Roast Heritage Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Just adding a few things. Will edit this post when more comes to mind.

Since the re-unification in 2010/Legal re-unification in September 2013.

Things taken away between 2013-2019:
Our Zones
Our Juniors
SANFL listed players raided by other SANFL clubs
Academy side
Butchered motto: "We exist to win premierships" to "We exist to win premierships and make our community proud"
Tradition of the Captain wearing No.1 at both AFL & SANFL level (Replaced by Co-Captains Wines & Jonas, and "Leadership player" Cam Sutcliffe)

Things that could be gone between 2020-2022:
Prison Bars jumper at ANY level. (If we leave the SANFL and don't put in a convincing enough case to wear it in the AFL/AFLR/AFLW comps)
SANFL side
Magpies nickname
Port Magpies logo
Home (SANFL) games at Alberton

What we will have left:
The Port Adelaide name
1870 on the back of a 10 year old jumper
Port panel on back of that jumper
37 flags hanging at our home Alberton Oval
The Creed
NTUA (Was a message directed to the SANFL but it seems our club is cannibalising itself)

The thoughts of a Vic born and raised PAFC supporter, that has never been to Alberton or Adelaide oval, but loves this club all the same.

What have we lost
  • Our expectation to win
  • The fear and respect of our opponents
  • Our traditional SANFL rivalries
What has been taken away
  • Our development zones
  • Our junior squads
  • To a large extent, our voice on the board of our club
What have we given away
  • Our guernsey, The Prison Bars
  • Our song and our symbol
  • Our captain, wearing number 1 (retired, for now)
What do we still have
  • Our football club, We Are Port Adelaide
  • Proud and passionate supporters that hold the club to account and demand success
  • 149 years of history, 36 SANFL Premierships, 1 AFL premiership
  • Our home base at Alberton Oval
  • The yoke of the SANFL (SMA) around our necks
What have we gained
  • Our deserved place in the highest competition in the land
  • Our world class home ground, Adelaide Oval
  • A future for our club
  • A nemesis and rival, a corporate shadow of a club, the antithesis of who we are
  • The financial strength and broad reach, that helps us do good for our community
What do we want back
  • Our expectation to win
We regain these through exploits on the field – Premierships, starting this year
  • Our voice on the board
These, my friends are up to us. Let’s make it happen.

The thoughts of a Vic born and raised PAFC supporter, that has never been to Alberton or Adelaide oval, but loves this club all the same.

What have we lost
  • Our expectation to win
What has been taken away
  • Our development zones
  • Our junior squads
What have we given away
What do we still have
  • Proud and passionate supporters that hold the club to account and demand success
What have we gained
  • A future for our club
  • A nemesis and rival, a corporate shadow of a club, the antithesis of who we are
  • The financial strength and broad reach, that helps us do good for our community
What do we want back
  • Our expectation to win
We regain these through exploits on the field – Premierships, starting this year
  • Our voice on the board
Great post

The only Port Adelaide heritage I care about is winning premierships. That’s what wearing the 1 was meant to be about - a captain who was dedicated to winning a flag and who everyone looked to as the leader of the team. A player that was both loved by his teammates while those same teammates feared letting him down.

Since we don’t have one player with both those qualities - we are going with two that have one of each, and one player that has both but for whatever reason wasn’t seen as being strong enough in either. Is it the solution we wanted? Nope. But it is a solution to the problem we have.

Jonas himself said that empathy was something that he didn’t have a lot of, and Wines does. That tells you exactly why Tom could never be captain in his own right.

It’s the same thing with the academy - what is the point of it when you are actively sabotaging the careers of young players who just want to be the best players they can be by operating it under such bullshit conditions?

This is a football club. The football is the sole reason for every decision made. To give us the best chance of winning premierships.

Things that should be non-negotiable

- Our Home is Alberton Oval
- We are first and foremost the Port Adelaide Football Club. Nicknames can come and go but should ultimately be in the background.
- Captain wears #1
- Prison Bars
- We live and die by the words of the creed. Everything we do from the Chairman to the boot studder to the social media team should be measured against it.

