Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

185K watched the Freo v Pies on 7 (in melbourne) /7mate. I would have thought that a pretty solid audience for week 3 and given the one-sidedness of the match

I know it is only round 1 and the NRL hasn't started yet, but I would think 106K on foxtel for the warratahs v hurricanes match is pretty solid

There are some pretty poor figures right across the board apart from one Rugby match NoobPie

Blues v Crusaders is a NZ derby so they are pretty solid numbers.....though perhaps reflect the size of the NZ expat community somewhat

I would have thought the FFA would have wanted more than 22K watching the women's grand final.... pulling prime time games around 30K for the A League is the new norm though

W League GF in Sydney supposedly the home of soccer in Australia had pretty ordinary 6127 crowd for the "beautiful game"
Its going to be a long long year if you don't give up this obsession of bagging out every other sport, especially when they get a record attendance and you still think its troll worthy.

Its going to be a long long year if you don't give up this obsession of bagging out every other sport, especially when they get a record attendance and you still think its troll worthy.

I suspect every year is a long year for people who hang around football forums getting offended by pro-football sentiments

I suspect every year is a long year for people who hang around football forums getting annoyed by idiotic, trolling, biased and not based on reality sentiments
Edited.

It is tiresome to read the same thing over and over again.

If i wanted to read such one-sided arguments, I would post on the Politics forum.

I mus admit,I am abit of a naysayer about AFLW. I cannot sit through a game but when they are getting Fox numbers comparable to the A league and H&A games are rating higher than the W league grand final the AFL are absolutely right to be generously funding the the competition.

I mus admit,I am abit of a naysayer about AFLW. I cannot sit through a game but when they are getting Fox numbers comparable to the A league and H&A games are rating higher than the W league grand final the AFL are absolutely right to be generously funding the the competition.

Im with you Im not a great fan but the standard seems to have improved this season and can only get better over time.
The crowds and ratings have also been an eyeopener with many predicting the comp would just fade away but no doubt the AFL would be happy at the progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bagging out another sport without justification is not pro football(AFL) commentary. It is everything I said above.

This goes to the hyper sensitivity of soccer fans.

All he did was point out that - given the claims some soccer fans make about the popularity of soccer in Sydney relative to football - 6K wasn't that impressive a crowd

As far as online sports forums go, big footy is actually very respectful to other codes. That is what makes all the more weird soccer fans hanging around here taking offence at the most trivial of perceived slights

Anyway, plus 4K crowds in both Adelaide and Brisbane today for the AFLW. fantastic stuff!

I was surprised to see the Big Bash final being played on a Sunday afternoon. It's not going to grow without being on in primetime. Crazy.

I actually thought it worked alright yesterday. Kids can't stay up late watching the final on a Sunday night. It was obviously done for TV programming but it worked better in our household than a 7pm start would of

Edited.

It is tiresome to read the same thing over and over again.

If i wanted to read such one-sided arguments, I would post on the Politics forum.

non-afl-admin-crowds-ratings-participation-etc-thread & a poor old bunch of sads cant help themselves but compare everything with AFL footy - as a fan of AFL footy its embarassing ...

Got to say though, soccer on the slide again, own goal, begs the question if the administrators care about their sport or are on ego trip.

I actually find those numbers astonishing.

Freo and an awful Collingwood in the AFLW got better Fox figures than Glory Roar in the A league, and they were almost equalled by GWS and a winless Carlton.

Imagine a Carlton Pies game when both are going well and in contention.

Nothing is certain, and AFLW ratings can still decline, but third year in, novelty factor has worn off, and we can say the base numbers are comparable or better than A league. This is for a league still very much developing and growing, I can see huge upside here.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

We have to be careful not to judge the figures entirely against other sports. Especially the A-League whose numbers have fallen off a cliff this year. It might be an easy comparison to make, but the AFLW should be looking at growth year to year now - I.e they should not be happy if numbers are down 20% even if the A-League's numbers are down 40%.
Which isn't to say numbers are down, I imagine Wookie has the figures for that.

We have to be careful not to judge the figures entirely against other sports. Especially the A-League whose numbers have fallen off a cliff this year. It might be an easy comparison to make, but the AFLW should be looking at growth year to year now - I.e they should not be happy if numbers are down 20% even if the A-League's numbers are down 40%.
Which isn't to say numbers are down, I imagine Wookie has the figures for that.

I agree with that largely

I think the key for the AFLW is how it retains numbers over the season

People whinged about the lack of promotion before the season starts but really the key test is how many people are still watching in round 7

The problem with raw comparisons with the soccer is that, in terms of foxtel, 30K ratings of people who are largely getting foxtel to watch the A League are more valuable than 40K ratings of people watching the AFLW who have foxtel for the AFL season (or other sports)

I agree with that largely

I think the key for the AFLW is how it retains numbers over the season

People whinged about the lack of promotion before the season starts but really the key test is how many people are still watching in round 7

The problem with raw comparisons with the soccer is that, in terms of foxtel, 30K ratings of people who are largely getting foxtel to watch the A League are more valuable than 40K ratings of people watching the AFLW who have foxtel for the AFL season (or other sports)
This is true, but really hard for even Foxtel to calculate. I do not recall telling Fox what sport drove my interest in getting Foxtel. Although they may hazard a guess based on my viewing habits, however, even this is tricky. I might buy it for AFL, and also, with a level of disinterest, watch super rugby, but that doesn't come through in the figures.

Based on twitter only, there seems to be a few AFLW followers that were not really AFL followers.

I also suspect there will be a bounce in A league ratings. It cannot keep dropping the way it has, there are to many with an interest in soccer for it to continue.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

This is true, but really hard for even Foxtel to calculate. I do not recall telling Fox what sport drove my interest in getting Foxtel. Although they may hazard a guess based on my viewing habits, however, even this is tricky. I might buy it for AFL, and also, with a level of disinterest, watch super rugby, but that doesn't come through in the figures.

Based on twitter only, there seems to be a few AFLW followers that were not really AFL followers.

We're all guessing, but I suspect NoobPie is probably right - AFLW is unlikely to drive subscriptions. At best it might drive people to subscribe a month early - which would still be a good result.
The important thing is to try and ensure that FTA ratings justify the live coverage. If it stays around 100-150k 5 city metro then it's going to do that and have some value to a FTA network.

Sorry but that is really dubious at a number of levels

Firstly, what is included in those funding figures? Funding related to elite facilities that are granted in the context of very long term contracts with a range of obligations are not relevant to participation numbers

Secondly, the Ausplay survey actually reports organised participation by adults so why use the figure that includes casual participation? People playing in the park do not need refurbished pavilions.

Soccer's problem is it cannot live within its means. If you are ripping kids off to pay for semi professionals / professionals then getting more grants isn't going to help. The model is broken

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back