Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

Anybody into NFL or American Football? A couple weeks ago I woke up and thought 'I think I'll pick an NFL team to support and learn all about the sport. Been hooked lately.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Who did you pick.... Not the Patriots, I hope.

Dolphins, as I support Miami in other sports.

giphy.gif

Welcome to the party Shokunin, glad to know I'm not the only Dolphins fan on the face of the Earth. I follow the NFL a fair bit, magpienato and caloschwaby do as well (they're Packers fans)

Kind of a lousy time to start following the NFL though, seeing as the season just finished

Yeah my sudden urge could have came a bit earlier but oh well haha

I guess it's kind of a good thing picking it up now, because you've got the off-season to study the rules, players and history, and then when the season gets underway it's not like you've got no idea what's going on

Strange topic, but it's been on my mind recently, especially at the moment as I'm chipping my way through Elliot Cartledge's new book Footy's Revolution
  • Where did the name 'Waverley' come from? The suburb is Mulgrave and the other things in the area are presumably named after the stadium
  • Was it really that bad? My Dad says it was terrible - cold, hard to get to, terrible parking
Which leads to something a bit different:
  • Anyone have some stories from old suburban grounds? Pissing in a bottle? Standing on milk crates? It's a time I wasn't around for but I'm keen to find out what it was like

Anybody into NFL or American Football? A couple weeks ago I woke up and thought 'I think I'll pick an NFL team to support and learn all about the sport. Been hooked lately.

Die hard Packers fan here.
NFL is such a good change of pace from the frantic game of aussie rules and it conveniently begins just as the footy is ending.
There's numerous guides on YouTube as to how the game/league works so you'll have no issue learning about the sport I'm sure :)

I've been following for a bout 4 years now, pretty interesting sport, a lot different from the fast paced games I'm used to and involves far more strategy. I'm a Packer fan :)

Strange topic, but it's been on my mind recently, especially at the moment as I'm chipping my way through Elliot Cartledge's new book Footy's Revolution
  • Where did the name 'Waverley' come from? The suburb is Mulgrave and the other things in the area are presumably named after the stadium
Waverley, though located in Mulgrave, is surrounded by suburbs like Glen Waverley, Mount Waverley. It used to be part of the City of Waverley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waverley, though located in Mulgrave, is surrounded by suburbs like Glen Waverley, Mount Waverley. It used to be part of the City of Waverley.

Ah there you go. As a Geelong person I don't have a whole lot to do with the Melbourne's suburbs. Interesting, nonetheless

Thoughts on the AFLX this year? If anyone even watched it

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
For me it was honestly boring, found myself just browsing on my phone for an excuse to not watch it. Last year I thought they could only improve upon the format, and had it not been my Mum's birthday, I might've actually gone. But no, rules are more convoluted which is funny seeming they're trying to export this to markets who don't even know Aussie Rules.

The precedent has been set by the AFL that they are willing to risk the health of players pre-season, so why not turn this charade into a State of Origin Carnival? There's no excuse now.

23,000 at AFLX (cough... free tickets ... cough), you could likely sell out Marvel with a State of Origin Game there.

The last two games when the players started to get competitive I found it relatively entertaining. It's nowhere near the standard of actual footy but it was still a reasonable product to watch. Not a disaster in my book, hopefully they just keep improving the format in the future.

Thoughts on the AFLX this year? If anyone even watched it

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was good, a bit of fun and it was great to see some form of footy back on the TV.

I'd still rather an Origin carnival held between Rounds 7-8 (with another weekend-off with no matches at all between Rounds 17-18) that looks something like this:

Friday Night
Western Australia vs Tasmania (OS)

Saturday Night
Victoria vs South Australia (MCG)

Sunday Arvo
NSW/ACT vs QLD/NT (SCG)

This setup means the following positive scenarios can occur
  • Most players get two weekends off throughout the year (and everyone gets at least one)
  • The three bye weeks (which every footy fan agrees are slow and depressing) becomes one
  • There's now a good excuse to boot the pre-finals bye (too many breaks)
  • All the states are represented in Origin (no Allies or Dream Team)
  • The fans are the big winners (admit it, we all want Origin back)
  • The AFL will enjoy a big revenue boost from ticket sales, sponsorship, naming rights and merchandise sales
  • There's no huge gap between playing a home match, teams will rotate and play at home once every two years)

It was good, a bit of fun and it was great to see some form of footy back on the TV.

I'd still rather an Origin carnival held between Rounds 7-8 (with another weekend-off with no matches at all between Rounds 17-18) that looks something like this:

Friday Night
Western Australia vs Tasmania (OS)

Saturday Night
Victoria vs South Australia (MCG)

Sunday Arvo
NSW/ACT vs QLD/NT (SCG)

This setup means the following positive scenarios can occur
  • Most players get two weekends off throughout the year (and everyone gets at least one)
  • The three bye weeks (which every footy fan agrees are slow and depressing) becomes one
  • There's now a good excuse to boot the pre-finals bye (too many breaks)
  • All the states are represented in Origin (no Allies or Dream Team)
  • The fans are the big winners (admit it, we all want Origin back)
  • The AFL will enjoy a big revenue boost from ticket sales, sponsorship, naming rights and merchandise sales
  • There's no huge gap between playing a home match, teams will rotate and play at home once every two years)
Honestly I reckon just do a Victoria v Interstate State of Origin. Chuck North in to the Interstate pool (because lol Norf) and play a three game series like the rugby state of origin.

I watched about 5 minutes got bored then watched some M*A*S*H I had recorded.

Does anyone know why that idiot BT calls Rory Laird a Teletubby?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What episode did you watch?

I got into M*A*S*H about four-five years ago and when it was on One I would watch every night, ended up seeing every episode at least five times. Eased up a little now but still enjoy to watch about 2-3 times a week on 7Flix/7Two

What episode did you watch?

I got into M*A*S*H about four-five years ago and when it was on One I would watch every night, ended up seeing every episode at least five times. Eased up a little now but still enjoy to watch about 2-3 times a week on 7Flix/7Two
The one where Hawkeye punches Frank and gets put on house arrest.

Yeh i watched bits and pieces when it was on One but Ive really gotten into it since it's been on this time around.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back