Analysis 6-6-6 Number of the Beast Rule - what will it mean for NMFC?

JD-Roo

Premiership Player
May 31, 2007
Kilmore-East
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, there are a couple of straightforward technology solutions to this challenge. RFID tags on players and in-ground sensors could work. As could GPS solutions (although the dome with the roof closed may not work so well). If the rule sticks they will have a solution in place in 2-3 years, I reckon.

With the roof shut you could actually use localised GPS readers, using a number of them around the stadium for increased accuracy, especially if it's with regards to inside/outside lines on the ground.

Yep, there are a couple of straightforward technology solutions to this challenge. RFID tags on players and in-ground sensors could work. As could GPS solutions (although the dome with the roof closed may not work so well). If the rule sticks they will have a solution in place in 2-3 years, I reckon.
And how do you do that in Div 6 amateurs?

discodaddy

All Australian
Jun 13, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There are no others
And how do you do that in Div 6 amateurs?

You don’t.

I wasn’t exploring the pros and cons of the rule - I was just stating that the technology could easily support its application. The AFL could easily front up the cash to make such a system work at every ground.

xABGPIR.jpg

http://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=28661

Hurts pretty bad I'd say.

Do you mean it hurts us? Cos after reading that article it certainly looks to hurt us.

But we should have a very different side next year. A bit of outside run changes everything.

Yeah, us. Brown is better with space.

However, I think you just run players out of the 50 as soon as the ball is bounced. Don't think the rulle have much of an impact. Should be fine.

Yeah, us. Brown is better with space.

However, I think you just run players out of the 50 as soon as the ball is bounced. Don't think the rulle have much of an impact. Should be fine.

It's gonna end up like the centre square rule - with everyone lining up on the sides, or arc's in this case - and charging in as soon as the ball bounces.

See this from that article you linked:

DSC_3838.jpg

It'll be like that but a few metres closer to goals.

I wonder if the 50 arcs will slowly become the 55m or the 59m arcs?

Frankly I think these rules are incredibly stupid.

All the innovations that have happened over my life - and that of all us grumpy olds - how many wouldn't have happened with these rules in place?

Spare men/loose defenders, flooding the backline, Pagans Paddock (which led to flooding the backline). The way Sheedy would move players around in the 80s. All these things changed the game and made it interesting. Manipulating player placements to cover weaknesses and maximise strengths is one of the things that makes the game interesting and gives good coaches a chance to build their reputation.

I'd love to know what thought process went into this - mostly so I could ridicule it.

It's gonna end up like the centre square rule - with everyone lining up on the sides, or arc's in this case - and charging in as soon as the ball bounces.

See this from that article you linked:

DSC_3838.jpg

It'll be like that but a few metres closer to goals.

I wonder if the 50 arcs will slowly become the 55m or the 59m arcs?

Spot on.

arden station

Cancelled
May 3, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Going to find out which defenders can actually defend one on one, or at least in a 5 on 5 or 6 on 6 situation as opposed to those defenders who excel at being the spare. Sure in general play a spare will get back but there'll be nowhere to hide in D-50 from centre bounces and sides will try to make room for the weakest link's opponent.

Going to find out which defenders can actually defend one on one, or at least in a 5 on 5 or 6 on 6 situation as opposed to those defenders who excel at being the spare. Sure in general play a spare will get back but there'll be nowhere to hide in D-50 from centre bounces and sides will try to make room for the weakest link's opponent.

I can see a loose man in the D 50 like a Daw starting on the wing and dropping back quick enough

It’ll be interesting to see how these rules settle in but I wish they’d stop tooling around

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So Rance is ****ed then.

This gets better and better.

interesting point Danger mad on SEN this morning. After yesterdays game they realised its hard for forwards to sub of after a goal and get back inside the F50 before the ball is bounced. Guessing this is the same for defenders.

Guys that can play Forward/Mid and Back/Mid are going to be important to cover interchange while the guy coming on goes straight to the wing.

Or the AFL will have to allow more time between goals (good for advertising) making time on longer....and we suck in red time!

interesting point Danger mad on SEN this morning. After yesterdays game they realised its hard for forwards to sub of after a goal and get back inside the F50 before the ball is bounced. Guessing this is the same for defenders.

Guys that can play Forward/Mid and Back/Mid are going to be important to cover interchange while the guy coming on goes straight to the wing.

Or the AFL will have to allow more time between goals (good for advertising) making time on longer....and we suck in red time!

Or they are going to have to make subs at times other than after goals - which is obviously fraught with other dangers for teams. Will be interesting.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A large number of teams already use the 6-6-6 lineup a majority of the time.

Richmond, Adelaide and NMFC not so much

Back