*Vision cuts to boot studder studding boots*

“.....hey, why do i always get brought up? I’m just some guy trying to earn a living studding boots”.

- Boot studder.

The only Port Adelaide heritage I care about is winning premierships. That’s what wearing the 1 was meant to be about - a captain who was dedicated to winning a flag and who everyone looked to as the leader of the team. A player that was both loved by his teammates while those same teammates feared letting him down.

Since we don’t have one player with both those qualities - we are going with two that have one of each, and one player that has both but for whatever reason wasn’t seen as being strong enough in either. Is it the solution we wanted? Nope. But it is a solution to the problem we have.

Jonas himself said that empathy was something that he didn’t have a lot of, and Wines does. That tells you exactly why Tom could never be captain in his own right.

It’s the same thing with the academy - what is the point of it when you are actively sabotaging the careers of young players who just want to be the best players they can be by operating it under such bullshit conditions?

This is a football club. The football is the sole reason for every decision made. To give us the best chance of winning premierships.

This is a football club.

If I just want to watch the best football on offer I don't need to be a part of it, I can just watch the top teams on TV every week, no allegiance required and I can pick whoever wins that week as my fave.

Just adding a few things. Will edit this post when more comes to mind.

Since the re-unification in 2010/Legal re-unification in September 2013.

Things taken away between 2013-2019:
Our Zones
Our Juniors
SANFL listed players raided by other SANFL clubs
Academy side
Butchered motto: "We exist to win premierships" to "We exist to win premierships and make our community proud"
Tradition of the Captain wearing No.1 at both AFL & SANFL level (Replaced by Co-Captains Wines & Jonas, and "Leadership player" Cam Sutcliffe)

Things that could be gone between 2020-2022:
Prison Bars jumper at ANY level. (If we leave the SANFL and don't put in a convincing enough case to wear it in the AFL/AFLR/AFLW comps)
SANFL side
Magpies nickname
Port Magpies logo
Home (SANFL) games at Alberton

What we will have left:
The Port Adelaide name
1870 on the back of a 10 year old jumper
Port panel on back of that jumper
37 flags hanging at our home Alberton Oval
The Creed
NTUA (Was a message directed to the SANFL but it seems our club is cannibalising itself)
For things that could be gone how about Alberton Oval? I wouldn’t put it past this current administration to ditch the Alberton for an oval closer to the city I mean if it can make us more successful (they don’t need to give us a reason explaining how it’ll make us successful going by current events so just as long as they say it, it must be true) then why not?

People losing their s**t left right and centre. I want to address many of these gripes and put them in the context of where our club now sits and the competition it now plays in. Specifically I want to compare our situation with the big traditional Victorian clubs (The VFL Big 4)who I think we share many traits with. I will do it with the context of what Sleezy has written above:

