how all the evidence was obtained. The DPP can then make a determination as to the legality of the evidence.

IMO they likely did know and it matters very much and I think you know why it does .... yes I'm being a bit cryptic because I don't really want to go into it on this board right now. At this time.

Last edited:
IMO they did know and it matters very much and I think you know why it does .... yes I'm being a bit cryptic because I don't really want to go into it on this board right now. At this time.

I agree, it does matter in relation to the current situation, but personally I wouldn't be posting any speculation about it.

Obviously my post was about fixing the system in the future.

There was a fair bit going on in the OPP back in the day. Some might remember Jeremy Rapke QC being accused of being somewhat cavalier with his position as DPP. And I know the Libs commissioned a report into the police force in 2011 but I haven't the time right now to source or read it. Maybe someone else can dig it out? Tabled in Parliament in March 2012.

The DPP should know and if they didn't then the 1st step the government should take is to legislate that the DPP must know the identity of all people involved and how all the evidence was obtained. The DPP can then make a determination as to the legality of the evidence. There should be a direct criminal offence for breaching legal privilege, outside of the catch all perverting the course of justice. There should be a recording of all communications between the DPP and Police when the identity of all people involved and how all the evidence was obtained is discussed. This communication should be under oath.

With this in place, any prosecutions that get through with dubious evidence relating to legal privilege can be traced back down the line.

This is a police powers problem not a court or prosecution problem.

The lawyer in question has breached nearly all their duties as a lawyer.

My small summary catches all.

If a scenario like this was to happen again next week, how would your changes stop it from happening?

What's stopping the police from saying X was the informer when it was Y?

DPP will have no way of knowing...

The nature of the information informants provide is far far far below the standard that would be accepted as evidence in a court, otherwise they would be witnesses who provide statements.

The role of an informant is being grossly exaggerated, and by extension so is the importance of the information they provide, to any legal proceeding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back