Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

In regards to tailgating, about 8 years ago I was in the right lane with a car next to me in the left lane, both doing the speed limit (so couldn't move left). This idiot comes up behind me and tailgates me, like right behind me. I tapped the brakes slightly just to say backup a bit, but he sits right on my ass. After a while I get sick of him so speed up a bit, get passed the car on the left, before I have a chance to move left, this guy goes left, speeds up, moves back to my lane in front of me and chucks his brakes on fully - then drives off. ******* ridiculous. All because I maybe held him up for a minute while I was doing the speed limit and had no-where else to go.

Yeah pretty spot on. If you are a good driver you should know whats around you and can clearly see someone coming up behind you who is going faster than you. As you say, move over, let them past and if you need to get back into that lane then move over after they pass.

It can be difficult sometimes if you are in the right lane doing 100km/h overtaking someone doing 98km/h, takes a while to get past. Does hold up the guy wanting to do 110km/h but they have to suck it up until ive passed the driver doing 98km/h
Cool, so the guy doing 110 is speeding.

Yeah, I'm talkin right lane only. Unless you wanna pull in to the emergency lane to let them past. 😂😂😂

:p

Jesus, speaking of that have had a couple cars pull out of the emergency lane into the freeway of course when I'm coming up behind them, scares the effing s**t outta ya.

In regards to tailgating, about 8 years ago I was in the right lane with a car next to me in the left lane, both doing the speed limit (so couldn't move left). This idiot comes up behind me and tailgates me, like right behind me. I tapped the brakes slightly just to say backup a bit, but he sits right on my ass. After a while I get sick of him so speed up a bit, get passed the car on the left, before I have a chance to move left, this guy goes left, speeds up, moves back to my lane in front of me and chucks his brakes on fully - then drives off. ******* ridiculous. All because I maybe held him up for a minute while I was doing the speed limit and had no-where else to go.
Yep and this is the crux of it. The dickhead driver is going to be a dickhead regardless. Doing petty little things described in this thread isn't going to make them slow down or drive more passively. It's going to rile them up and create a more dangerous situation, as you experienced. Like you said it's about awareness to create an overall safer environment.

Once again, thanks for assuming I putter along when you’ve never seen me drive. All I’ve said is stick to the ******* speed limit. It doesn’t mean I drive like an old grandpa mate. You’ve got to try and be a bit sharper than that.
We would all be safer without speed limits, as long as there was no way to measure your speed you would have a lot more people driving to conditions.

The concept of being able to see how fast you are going is what prompts people to 'speed' in the first place.

Thats my theory anyway.

And therein lies a conundrum. You are abiding by the law and you should not be abused for it at all.

Question for everyone. If everyone did the speed limit and at a given time three drivers are side by side on a 3 lane highway what happens if someone wishes to overtake? I like traffic flowing so in this instance drivers on the right overtake middle and move over. Middle driver can do the same, or not. But it opens the right lane. So as Frumpy did correctly, speed up momentarily and then move to the left lane. The dickhead tailgating was exactly that.

Another question. Do those who sit in the right lane (speed limit or otherwise), why do you do it? No spite or malice, just a question. Of course if you're goinng to turn right you gotta be there.

a parking related vent here:

On my way home from work there is a Dan Murphys on a two lane road, with the left lane a clearway from 4.00 - 7.00pm. It seems every second night someone pulls up out front of Dan's no doubt to buy a quick six pack or bottle of wine (which to be fair is a quality purchase). However it obviously holds up traffic and forces the two lanes to merge into one. Thing is, they could easily park around the back if they drove around the block, but would rather hold up traffic for a few minutes then go out of their own way.

Feel your pain Admiral. I live on a similar road, and a single parked car can cause tailbacks that go back for blocks. It doesn't even make sense how bad it causes congestion. The towies do a pretty good job of removing offenders but it takes time for them to get to and do so.

So, this week I'm walking along this road during clearway o'clock and someone's pulled up to park. I only noticed them because a nearby workman counselled them about the risks of doing so (car impounded). I keep going about my business and make my purchases. I come back out onto the street and am surprised to see the car still there? I get a bit closer and I notice that they've left a sentry, sitting in the driver's seat looking at their phone. No doubt to drive off should they spy an oncoming tow truck. Meanwhile, the traffic has banked back two sets of lights. Special.

On a perhaps related note, I think the identification and subsequent avoidance of dickheads is an underrated skill.

I was stuck behind someone who needed to turn right to park in a 45 degree park outside a strip of shops yesterday, on a single lane road and with no space to pass on the inside.

That happens occasionally; it's annoying but you deal with it.

What made this intolerable was that the idiot in question had at his disposal many of the aforementioned 45 degree spots, as the vast majority of them were empty; however, the one right in front of the shop he wanted to go to was occupied by someone who had just jumped out of the car and run inside that same shop, and said idiot in front obviously didn't want to have to walk even ten metres and park in the spot quite literally three spots down from the shop that was free, so instead he sat there stubbornly with right indicator on, blocking everyone and waiting in vain for his perfect spot to open back up. If the hold up had been because there was too much oncoming traffic to turn safely, so be it, but that wasn't the case.

