Football Park - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
it must be weird driving/walking past and seeing straight through there now?

It's been well over 10 years since i've been to West Lakes but it was such a focal point of the area that I'm sure I'd feel like there was a hole there if I wandered past

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
it must be weird driving/walking past and seeing straight through there now?

It's been well over 10 years since i've been to West Lakes but it was such a focal point of the area that I'm sure I'd feel like there was a hole there if I wandered past

Completely different to how it felt 6 months ago, but it has been a continued evolution of the precinct since the West development started - from the apartments popping up on Max Basheer Reserve to to demolition of the stadium. Within 3-4 months, all that will be left is Checkside Tavern (even the old function rooms above the tavern are going). From a stadium to a single story pub in the space of about 9 months :oops:

Sep 18, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Completely different to how it felt 6 months ago, but it has been a continued evolution of the precinct since the West development started - from the apartments popping up on Max Basheer Reserve to to demolition of the stadium. Within 3-4 months, all that will be left is Checkside Tavern (even the old function rooms above the tavern are going). From a stadium to a single story pub in the space of about 9 months :oops:

The function room above the tavern going is quite surprising
I know it has been used pretty often since the stadium closed for small events

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
The function room above the tavern going is quite surprising
I know it has been used pretty often since the stadium closed for small events

I was surprised that was going too - I'd have thought that would've still been handy as a function venue (mind you it'd also be competing against the Lakes Resort across the road, which may explain why it's going).

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
Nearly there now, can see the back of the Checkside Tavern!
7ca636ad95bc6df209aa0a98d7fec686.jpg

c9e6d3e5663afd831a96a1ad0b34631c.jpg

206ec215632f0976356ef603a7335ec6.jpg

bb332e981b464c798ec3ce4b07e6e2e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
Sucks they couldn’t have kept some of the members stand like Waverley, but I guess to much $$$ is involved for c&g.

It would have been nice, Hawthorn though have their facilities inside the remaining portion of the VFL Park grandstand (checked it out and it actually works really well) whilst we don’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Honestly, I'm glad. Sure the place had history and I have some special memories there myself but it was also a hole and becoming further and further from state-of-the-art as time went on, even before they stopped improving it after the AO annoucement. Nothing was going to fix its location or its seating bowl that had less slope than the Nullarbor.

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
Honestly, I'm glad. Sure the place had history and I have some special memories there myself but it was also a hole and becoming further and further from state-of-the-art as time went on, even before they stopped improving it after the AO annoucement. Nothing was going to fix its location or its seating bowl that had less slope than the Nullarbor.

Likewise. The memories there will never be forgotten but definitely don’t miss going to games there plus it had become a big eyesore in the area over the past couple of years. The AO move IMO was the best thing to happen to AFL football in this state.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
The ground had well and truly served it’s purpose by the time football returned to Adelaide Oval. Football Park was built to stop the SACA financially crippling football in the state, and for football to have independence, and it achieved both of those outcomes.

Plenty of memories, and I sure do miss the place, but we have a brilliant legacy in Adelaide Oval, that was built largely on the success of Football Park.

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just watching Ch.7 news... Crows and Power might have to work together to rebuild football park to get away from the s**t deals at Adelaide Oval.

Looks like the SMA, SANFL, SACA and SA Government will not support the AFL clubs including no government commitment to the Footy Express. It will be interesting to see how much more memberships will cost to cover the previously free public transport service.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Is their any plans or ideas drawn up on what the Crowd plan to do with their facilities. Will it be nice parkland or housing development?
Will the Crows move into the city.

The Crows have a 30 year lease at the ground so won't be moving any time soon.

There's some bizarre media pressure for the club to move into the city though, which doesn't make a great deal of sense.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Unpopular opinion but having been on both, a full house at footy park felt like a bigger occasion than AO. I guess it being sunken with full grandstands all around made it feel more like a coliseum, than AO which is infinitely more picturesque and louder but lacks the visual impression from the centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back