Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe the stupidity in this thread. "I'm gonna block them in so they can't get past me". "I'm gonna make them overtake me on the left". "Break test them".
Geez it's not that hard. If I see someone coming up behind me, I'll move over, they overtake, I'll go back to the right lane. Happy days, no stress for either driver and no need for dangerous driving.
Except the people that just HAVE to tailgate. * them. Why tailgate?

Tailgating people by roaring up behind them. That’s intimidating behaviour. Jesus, the amount of people getting defensive here when all I’ve done is call out aggressive and dangerous behaviour.
Tailgating and speeding are not the same thing

Except the people that just HAVE to tailgate. **** them. Why tailgate?
I agree, but how is any of the infantile behaviours I mentioned going to stop people tailgating? If anything it will probably encourage more aggressive tailgating. It's about simple respect. Like I said if someone approaches me from behind I move over as a courtesy to keep the road safe and respectful.

Tailgating and speeding are not the same thing
Tailgating is related to speeding. It’s aggressive and moronic behaviour that has the potential to impact lives. Nevertheless, speeding is dangerous in itself and people are killed because of it. It’s preventable, all of it. Just be patient out there.

I agree, but how is any of the infantile behaviours I mentioned going to stop people tailgating? If anything it will probably encourage more aggressive tailgating. It's about simple respect. Like I said if someone approaches me from behind I move over as a courtesy to keep the road safe and respectful.
Maybe I just can’t stand *******s.... I do respect your point. Perhaps I need to drop my ego.

It’s not a generalisation about you.
It’s an observation about you based on what you have said.

Anyway, Colin Silvia was killed driving like a peanut in a 60 zone or was it a 50 zone? No one on this board condones that manner of driving.

As you said in another post “I’ve got no issues with people who speed ridiculously wrapping themselves around poles or trees and killing them selves”
I think it was a 60 zone. But by the look of his car wreckage he’d have been doing about 90. The tarp over his car would suggest he wouldn’t have maintained his boyish good looks post collision.

I don’t in the sense that I won’t be intimidated, but I don’t move out of the way. I guess it’s a bit stupid.
I'm not intimidated, I've just spent several years of my life driving around Europe, UK and Northern America and have seen a better way than the Australian driving style.

Tailgating is related to speeding. It’s aggressive and moronic behaviour that has the potential to impact lives. Nevertheless, speeding is dangerous in itself and people are killed because of it. It’s preventable, all of it. Just be patient out there.
I think you might be better served catching public transport.

The rigidity of our road laws in Australia are large part of the problem.

Talk to any foreigner about driving here and they are shocked at how anal we are about our road rules.

I have driven in the US were the posted speed limit was 70mph yet everyone was doing 85mph minimum, even the cops were rolling with it because traffic was flowing smoothly. You probably would have had a panic attack puttering along at 65mph and caused a crash by the sounds of your attitude.

I’m all for being courteous and will move out of the way when I can but there are definitely people that tailgate when there’s cars in front and to the side of you. I don’t even think it’s aggressive, it’s just a complete fundamental failure to understand the danger they are putting everyone in if there’s an accident; a two-car accident can suddenly become a four or five car accident if everyone is bunched together. I wish police pulled more people over for dangerous tailgating; it doesn’t even need to be a fine at first, just a warning to try and change some pretty poor driver behaviour.

Idiots who do burnouts up and down my street all night. I don't really enjoy the smell of burning rubber while I sleep.

And the fact that they leave marks on the road that I work to pay taxes and rates for while they sit on their unemployed arses.

GAGF.

Idiots who do burnouts up and down my street all night. I don't really enjoy the smell of burning rubber while I sleep.

And the fact that they leave marks on the road that I work to pay taxes and rates for while they sit on their unemployed arses.

GAGF.

Is your place on a bus route? It's difficult to put speed bumps on a bus route.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have driven in the US were the posted speed limit was 70mph yet everyone was doing 85mph minimum, even the cops were rolling with it because traffic was flowing smoothly. You probably would have had a panic attack puttering along at 65mph and caused a crash by the sounds of your attitude.