In the end he was forced to settle for the arduous task of needing to walk ten metres to his shop and park further down by the strength of the infuriated tooting both from myself and the other 20 or so people queued up behind us.

It was honestly the most astonishingly selfish bit of driving I've seen I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was stuck behind someone who needed to turn right to park in a 45 degree park outside a strip of shops yesterday, on a single lane road and with no space to pass on the inside.

What made this intolerable was that the idiot in question had at his disposal many of the aforementioned 45 degree spots, as the vast majority of them were empty; however, the one right in front of the shop he wanted to go to was occupied by someone who had just jumped out of the car and run inside that same shop, and said idiot in front obviously didn't want to have to walk even ten metres and park in the spot quite literally three spots down from the shop that was free, so instead he sat there stubbornly with right indicator on, blocking everyone and waiting in vain for his perfect spot to open back up. If the hold up had been because there was too much oncoming traffic to turn safely, so be it, but that wasn't the case.

In the end he was forced to settle for the arduous task of needing to walk ten metres to his shop and park further down by the strength of the infuriated tooting both from myself and the other 20 or so people queued up behind us.

It was honestly the most astonishingly selfish bit of driving I've seen I reckon.
Most people are selfish drivers. In the streets around my place people park in the shittest locations. Across from T intersections, on blind corners across from single unbroken lines, too close to intersections all so long as they aren't far away from their house.

There really should be blanket no standing zones immediately across from every side street T-intersection, I think.

Might be annoying for the people who happen to live at that spot, but they really can be quite dangerous.

Just playing devils advocate here but they might have been picking somebody up who is disabled.

Just playing devils advocate here but they might have been picking somebody up who is disabled.
It's the only thing that would excuse it, I guess. There is no disabled spot at the exact location in question, but I guess it doesn't completely exclude the possibility of it.

Even so though, if that was the case, why not simply park in one of the other many spots and then move into the intended one as soon as it becomes vacant?

It's the only thing that would excuse it, I guess. There is no disabled spot at the exact location in question, but I guess it doesn't completely exclude the possibility of it.

Even so though, if that was the case, why not simply park in one of the other many spots and then move into the intended one as soon as it becomes vacant?

I think you’re right. Reason being, as you said, (we’ll to paraphrase) most people are stupid and selfish.

With regards to parking.

There’s two schools of thought. Especially with busy shopping centres.

1. Drive around in circles looking for prime real estate; stalk people carrying bags back to their cars, wait patiently while they load their shopping and strap in the kids and eventually get a spot near the door.

2. Keep driving up a couple of levels higher where you know you’ll find a park straight away. Walk an extra 50-100 metres to the entrance.

today at chadstone the fashion capital i parked on a level in a spot that was basically right in front of the exit of the carpark. hence when i left i did not need to turn the steering wheel, just rolled the car out.
Winning

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

A side street I drive through passes by a 24 hour gym in a local shopping centre. Being wide enough for 2 cars to pass only, each side has a swag of No Standing (bright red no less) signs

Every morning 6-8 numbnuts parked reducing it to a single lane shitfight so they can park right at the gym door rather than walk up through the car park

*******s

Last edited:
Had a tailgater up my clacker yesterday, couldn't go any faster due to traffic, he changed lanes and go stuck behind a slower moving car, the tailgater started to honk even though the other car couldn't go anywhere, my lane started to go faster and he couldn't change lanes, road changed into 3 lanes at the traffic lights and he flew down the inside lane then got held up when trying to merge back

further down the road, i think he mistook a parking area for the turn off because he went flying through it but got held up waiting for the traffic to clear, he then got stuck behind me at the lights a few km's down the road, karma worked well on him

Hard to see but the traffic light ahead on the left has an arrow signalling left turn (in red), and to its right above it lights indicating to go STRAIGHT.

Can someone explain why this tells you you can go straight when there is a sign next to it that says no entry?

View attachment 623575
Both of the lights on the far side have red straight arrows for straight that stay on.
KTb6Fbe.png

I suspect it's some non standard light.

There's another similar thing in St Kilda
oBmacjI.png

After a while I get sick of him so speed up a bit, get passed the car on the left, before I have a chance to move left, this guy goes left, speeds up...

This is when it gets really dangerous.

I always get out of the way when people want to fly past in the right line too, but the other day a tradie in a ute comes roaring up behind me while I'm in the right lane overtaking traffic in the left. I was already sitting about 5km over the limit and as soon as I cleared the traffic I indicated to move left but he'd already floored it and swerved left to get around me.

If I hadn't had one eye on my rear-view and swerved straight back into the right lane he would have rear-ended me at 110+ km an hour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back