Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah, to me, it's a no brainer moving across one lane and letting someone through. Maybe im doing 100, maybe I'm doing 95, maybe I'm doing 105. Who knows with the variance in Speedos. I'd rather switch lanes for a few seconds, than encourage people to pass on the left and weave through traffic. I honestly believe your vigilante on speeders behind you is creating a more dangerous situation than them speeding. It works brilliantly in Europe and the US, for some reason Aussies can't get their heads around it.

Must've been quite horrific seeing a pedestrian hit at 100kmh. Can't imagine it would be much different to being hit at 110 though.

Ah ok. I misunderstood your initial post. Thought you were talking about something like 3 lanes merging to 2 after traffic lights.
You’re probably right, but I just can’t accept a Speedo variance is the reason when they roar up behind me and tailgate me until I am bullied into moving. If someone try’s to intimidate me I just don’t budge. You’re supposed to have a safe distance between cars. And frankly, if I focus on the campaigner behind me, I am not looking forward which is more dangerous.

Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
a parking related vent here:

On my way home from work there is a Dan Murphys on a two lane road, with the left lane a clearway from 4.00 - 7.00pm. It seems every second night someone pulls up out front of Dan's no doubt to buy a quick six pack or bottle of wine (which to be fair is a quality purchase). However it obviously holds up traffic and forces the two lanes to merge into one. Thing is, they could easily park around the back if they drove around the block, but would rather hold up traffic for a few minutes then go out of their own way.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
a parking related vent here:

On my way home from work there is a Dan Murphys on a two lane road, with the left lane a clearway from 4.00 - 7.00pm. It seems every second night someone pulls up out front of Dan's no doubt to buy a quick six pack or bottle of wine (which to be fair is a quality purchase). However it obviously holds up traffic and forces the two lanes to merge into one. Thing is, they could easily park around the back if they drove around the block, but would rather hold up traffic for a few minutes then go out of their own way.
Not surprised in the selfish thinking. Standard really.

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Queensland State of Origin
4WD? Try going around a roundabout in Camberwell at peak hour.....

Camberwell and Kew.

Wide streets with parked cars with plenty of room for 2 cars to pass in opposite directions, but no one deviates from the middle of the road.

People lose mirrors daily around there when all they had to do was drift to the side so both cars can pass smoothly.

High speed Mexican stand offs resulting in mirrors flying everywhere

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
Those are good if you are in the lane that ends.

Just speed up to the empty spot and go a tad ahead of the middle car. The middle car driver will get all flustered about his manhood getting challenged and then fly off when it goes green. You can just trail him and safely merge, because the car behind will be a slowy!

i usually accelerate quicker it if i'm first at the lights and leave everyone behind

but then you get stuck behind that campaigner who takes of slow and makes harder to merge

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I am not talking about dropping it, just sticking to it. The thing is what kind of impact it has on someone that gets intimidated when a hilux roars up behind you when you’re doing the limit. Me personally? I look forward to what’s in front of me, not behind, because I don’t like taking my eyes off the road. But people get freaked out, they panic, they focus on the rear view bully and not the traffic in front. That’s what causes accidents.

In cairns last year I had a hilux overtake me over double lines coming up to a bend. He just couldn’t handle being behind me whilst I was sticking to the limit. The dumb prick had his business logo and name all over his truck so I called the company and reported it, not to mention ripping into them on their google review page.

Do not ever buy a fast car Len Nicodemo.
You are way too high on the neuroticism scale for that.

Buy a vanilla car with good ride height and good tech features and just relax when you drive.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Camberwell and Kew.

Wide streets with parked cars with plenty of room for 2 cars to pass in opposite directions, but no one deviates from the middle of the road.

People lose mirrors daily around there when all they had to do was drift to the side so both cars can pass smoothly.

High speed Mexican stand offs resulting in mirrors flying everywhere
And expensive insurance claims.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
You do know there are professions/people out there who are authorised to speed. And I’m not talking about those driving vehicles with flashing lights

Be courteous out there.
Reciprocity is an important part of life
I know. I am not talking about those people (please list them) I am talking about the people with no excuse that do it. Mate, I’ve seen the impact of a speeding car on a person. It’s really not good.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Do not ever buy a fast car Len Nicodemo.
You are way too high on the neuroticism scale for that.

