Prediction Tom Hickey: 2019 Expectations

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Hickey comes to us as the guy who SHOULD be a #1 ruck. He’s athletically strong, covers the ground well and a decent tap ruckman as well. Nice kick, can go forward and take a nice mark.

So that’s a lot of good things to work with- especially here where we do develop ruckman well. Having NN as an unofficial ruck coach is just an added bonus in his development.

I’m not expecting the world. But I reckon he will clearly be the 2nd best ruckman on the list by the end of the year. Which given NN is such an unknown right now- i think he’s an astute pickup.

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Having seen Hickey at St.Kilda, I am more keen to see how young Bailey Williams goes in the ruck. The only thing is he is still a teenager, ruckmen tend to take a while to get going. But from what Ive seen of him I get the feeling he will be a standout. Very agile ruckman with quick hands. Will be worth going to our WAFL games when I get the chance just to see him develop.

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Ive got a sneaky feeling WC may be looking at him as a KPF. My memory is vague at best of times but i thought he was around 6'7" in the old parlay?Couldnt he be the new JK? I think any KPF these days needs to be 196 minimum.Who do we have on our list that we groom for Jks possie?

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Per the Champion Data prospectus, Hickey was classed as "above average" for hit outs to advantage, disposals and centre clearances.

That is taken from Longer's profile who rated average, poor and poor for the same categories.

I think Hickey can be more than serviceable and would definitely prefer him to Vardy if the role is as a primary ruck.

I'd prefer if Bailey hones his forward craft rather than focusing on ruck work personally. Despite his leap, he should only ever be giving a chop out IMO.

Big Hickey on the other hand is well and truly capable of holding his own or rucking solo. Excited to see how he goes about it. Will eclipse Slyces output.

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Ive got a sneaky feeling WC may be looking at him as a KPF. My memory is vague at best of times but i thought he was around 6'7" in the old parlay?Couldnt he be the new JK? I think any KPF these days needs to be 196 minimum.Who do we have on our list that we groom for Jks possie?
I was talking about Williams not Hickey.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Hickey will be a MUCH better ruckman than Lycett but its whether he can come anywhere near the athleticism and agression that Lycett brought to the contest.
This. Lycett was a beast. A huge man.

Small mids would think twice with him around.

Need an enforcer in the middle i reckon.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

This. Lycett was a beast. A huge man.

Small mids would think twice with him around.

Need an enforcer in the middle i reckon.

Vardy can enforce :eggplant::rainbow:

dolph-lundgren-masters-of-the-universe.jpg

*Image Sourced from the "Sexy Vardy" Fashion Collection*

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Could be right. The injuries to JK and Darling exposed us badly last year and very nearly derailed the fairy tale. Obviously OAllen, Brander, Hickey etc is a better scenario than McInnes

I feel like Hickey is too "lumbering/unco below the knees/not agile enough" to be a key forward.

I think at very best he rests down there and provides a tall target.

Stick fat with Thiccy. He will prove to be a good pickup I think. St Kilda is a a basketcase and not reflective of the talents of a lot of unfortunate souls they have snared.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Stick fat with Thiccy. He will prove to be a good pickup I think. St Kilda is a a basketcase and not reflective of the talents of a lot of unfortunate souls they have snared.
Yeah Im happy we got him dont get me wrong. Just reckon he and Vardy almost split the ruck duties 50/50 for a while to keep each other fresh.

Yeah Im happy we got him dont get me wrong. Just reckon he and Vardy almost split the ruck duties 50/50 for a while to keep each other fresh.

If JJK went down for weeks again this year I reckon Vardy will be the one to play serious minutes forward. He took some clutch marks in the grannie and seems one of our steadier kicks at goal. Tom seems suited to that lead ruck role too - hopefully the club can get him playing with a bit more fire in his belly.

Level_Headed

Team Captain
Jan 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
We probably lose a bit around the ground with Hickey as compared to SLycett but gain in ruck work. Perhaps our midfield will get better opportunity to have first use. (While I am here could anyone please explain how we never managed to get SLycett to jump 1 second later at centre square bounces? It would have improved his ruck work quite a lot.)

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I think he'll be OK. Gets his hand to the ball enough and competes at ground level. I reckon he'll go OK for us.

FatPizza

Premiership Player
May 25, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I have no real complaints. He'll do fine in our system.

Back