Draft Profile Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

That Melbourne have an excellent and consistent record of either drafting trash, or making players in to trash; and for that reason trying to score interwebz wins by trying to troll a player who’s actually become a best 22 player is a bit, well, stupid as ****?
Is he really? Majority of ess posters have either left him out of the "best 22" thread or have him on the bench. With Shiel coming in he is every chance to play VFL in 2019.

Is he really? Majority of ess posters have either left him out of the "best 22" thread or have him on the bench. With Shiel coming in he is every chance to play VFL in 2019.

Well Parish has barely played VFL in his first 3 years with the club. I think he played like 3 matches there last year including upon return from injury. In his career he's played like 50 AFL games and like 5 VFL matches. So I think its very fair to suggest he's a best 22 player and unless our team becomes markedly stronger or he regresses I presume he will continue to be a best 22 player. Considering he's only in his 4th year Its very likely that he will continue to improve.

If you look at his performances last year after he returned from injury I'd suggest that most clubs would be pretty happy if their 22nd best player performed like this:

Parish.JPG

You should have realised by now that making generalisations about “what posters say” is not a great way to form an argument if you intend to win said argument. Not only that, but it’s against board rules to drag crap here from other boards. I made that point twice in this thread literally yesterday and we’re already back to “but posters on your board say”.

If you want to comment on the validity of their best 22 predictions you’d be best to do it by replying to them directly in the thread they posted it in.

How does the term "trade bait" work in a sentence from the perspective of player requesting a trade from the club? Give us an example?
You're getting a little carried away by an expression, but I'm happy to provide an example.

Unless there's a go home factor most reasonable players don't leave their club unless they find themselves on the outer, but that doesn't mean they don't have some currency for the incumbent club.

For example Dom Tyson was pushed out of our inside midfield to a wing. He's not a great wingman and far better on the inside, but other players had surged ahead on the inside. He was still good enough to be in the best 22 in 2018, but less likely in 2019. Tyson still had a year to go on his contract, but he saw the writing on the wall. Melbourne knew he still had currency and were able to leverage Preuss in the deal with North and get the second mature ruckman we lacked.

As I said, you're a little excited by an oft used term, as is a frenetic poster I have on ignore, but many players seeking greener pastures, i.e. it's their decision, can still be described as trade bait depending upon their value in the market.

Also, it often looks like the player leaving is calling the shots when in reality the club is holding the reins and given a gentle nudge. Players always know if they're starting to be on the outer.

Well Parish has barely played VFL in his first 3 years with the club. I think he played like 3 matches there last year including upon return from injury. In his career he's played like 50 AFL games and like 5 VFL matches. So I think its very fair to suggest he's a best 22 player and unless our team becomes markedly stronger or he regresses I presume he will continue to be a best 22 player. Considering he's only in his 4th year Its very likely that he will continue to improve.

If you look at his performances last year after he returned from injury I'd suggest that most clubs would be pretty happy if their 22nd best player performed like this:

View attachment 622426
Fair - its just that he was pushed forward last year and struggled. His best position is clearly inside mid but with Shiel coming in what role with Parish have in 2019?

Best 22. He's not our best, but with the likes of Shiel, Smith, Hepp, Merrett and McGrath in the side, that's not a slight on him.

If we can keep him out on the wing as an on baller and stop sticking him in the pocket, he should have a good year.

You should have realised by now that making generalisations about “what posters say” is not a great way to form an argument if you intend to win said argument. Not only that, but it’s against board rules to drag crap here from other boards. I made that point twice in this thread literally yesterday and we’re already back to “but posters on your board say”.

If you want to comment on the validity of their best 22 predictions you’d be best to do it by replying to them directly in the thread they posted it in.

Fair enough won't happen again - I did however think my post was valid or least more valid than those posting about the Melbourne Football Club 1st round busts and the Watts V Hurley V Nic Nat debate.

My question received a good answer from Blitzer.

You're getting a little carried away by an expression, but I'm happy to provide an example.

Unless there's a go home factor most reasonable players don't leave their club unless they find themselves on the outer, but that doesn't mean they don't have some currency for the incumbent club.

For example Dom Tyson was pushed out of our inside midfield to a wing. He's not a great wingman and far better on the inside, but other players had surged ahead on the inside. He was still good enough to be in the best 22 in 2018, but less likely in 2019. Tyson still had a year to go on his contract, but he saw the writing on the wall. Melbourne knew he still had currency and were able to leverage Preuss in the deal with North and get the second mature ruckman we lacked.