Buy a vanilla car with good ride height and good tech features and just relax when you drive.
At the end of the day, irrespective of what people say, the law states that there are maximum speed limits. When that is a standard, and people break that, then it’s cause for stress and intimidation on the roads. It’s also cause for public safety. Wipe off 5 really makes a difference.

There’s simply no excuse. You’ve intimated that I drive like a grandmother, but all I do is stick to the speed limit. Simple. I’ve never had an accident and I’ve been driving half my life. I’ve had plenty of near misses, but I’ve always tried to do the right thing and drive at a safe speed. I’ve had one speeding fine when I was 19. One point and a couple of hundred lighter off.

It actually makes me laugh these days when people tailgate me, because I just sit there on the limit and think to them ‘god you’re ******* dumb, you really don’t get it’. I’ve also got no issues with people who speed ridiculously wrapping themselves around poles or trees and killing them selves, it’s better than smashing into a family of 4 and killing some kids.

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
At the end of the day, irrespective of what people say, the law states that there are maximum speed limits. When that is a standard, and people break that, then it’s cause for stress and intimidation on the roads. It’s also cause for public safety. Wipe off 5 really makes a difference.

You’ve intimated that I drive like a grand mother.

Completely the opposite.
I think maybe you should drive like a grandmother.

My perception of you based on your posts is that you are highly neurotic, and sensitive when behind the steering wheel.

No one on this thread is condoning speeding like a peanut in 60 zones they are talking about high speed roads 80,100 km + where if people want to speed you should not impede them based on some sense of egalitarianism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Completely the opposite.
I think maybe you should drive like a grandmother.

My perception of you based on your posts is that you are highly neurotic, and sensitive when behind the steering wheel.

No one on this thread is condoning speeding like a peanut in 60 zones they are talking about high speed roads 80,100 km + where if people want to speed you should not impede them based on some sense of egalitarianism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cute generalisation about me. I don’t like the idea of people speeding in zones such as that as it actually promotes unnecessary excessive speed. Know how Colin Sylvia was killed? He was absolutely FLYING down that road.

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cute generalisation about me. I don’t like the idea of people speeding in zones such as that as it actually promotes unnecessary excessive speed. Know how Colin Sylvia was killed? He was absolutely FLYING down that road.

It’s not a generalisation about you.
It’s an observation about you based on what you have said.

Anyway, Colin Silvia was killed driving like a peanut in a 60 zone or was it a 50 zone? No one on this board condones that manner of driving.

As you said in another post “I’ve got no issues with people who speed ridiculously wrapping themselves around poles or trees and killing them selves”

Perth gal

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
People that tailgate s**t me. It’s happening more and more . Like people tailgate you when not only you are going the correct speed but there’s another car in front of you. Where do you want me to go &$*( head?

troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
People that tailgate s**t me. It’s happening more and more . Like people tailgate you when not only you are going the correct speed but there’s another car in front of you. Where do you want me to go &$*( head?

I know you don’t want to damage your car, but I’ve started tapping the brake then braking suddenly. They get the message pretty soon.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can't believe the stupidity in this thread. "I'm gonna block them in so they can't get past me". "I'm gonna make them overtake me on the left". "Break test them".
Geez it's not that hard. If I see someone coming up behind me, I'll move over, they overtake, I'll go back to the right lane. Happy days, no stress for either driver and no need for dangerous driving.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
Lol. It isn’t in Australia. Don’t ******* speed, it intimidates people and causes accidents because our culture isn’t like a European one with the Autobahn.

Dumb comment.
How does speeding intimidate people?

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s not a generalisation about you.
It’s an observation about you based on what you have said.

Anyway, Colin Silvia was killed driving like a peanut in a 60 zone or was it a 50 zone? No one on this board condones that manner of driving.

As you said in another post “I’ve got no issues with people who speed ridiculously wrapping themselves around poles or trees and killing them selves”
You’ve never seen me drive to determine whether I am like that.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
How does speeding intimidate people?
Tailgating people by roaring up behind them. That’s intimidating behaviour. Jesus, the amount of people getting defensive here when all I’ve done is call out aggressive and dangerous behaviour.

Back