Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually like the idea of using Fog in defence. Letting him ease into the caper there. He'll have more immediate success because it's easier.

Shouldn't just be for key forwards either. Young mids would benefit from time back there. Milera found it tough to start as a high half forward, kills it across half back.

Ricciuto, Goodwin, McLeod, Edwards... our gilt edged combo from yesteryear all started in the backline. As tall forwards Pavlich did it and Nick Riewoldt won the rising star at CHB.

All those examples are from ages ago but I think the practice has ceased not because it's poor for development but rather because having a stable backline is seen as such a priority.

Our back 7 operate in a silo. Six on the field, one on the bench at all times. Have their rotations and structure worked out beforehand. No crossover with anywhere else on the field. Their own coaches who manage that area. Quarter time breaks they have their own meeting as a group. And every team does this.

It's a separate entity. Can't just plonk another player there.

Whether you "trained with the defenders during the preseason" dictates whether you can spend time there during the season. You need to have heavily rehearsed the playbook to even be considered.

Using the backline roles as a development tool has all but disappeared which is a shame. It was a proven method for us but we loved the Mick Doughty's of this world so goddamn much that we ended it.

I actually like the idea of using Fog in defence. Letting him ease into the caper there. He'll have more immediate success because it's easier.

Shouldn't just be for key forwards either. Young mids would benefit from time back there. Milera found it tough to start as a high half forward, kills it across half back.

Ricciuto, Goodwin, McLeod, Edwards... our gilt edged combo from yesteryear all started in the backline. As tall forwards Pavlich did it and Nick Riewoldt won the rising star at CHB.

All those examples are from ages ago but I think the practice has ceased not because it's poor for development but rather because having a stable backline is seen as such a priority.

Our back 7 operate in a silo. Six on the field, one on the bench at all times. Have their rotations and structure worked out beforehand. No crossover with anywhere else on the field. Their own coaches who manage that area. Quarter time breaks they have their own meeting as a group. And every team does this.

Whether you "trained with the defenders during the preseason" dictates whether you can spend time there during the season. You need to have heavily rehearsed the playbook to even be considered.

Using the backline roles as a development tool has all but disappeared which is a shame. It was a proven method for us but we loved the Mick Doughty's of this world so goddamn much that we ended it.
Mackays been learning his craft in the backlines so we are still doing it

How many games does DMAC play this year? For the past 9 years I have been hearing he isn't best 22... Is this the year?

(I think he has one more year left in him!)
Has he ever competed with a healthy list and fit better options?

What position do you have him playing and ahead of who?

If Dmac plays regularly this year when we are virtually injury free, then questions need to be asked.

Should be depth only.

Mackay is the Fairey Swordfish of the Adelaide Crows, theoretically obsolete, but outlived all of his supposed replacements who never quite met expectations.

How many games does DMAC play this year? For the past 9 years I have been hearing he isn't best 22... Is this the year?

(I think he has one more year left in him!)
For me he comes into the AFL side after Matty Wright does.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mackay is the Fairey Swordfish of the Adelaide Crows, theoretically obsolete, but outlived all of his supposed replacements who never quite met expectations.
You haven’t answered the questions.

Hes never had a fit list to compete with and for years we’ve struggled in his area. But whose spot is he taking this year? What position?

Hes never had a fit list to compete with and for years we’ve struggled in his area. But whose spot is he taking this year? What position?
You know he's playing

Just give up all hope like I have

This year? I don't see anyone, the TBF Avenger has finally arrived in the fleet air arm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2017?
23 players played over 15 games and 18 played over 20 games and McKay was one. he was selected best 22 even with a full list available.

2017?
23 players played over 15 games and 18 played over 20 games and McKay was one. he was selected best 22 even with a full list available.
In his area.

In 2017 Seeds had an injury interrupted year, Milera was a baby.

2018 Smiths injured.

With a fit Seeds, Smith, Milera and Atkins, Mackay ain’t playing wing or half back.

He’s not playing the half forward role ahead of Gallucci and Knight.

He’s not playing unless we have injuries.

Anyway this is the Jenkins thread.

Great post - definitely been a shift in mindset over the years. Pykes played in that era though, and suspect he still sees the advantages. No doubt enjoyed Milera's season back there.

Fogarty is such an interesting player - bit old-styled himself. Has plenty of ability and too good to be in the SANFL. We have to find a way to get him in the side. I've heard him say in interviews that he sees himself as a forward, and should be the end game but I agree a season in defense would likely be good for his development. I'm with those who want to see him setled in a spot though - not sure "swingman" is right for a 2nd year player. I'd be curious to try him at CHB. Reads the play well, and even at his age i suspect opposition forwards would hate playing on him, and end up sore.

I see Fog as a very flexible player. He has the size and skills to be able to play in most areas of the ground. The question really is how much can he improve on his endurance to whether trialling him in the midfield?

But back to the flexible theme, these types of players are likely to learn and improve no matter where they play. It’s really just a matter of time and experience. Milera, Gooch, Greenwood, Doedee are similar flexible types who can play various parts of the ground and seemingly improving with each year.

Only the year we went to the Grand Final in 2017. That year we had a ridiculously healthy list (21 players played 18 games or more including DMAC with 22 games).

Or 2012 when we had 20 players play 19 games or more and made a prelim. DMAC played 23 games that year.

The second part of your question is a bit silly. If there were fit better options then he wouldn't be playing.

But I will bite. Whose career do you think David Mackay has stagnated? Which Crows player that left because lack of opportunities and went to another club over the past 10 years that you wish we had kept over DMAC?

This year - he will be coming off the bench. I have him pegged playing between 16 - 20 games. We will have injuries - and he will get his chance. I have him in a bubble alongside players like Jones, Galluci, Knight, Atkins, Douglas - all depending on form and fitness.

I heard Bicks saying when Sando was coaching he wanted to strengthen up the players as fast as possible. He engaged the services of an outside sports scientist to individually test the team and give individualised training programs to increase strength and muscle size as fast as possible. When DMac got his the sports scientist said theres not a lot I can do with you, with your body type you will always find it extremely hard to bulk up or get stronger.

I heard Bicks saying when Sando was coaching he wanted to strengthen up the players as fast as possible. He engaged the services of an outside sports scientist to individually test the team and give individualised training programs to increase strength and muscle size as fast as possible. When DMac got his the sports scientist said theres not a lot I can do with you, with your body type you will always find it extremely hard to bulk up or get stronger.

Ectomorph body type one would assume?

Luckily he's got blistering pace and a long, raking, laser-like right foot.

Only the year we went to the Grand Final in 2017. That year we had a ridiculously healthy list (21 players played 18 games or more including DMAC with 22 games).

Or 2012 when we had 20 players play 19 games or more and made a prelim. DMAC played 23 games that year.

The second part of your question is a bit silly. If there were fit better options then he wouldn't be playing.

But I will bite. Whose career do you think David Mackay has stagnated? Which Crows player that left because lack of opportunities and went to another club over the past 10 years that you wish we had kept over DMAC?

This year - he will be coming off the bench. I have him pegged playing between 16 - 20 games. We will have injuries - and he will get his chance. I have him in a bubble alongside players like Jones, Galluci, Knight, Atkins, Douglas - all depending on form and fitness.
I already explained 2017, Seeds was injured plenty and Milera was still a baby.

Now he’s way behind them now.

We’ve drafted/traded poorly in his area for years, we’ve addressed this now and when we did have options we had injuries, like Smith in 18.

So you’re now conceding he gets games because of injuries, that’s funny.

Back