I Heard that Before it was Popular.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Yeah I remember watching an American awards show in early January 2001 and Creed and 3 Doors Down were both receiving popular awards, before they really became household names here.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
This doesnt really fit the bill but flying back from Singapore with work I listened to the then brand new Black Eyed Peas album, but I kept going back to one song playing it over and over and over while i was in business class loading up on the free cocktails. I gotta feeling was huge a few months later once they released it.

I also bought the Creep "cassingle" back in the day, but for some reason didn't get back into Radiohead again til Ok Computer.

My mate did better than this though, he saw Nirvana touring on Nevermind at the Prince of Wales in St Kilda. He also saw the Smashing Pumpkins there a couple of years later. Both just before they went nuts especially Nirvana.
your mate beat me but i did see Nirvana at the BDO 92, I first heard of them on Karen Leng's show station to Station on Triple R and heard Never Mind way before it became a sensation where it blew my mind. Station to Station was a great radio show and I heard so many bands before they became famous on that

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I saw Pulp at Glastonbury in 1995 before Different Class was released in Australia and Common People was a hit here.

I don't think they were ever really popular, but I was a fan of Devo before they had any success and was given the nickname a year before "Whip It" was released.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Forget what station it was but the DJ said here's a new song from a new band from the US.

Turned out to be Faith No More with Epic

Went and saw the at The Geelong West Town Hall later that year. That was in 1990.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
No Doubt I was a fan of when they were a ska band in the early 90's and nobody was listening much to them before they exploded with Tragic Kingdom.

Similar with Rancid, though I was listening to them when they were Operation Ivy and then Tim and Matt formed Rancid so was into them before they became famous.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Listening to the BBC late one morning and they too played a brand new release from a new band that exploded about 6 months later out here.

That was Supergrass and song was Caught by the Fuzz.

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I drove the bus that Paul MacCartney met George Harrison on which took them to Liverpool Institute every morning, and when I moved to Birmingham a few years later I worked at the same sheet metal factory as Tony Iommi. I was cracking jokes with him and he got distracted and the machine cut off the top of his middle and ring fingers on his right hand - I lent him my Django Reinhardt records and suggested that he tune down to D

VicPark Bitter

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2016
Bottom of the Barrel
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I drove the bus that Paul MacCartney met George Harrison on which took them to Liverpool Institute every morning, and when I moved to Birmingham a few years later I worked at the same sheet metal factory as Tony Iommi. I was cracking jokes with him and he got distracted and the machine cut off the top of his middle and ring fingers on his right hand - I lent him my Django Reinhardt records and suggested that he tune down to D
reminds me of the time back in the summer of 68 or there abouts, was at a Obs-Tweedle gig in Walsall.
i was at the gig with a mate, a young up and coming guitarist called Jimmy page. Jimmy was nonplussed with the band but impressed by the singer.
being a close friend of the singer i introduced the two after the show,
Jimmy Page meet Robert Plant

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
reminds me of the time back in the summer of 68 or there abouts, was at a Obs-Tweedle gig in Walsall.
i was at the gig with a mate, a young up and coming guitarist called Jimmy page. Jimmy was nonplussed with the band but impressed by the singer.
being a close friend of the singer i introduced the two after the show,
Jimmy Page meet Robert Plant
There must be Girl involved somewhere :)

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
I'm still waiting for them to become popular :(

Circa Waves, FIDLAR are two bands I absolutely love but haven't really cracked it over here and have both been around since ~2013

I remember seeing Thundamentals back in 2013/14 at Mojos and it was pretty packed but not super packed and last year they were filling out Metros. Didn't fancy seeing them there even though I really enjoyed their latest album at the time, but the vibe of Mojos is always great

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Parkway Drive live at a pub in March 2006 a few months after their debut album came out. Have been my favourite band since that day.
Now have multiple number 1 albums, charted in the US, UK, Germany and others. Recently sold out a 10 000 capacity venue in London and are headlining European festivals. Only getting bigger. I didn't see it going any other way but always super proud and happy for their success.

__Nantes__

Team Captain
Feb 28, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Parkway Drive live at a pub in March 2006 a few months after their debut album came out. Have been my favourite band since that day.
Now have multiple number 1 albums, charted in the US, UK, Germany and others. Recently sold out a 10 000 capacity venue in London and are headlining European festivals. Only getting bigger. I didn't see it going any other way but always super proud and happy for their success.
Interesting one. I saw them in 2003/2004 at some all ages show when I was quite young. They were supporting a band called Evergreen Terrace I believe.

Back