Jarrod Berry Glandular fever 1 week
Allen Christensen Ankle 2-3 weeks
Darcy Gardiner Knee 5-6 weeks
Connor McFadyen Foot 4-5 weeks
Jack Payne Shin 6-8 weeks
Josh Walker Ankle TBC
Updated: Wednesday, February 20

Early prognosis
Few concerns here for the Lions, primarily that some of these injuries are to key defenders. Gardiner has resumed running again and should be available for round one. Although Adams is due back in a couple of weeks, he's missed big parts of the pre-season and will likely need some more conditioning before he's considered. Christensen suffered an ankle injury in the Lions' intraclub and will be touch-and-go to play in the JLT series. - Michael Whiting

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-21/the-full-afl-injury-list-preseason-update

It's just Dylan being Dylan
How so?

Adams will be lucky to play a JLT game, therefore once he gets his fitness up through the Reserves, I think it will be around round 6 that he'll get a look in for the seniors. Is that that much of an outlandish comment that I think he'll only get a look in for senior selection until round 6 or so?

How so?

Adams will be lucky to play a JLT game, therefore once he gets his fitness up through the Reserves, I think it will be around round 6 that he'll get a look in for the seniors. Is that that much of an outlandish comment that I think he'll only get a look in for senior selection until round 6 or so?

Yes. You realise round 6 is over 2 months away?

You don't have to do a full preseason and play all JLT games to be ready for round 1 especially as a senior player (there have been countless examples of this). He's back running now with heaps of time to get ready for round 1.

On top of this there has been lots of comments about him possibly not being fit for round 1.

Last edited:
How so?

Some fans are keen to see the shiny new toys ASAP.

Why is Jack Payne still unavailable? Is he still rehabbing or has he injured it again. Seems a ridiculously long time just for a shin injury albeit a stress reaction. Would have thougt he would be better by now considering he had it done very early last year.
Great minds think alike.

Depleted Gold Coast, Brisbane teams to face off in practice match
Andrew Hamilton, The Courier-Mail
February 20, 2019 7:45pm

Berry (glandular fever) and Martin (heel) are expected to be available for the first or second JLT match but Gardiner (knee) and Christensen (ankle) are unlikely to play in the pre-season.

New recruit Marcus Adams is still battling knee soreness and may also not be available for either JLT games.
That same article on each club's injuries had Payne struggling with shin soreness again, 6 or so weeks. Has he got shin splints back again?

Some fans are keen to see the shiny new toys ASAP.
Same, just as excited about Adams as the next person, but combined with his injuries and then need to impress in the reserves and subsequently displace the KPDs in the ones then it could be quite a few rounds into the season that he gets a look in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we forgetting about Skinner as an option down back. If he goes alright in the JLT he may well get a start.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. It just seems to me if Dizzy is lineball for round 1, Adams 3 still weeks away and likely to need some time to get match ready, Payne zero chance now and Walker possibly unavailable too then playing Harris up forward is a luxury we simply can't afford.

I have to say I'm not really all that excited about Andrews forward. For every Lynch there is a Hooker or Harry Taylor. He is a gun down back and I don't really feel we are out of options forward.

It’s going to be horses for courses I suspect. Nice to have strategic moves available to us mid-game for a change. A good sign of growing depth on the list, having actual chess pieces to move around as opposed to barely having enough competent pieces to put on the board at all.

Same, just as excited about Adams as the next person, but combined with his injuries and then need to impress in the reserves and subsequently displace the KPDs in the ones then it could be quite a few rounds into the season that he gets a look in.

You could have just said that you don't rate him

You could have just said that you don't rate him
I do; Lions officials at the Draft nights in Melbourne even said themselves that Adams will have to earn the respect of players and coaches alike and most likely through the Reserves. Given his fitness concerns, I see what I’ve been told as playing out exactly; that is, it is up to Adams himself to bang the door down with solid performances at Reserves level.

NFI what your problem is.

I do; Lions officials at the Draft nights in Melbourne even said themselves that Adams will have to earn the respect of players and coaches alike and most likely through the Reserves. Given his fitness concerns, I see what I’ve been told as playing out exactly; that is, it is up to Adams himself to bang the door down with solid performances at Reserves level.

NFI what your problem is.

Well given this goes against common sense trading for someone who's best 22 at their club but sticking him in the reserves I think it's fair enough to go along with the most common line of thinking which is that he is actially best 22.

Well given this goes against common sense trading for someone who's best 22 at their club but sticking him in the reserves I think it's fair enough to go along with the most common line of thinking which is that he is actially best 22.
Was he?

27 or so games across 3 seasons and he is best 22?

Even if he is best 22 at one club; doesn’t mean he is automatically at another club, which again, I know that he is down the pecking order in our KPD depth chart until he proves otherwise. Why you find that so unusual for a guy that has played less than 30 odd games is beyond me.

Was he?

27 or so games across 3 seasons and he is best 22?

Even if he is best 22 at one club; doesn’t mean he is automatically at another club, which again, I know that he is down the pecking order in our KPD depth chart until he proves otherwise. Why you find that so unusual for a guy that has played less than 30 odd games is beyond me.
From memory he was only ever out of the the Bulldog's side because of injury, so if he ends up having to work his way into the seniors through time in the reserves I'd say it'd be to get match fitness rather than proving himself or because he's well down the pecking order. He was best 22 at the Dogs and he's best 22 at the Lions if his body is right.

I think Adams will be best 22 but agree he needs to prove it first. He is in a position where there is decent battles for top spot, he isnt 100% fit and is still new to the team. He was recruited to be best 22, but he needs to work his way in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back