Traded Tom Scully [traded to Hawthorn for a future fourth round pick]

Who's claiming he's a bust ? He's just another poor pick one.

Everyone knows his attributes, such as being a tireless runner, but he has little hurt factor with his kicking.

He hasn't been a patch on your own Isaac Smith, who I rate highly, and Smith isn't pick one worthy either.
But Smith has never made the AA 40 man squad, he can't be better based on your earlier logic.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I wouldn't say Scully is that damaging. He's an effective user by foot but other than 2016 he rarely hits the scoreboard. 73 goals in 152 games. 21 disposals a game (career average, peak of 24.6) also isn't that remarkable. He is an incredible runner though and will cover huge km without dropping off.

Still an interesting trade. Didn't think of him as someone GWS would look to move on to east salary cap pressure let alone for peanuts. People were funny about it but obviously GWS and Hawthorn were happy to balance the risk of his injury vs his contract and agree a trade value accordingly. Hopefully he gets back to full fitness then people can make a call on how good he is as a player.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Who's claiming he's a bust ? He's just another poor pick one.

Everyone knows his attributes, such as being a tireless runner, but he has little hurt factor with his kicking.

He hasn't been a patch on your own Isaac Smith, who I rate highly, and Smith isn't pick one worthy either.
I mean who cares where he was drafted at this point in his career?

He is on track to be a 200+ game player and one of the best in his position for an extended period of time, when you add in his leadership qualities i think he is a great player and can't see any reason to say other wise.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I wouldn't say Scully is that damaging. He's an effective user by foot but other than 2016 he rarely hits the scoreboard. 73 goals in 152 games. 21 disposals a game (career average, peak of 24.6) also isn't that remarkable. He is an incredible runner though and will cover huge km without dropping off.

Still an interesting trade. Didn't think of him as someone GWS would look to move on to east salary cap pressure let alone for peanuts. People were funny about it but obviously GWS and Hawthorn were happy to balance the risk of his injury vs his contract and agree a trade value accordingly. Hopefully he gets back to full fitness then people can make a call on how good he is as a player.
Fair enough assessment mate, the only thing i would argue is that career average numbers are a little misleading. I think most would agree he didn't come in and dominate from the word go. In his two years before getting injured he really upped his scoreboard impact a lot more and i think that was a sign of him growing as a player.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Fair enough assessment mate, the only thing i would argue is that career average numbers are a little misleading. I think most would agree he didn't come in and dominate from the word go. In his two years before getting injured he really upped his scoreboard impact a lot more and i think that was a sign of him growing as a player.

2016 was the standout. In 2017 he kicked 15 goals in 24 games which is only slightly above his career average.

Assuming he is fully fit I'd be expecting him to be a 20-25 disposal player and kick about a goal every two games which is a good return.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
2016 was the standout. In 2017 he kicked 15 goals in 24 games which is only slightly above his career average.

Assuming he is fully fit I'd be expecting him to be a 20-25 disposal player and kick about a goal every two games which is a good return.
But 15 goals in 24 games is better than a goal every 2 games? He went at 23 disposals and 0.6 goals per game in 2017.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Note that there is no author included in the article - no one willing to put their name to such an obvious paid promotion piece from the Hawthorn Football Club.

Also note that the photo of Tom only shows him from the waist up :think:

Pretty desperate attempt to sell as much memberships as possibly based on false hope before the season starts.
Roland Barthes says we don’t need an author macasqullions

I say it’s a universal truth and, if peer reviewed by experts, would pass muster

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
But Smith has never made the AA 40 man squad, he can't be better based on your earlier logic.
You see this is where eyes and logic are important assets in assessing players. Smith has been a far better player with far better kicking skills.

But if you want to argue that Scully is better be my guest.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
I mean who cares where he was drafted at this point in his career?

He is on track to be a 200+ game player and one of the best in his position for an extended period of time, when you add in his leadership qualities i think he is a great player and can't see any reason to say other wise.
Absolutely. Where he was drafted is irrelevant to Hawthorn. But it doesn't stop your fellow supporters being super sensitive.

Btw, he's not a great player. Jack Watts will probably play 200 + games too. Is he a "great player" ?

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Absolutely. Where he was drafted is irrelevant to Hawthorn. But it doesn't stop your fellow supporters being super sensitive.

Btw, he's not a great player. Jack Watts will probably play 200 + games too. Is he a "great player" ?
Jack Watts isn't one of the best players in his position. You seem to have neglected that part from the Watts comparison.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
Jack Watts isn't one of the best players in his position. You seem to have neglected that part from the Watts comparison.
Scully had one excellent year. One in nine.

Better players in Scully's position ?

Macrae, Smith, Gaff, Brad Hill, Hunter, Sidebottom, and Zaharakis.

There are others like Hannebery and Josh Kelly who've also combined outside run with inside contested work.

And you can add Tom Phillips from Collingwood, whose third year was better than every Scully year bar one.

I know he's a Hawk now, so does that stop you from keeping it real ?

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Scully had one excellent year. One in nine.

Better players in Scully's position ?

Macrae, Smith, Gaff, Brad Hill, Hunter, Sidebottom, and Zaharakis.

There are others like Hannebery and Josh Kelly who've also combined outside run with inside contested work.

And you can add Tom Phillips from Collingwood, whose third year was better than every Scully year bar one.

I know he's a Hawk now, so does that stop you from keeping it real ?
I said one of the best, you named 7 players who are better and Macrae who had his huge break out year this year and was outstanding didn't do it on a wing. I would 100% argue the fact that Zaharakis is better. He is easily in the top 5 or 6 genuine wingmen in the comp when fit.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
I said one of the best, you named 7 players who are better and Macrae who had his huge break out year this year and was outstanding didn't do it on a wing. I would 100% argue the fact that Zaharakis is better. He is easily in the top 5 or 6 genuine wingmen in the comp when fit.
Add Phillips, Kelly, and Hannebery. That's ten.

As far as Zaharakis goes, he averages more disposals, more marks, more goals, and has a higher player rating.

He also won a B&F in a year they made finals.

He's had a better career than Scully.

When did I say I didn't care ?

I'll always watch his career with interest. There's a bit of a fascination with pick ones. Especially failed ones.
One of the main board threads....you wrote some long winded cringey diatribe about how you don’t care about Scully.

I’ll see if I can dig it up again.

Please familiarise yourself with the DTFA board rules and understand them before continuing to post on this board. In particular;

- Don't insult posters, don't insult teams.
- Off topic comments about other teams.

I know it's the off-season, but that doesn't mean it's a free for all. Quit acting like dicks or you'll find yourself with a warning, a thread ban, possibly some infraction points and a holiday.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Do you think he's been a great pick one ?

Do you think he's been a great player ?

Do you think he's had the career football fans would have envisaged ten years ago ?

I don't think anything I'm saying is controversial. But for some reasons facts make people feel uncomfortable.
Not great but not poor either. He has played 150 games and been at a very high level for a period.

This was a good pick - low risk for potentially high reward.

Back