No, realistically in a traffic situation like that in the US drivers would gently pop their indicator on, move to the left, pass the car and move back to the right.

No, realistically in a traffic situation like that in the US drivers would gently pop their indicator on, move to the left, pass the car and move back to the right.
I try to do that, i don't like it done to me, so i don't do it to other drivers

I’m all for being courteous and will move out of the way when I can but there are definitely people that tailgate when there’s cars in front and to the side of you. I don’t even think it’s aggressive, it’s just a complete fundamental failure to understand the danger they are putting everyone in if there’s an accident; a two-car accident can suddenly become a four or five car accident if everyone is bunched together. I wish police pulled more people over for dangerous tailgating; it doesn’t even need to be a fine at first, just a warning to try and change some pretty poor driver behaviour.
Yeah for sure. I won't move over if there's cars in front of me. No point in that. Can't say I remember being tailgated in this situation though. I must be one of the lucky ones.

Talk to any foreigner about driving here and they are shocked at how anal we are about our road rules.

Once again, thanks for assuming I putter along when you’ve never seen me drive. All I’ve said is stick to the ******* speed limit. It doesn’t mean I drive like an old grandpa mate. You’ve got to try and be a bit sharper than that.

Just because you’ve posted about something happening in America doesn’t justify speeding here beyond the limit. Just don’t speed, it’s really not hard to understand. And once again, I’ve never intimated I drive at rat pace, I just DONT SPEED.

Do you understand the difference?

Re: Tailgating in built up areas. Not freeways.

Lots of people tail gate without any malice . They’re just sht drivers who follow the car in front. Yes middle aged ladies I’m talking about you.

Some people tail gate in peak hour to protect the space in front of them because after all it’s their little space not anyone else’s.

On another topic, does anyone else see the classic bogan way of holding the steering wheel?

One hand fully outstretched over the middle of the steering wheel. Seat back enough to allow the arm to fully outstretch. Hand doesn’t deviate from this position. Eyes fixed on the car in front and often seen tailgating.

Re: Tailgating in built up areas. Not freeways.

Lots of people tail gate without any malice . They’re just sht drivers who follow the car in front. Yes middle aged ladies I’m talking about you.

Some people tail gate in peak hour to protect the space in front of them because after all it’s their little space not anyone else’s.

On another topic, does anyone else see the classic bogan way of holding the steering wheel?

One hand fully outstretched over the middle of the steering wheel. Seat back enough to allow the arm to fully outstretch. Hand doesn’t deviate from this position. Eyes fixed on the car in front and often seen tailgating.
Often see it. Or the guys with sun tanned right forearm.

Can't believe the stupidity in this thread. "I'm gonna block them in so they can't get past me". "I'm gonna make them overtake me on the left". "Break test them".
Geez it's not that hard. If I see someone coming up behind me, I'll move over, they overtake, I'll go back to the right lane. Happy days, no stress for either driver and no need for dangerous driving.

And what if you are in the left lane?

Lane doesnt matter one iota, I get tailgated the * out of no matter which lane im in.

And what if you are in the left lane?

Lane doesnt matter one iota, I get tailgated the **** out of no matter which lane im in.
Well hang on mate, according to some people here you probably drive like a grandpa, maybe just stick to public transport you turtle.

Well hang on mate, according to some people here you probably drive like a grandpa, maybe just stick to public transport you turtle.

If im 100% honest, i would love to speed. Sif i wanna go 80km/h on the ******* tulla- where it looks like there is absolutely no roadworks around and there is no reason why it cant be 100.

But end of the day i dont want a ticket and ill do the ******* speed limit.

Yeah pretty spot on. If you are a good driver you should know whats around you and can clearly see someone coming up behind you who is going faster than you. As you say, move over, let them past and if you need to get back into that lane then move over after they pass.

It can be difficult sometimes if you are in the right lane doing 100km/h overtaking someone doing 98km/h, takes a while to get past. Does hold up the guy wanting to do 110km/h but they have to suck it up until ive passed the driver doing 98km/h

Remove this Banner Ad

Back