As I said, you're a little excited by an oft used term, as is a frenetic poster I have on ignore, but many players seeking greener pastures, i.e. it's their decision, can still be described as trade bait depending upon their value in the market.

Also, it often looks like the player leaving is calling the shots when in reality the club is holding the reins and given a gentle nudge. Players always know if they're starting to be on the outer.

Wait earlier today you said trade bait was an all encompassing phrase?

Trade bait is an all encompassing phrase. It takes into account a player wanting to leave or a club wanting a player to leave.

Now you've given an example that fits with my definition of a team happily trading/looking to trade a player surplus to their requirements.

Which circles back to my point Essendon won't willingly trade Parish or use him as trade bait and attributing me to having said they would is incorrect.

Now you've given an example that fits with my definition of a team happily trading/looking to trade a player surplus to their requirements.

Which circles back to my point Essendon won't willingly trade Parish or use him as trade bait and attributing me to having said they would is incorrect.
I think it applies to any player who has trade value, which obviously will vary by degrees.

Its a big year for him coming into the last year of his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he’s be best 22 in round 1, no problem at all.

Yeah he’s be best 22 in round 1, no problem at all.
Def best 22 and with our depth, i can't see us trading him.
He's not our best mid, but with Shiel, Smith, Merrett & Hepp, that's no slight.

Keep him on a wing and he's gonna blossom. Going forward last year didn't help his confidence, then he got injured. When he came back, he played on ball and looked like the player who the ground running in 2016.

We dont have a 1st rd pick this year again, so its not like we're getting access to the better mids in the draft again either.
So trade talk is silly.

Def best 22 and with our depth, i can't see us trading him.
He's not our best mid, but with Shiel, Smith, Merrett & Hepp, that's no slight.

Keep him on a wing and he's gonna blossom. Going forward last year didn't help his confidence, then he got injured. When he came back, he played on ball and looked like the player who the ground running in 2016.

We dont have a 1st rd pick this year again, so its not like we're getting access to the better mids in the draft again either.
So trade talk is silly.
I like Parish and have since his debut. I made some comments on your board to that effect.

This is the year he can elevate himself to elite status. I think you are spot on in calling for him to be on a wing.

I still hope that your whole team goes missing when they play the Blues.

He's more than serviceable IMO, and it's not as though many pure midfielders drafted after him have been any better. Jacob Hopper? Matthew Kennedy? Ben Keays? Keiran Lovell?

Would think 20 touches a game since your debut season is pretty good, and he'll end up a 150-200+ game player. A lot of draftees never play a senior game let alone that.
I'm not comparing him to players drafted after him. I'm comparing him to good players. If he plays 200 games the Bombers won't win anything, so I hope he does.

I'm not comparing him to players drafted after him. I'm comparing him to good players. If he plays 200 games the Bombers won't win anything, so I hope he does.

That is a very strange call. Richmond’s 2017 side featured Kamdyn McIntosh, a strikingly average player whose ability Parish has already surpassed.

That is a very strange call. Richmond’s 2017 side featured Kamdyn McIntosh, a strikingly average player whose ability Parish has already surpassed.
Players like Masten, Aish, Greenwood played this year's GF.

Not strange. McIntosh is 192cm, 95kg, quick, tough and one of our best runners. Parish could not fulfill his role, he's too small, weak, and slow.

Not strange. McIntosh is 192cm, 95kg, quick, tough and one of our best runners. Parish could not fulfill his role, he's too small, weak, and slow.
Parish is a far superior player to McIntosh. It isn't even a contest. And Parish is weak? Have you actually seen him play outside of when we ply you guys (where he averages 27 disposals and 3 clearances a game FWIW).

Parish is a far superior player to McIntosh. It isn't even a contest. And Parish is weak? Have you actually seen him play outside of when we ply you guys (where he averages 27 disposals and 3 clearances a game FWIW).
Exactly, that premiership side had average spuds like prestia, rioli and Higgins plus that bloke they nearly delisted. They would get on their knees in front of darcy’s scrappy looking shearer father to catch a few drops of his talent.

The fact you question Darcy’s toughness pretty much rules out any of your arguments against him and makes me question if you’ve ever actually seen him play or just go off the “vibe”. His ability to hit a contest or stick a big tackle has never been an issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back