What have we lost
  • Our expectation to win. Yep no doubt. But this is not a concept specific to Port. Carlton have been a joke for 2 decades. The last time Essendon won a final kids now getting their drivers licences were being born. Richmond hadn't made a GF in 36 years
  • The fear and respect of our opponents. As Above.
  • Our traditional SANFL rivalries. We've moved on to bigger and better things. But in saying that we now have the biggest rivalry in the League.
What has been taken away
  • Our development zones. No other AFL clubs have these out side the northern academies. We are an AFL club. All (V)AFL clubs lost these years ago.
  • Our junior squads. As above.
  • To a large extent, our voice on the board of our club. This is a problem I agree. Compared to the Victorian clubs the members don't have much of a say. This is one area which should attract constant agitation. Whilst we are heavily indebted to the AFL it is hard to change, so lets concentrate on getting that debt level down.
What have we given away
  • Our guernsey, The Prison Bars. Outside special occassions this is a lost cause. We all love the guernsey and would love it to be our AFL guernsey, but it just ain't going to happen. It just doesn't have the support at a broader AFL level and never will. It was a compromise we had to give to get into the AFL. I suspect most of the agnst from the supporter base is wrapped around the fondness and yearning for what the club was when wearing that guernsey to what it is now.
  • Our song and our symbol. See above
  • Our captain, wearing number 1 (retired, for now). See Above.
What do we still have
  • Our football club, We Are Port Adelaide. Correct. We moved into the AFL to survive. No other SA club has this and never will. Imagine the alternative.
  • Proud and passionate supporters that hold the club to account and demand success. Indeed we do. But are they any more passionate than Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond or Essendon? We don't hold a mortgage on passion.
  • 149 years of history, 36 SANFL Premierships, 1 AFL premiership. Yes. It is club history and it always should be remembered and bettered.
  • Our home base at Alberton Oval. Yep. But look at Collingwood. They no longer are based at their famous Victoria Park Headquarters. Ditto Essendon at Windy Hill. Place is important, but not if it becomes constraining.
  • The yoke of the SANFL (SMA) around our necks. This is something that other clubs do not have to contend with. This will be a continual struggle, but one that can and will be won. Look at how far we've come on this. We have moved away from that concrete shithole at West Lakes, we have got our licenses back from the SANFL, they no longer appoint our board.... all in the space of 15 years. It is heartening to see our biggest foe and former SANFL Sycophants finally starting to come to the party, this will be the one thing that hastens the the loosening of the SANFL noose. It will come.
When the AFL reserves come, we will be out of the SANFL. No more Magpies. It will be sad for many, there will be a lot of belly aching, making even this co-captain over reaction seem like a Sunday School Picnic. But it has to happen. It's time we grew up. Those campaigners don't want us any rate and we'd be spreading our club way too thin. We are first and Foremost an AFL Club now.

We need to concentrate on being a big club and powerful club on and off the field. The only way you get respect in this competition is if you earn it. Strong financially is the key. This is a key component in being strong on the field. Everything should be about these 2 factors. Diminishing the SANFL's grip on us plays a big part in this. When you are strong, it buys you influence at AFL house. We need to look forward. So much of the bullshit being spouted at the moment is about looking back. Lets get on with it. If we continue to fail over the next couple of seasons, the whole board (and specifically coach) needs a clean out and we need to reset. Having 2 Captains is such a tiny issue. The world has changed. Football has changed. What hasn't changed is the goal is to win the Premiership. Lets get on with trying to achieve that.

Last edited:
People losing their s**t left right and centre. I want to address many of these gripes and put them in the context of where our club now sits and the competition it now plays in. Specifically I want to compare our situation with
This isn't a losing s**t thread, this is a discussion on what actually matters to people. Then we can see what matters to the vast majority. When we and the club know that, they can make informed decisions and shot wont be 'lost'.

Maybe if we had done this two years ago, the idea of a co-captain (before it became reality) wouldn't have bothered people enough to add it to this list, and the club could have used that info in saying...well you said changing this was fine.

People losing their s**t left right and centre. I want to address many of these gripes and put them in the context of where our club now sits and the competition it now plays in. Specifically I want to compare our situation with the big traditional Victorian clubs (The VFL Big 4)who I think we share many traits with. I will do it with the context of what Sleezy has written above:

What have we lost
  • Our expectation to win. Yep no doubt. But this is not a concept specific to Port. Carlton have been a joke for 2 decades. The last time Essendon won a final kids now getting their drivers licences were being born. Richmond hadn't made a GF in 36 years
  • The fear and respect of our opponents. As Above.
  • Our traditional SANFL rivalries. We've moved on to bigger and better things. But in saying that we now have the biggest rivalry in the League.
What has been taken away
  • Our development zones. No other AFL clubs have these out side the northern academies. We are an AFL club. All (V)AFL clubs lost these years ago.
  • Our junior squads. As above.
  • To a large extent, our voice on the board of our club. This is a problem I agree. Compared to the Victorian clubs the members don't have much of a say. This is one area which should attract constant agitation. Whilst we are heavily indebted to the AFL it is hard to change, so lets concentrate on getting that debt level down.
What have we given away
  • Our guernsey, The Prison Bars. Outside special occassions this is a lost cause. We all love the guernsey and would love it to be our AFL guernsey, but it just ain't going to happen. It just doesn't have the support at a broader AFL level and never will. It was a compromise we had to give to get into the AFL. I suspect most of the agnst from the supporter base is wrapped around the fondness and yearning for what the club was when wearing that guernsey to what it is now.
  • Our song and our symbol. See above
  • Our captain, wearing number 1 (retired, for now). See Above.
What do we still have
  • Our football club, We Are Port Adelaide. Correct. We moved into the AFL to survive. No other SA club has this and never will. Imagine the alternative.
  • Proud and passionate supporters that hold the club to account and demand success. Indeed we do. But are they any more passionate than Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond or Essendon? We don't hold a mortgage on passion.
  • 149 years of history, 36 SANFL Premierships, 1 AFL premiership. Yes. It is club history and it always should be remembered and bettered.
  • Our home base at Alberton Oval. Yep. But look at Collingwood. They no longer are based at their famous Victoria Park Headquarters. Ditto Essendon at Windy Hill. Place is important, but not if it becomes constraining.
  • The yoke of the SANFL (SMA) around our necks. This is something that other clubs do not have to contend with. This will be a continual struggle, but one that can and will be won. Look at how far we've come on this. We have moved away from that concrete shithole at West Lakes, we have got our licenses back from the SANFL, they no longer appoint our board.... all in the space of 15 years. It is heartening to see our biggest foe and former SANFL Sycophants finally starting to come to the party, this will be the one thing that hastens the the loosening of the SANFL noose. It will come.
When the AFL reserves come, we will be out of the SANFL. No more Magpies. It will be sad for many, there will be a lot of belly aching, making even this co-captain over reaction seem like a Sunday School Picnic. But it has to happen. It's time we grew up. Those campaigners don't want us any rate and we'd be spreading our club way too thin. We are first and Foremost an AFL Club now.

We need to concentrate on being a big club and powerful club on and off the field. The only way you get respect in this competition is if you earn it. Strong financially is the key. This is a key component in being strong on the field. Everything should be about these 2 factors. Diminishing the SANFL's grip on us plays a big part in this. When you are strong, it buys you influence at AFL house. We need to look forward. So much of the bullshit being spouted at the moment is about looking back. Lets get on with it. If we continue to fail over the next couple of seasons, the whole board (and specifically coach) needs a clean out and we need to reset. Having 2 Captains is such a tiny issue. The world has changed. Football has changed. What hasn't changed is the goal is to win the Premiership. Lets get on with trying to achieve that.

So what does Port mean to you? What heritage traditions would you like to keep or retain? What stops us from being Crows Lite and should be kept?That's what we are trying to ascertain.

So what does Port mean to you? What heritage traditions would you like to keep or retain? What stops us from being Crows Lite and should be kept?That's what we are trying to ascertain.

We have our home ground and we have our history and we are the Pafc. Comparing us to the Crows just reeks of an inferiority complex.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have our home ground and we have our history and we are the Pafc. Comparing us to the Crows just reeks of an inferiority complex.
It reeks of the reality of where the club is at right now, from 2019 going forward. We were vastly different set up and run clubs up until recently, we had a heartland, we had a proper club set up, fragmented at times, yes , but still a proper football club set up representing port adelaide from juniors through to the highest level in the land. They were just a team that played in the AFL, with nothing else.
Now, as of 2019 going forward, we have nothing of what we used to have and are set up exactly the same as them, exactly the same as the soleless mob we have forever rightly mocked.
Yes the sanfl has played a big part of where we are at, but the reality is a lot of it is self afflicted too...

Are you being sarcastic?

The whole point is without these things we do become them, which are sacred?

To me there are five elements that make PAFC what it is:
  • Our History
  • Our Home
  • Our Jumper
  • Our Creed
  • Our Club
Our History can never be taken away from us.

Our Home should never be left.

Our Jumper was sacrificed to gain entry to the AFL, and we have started our journey to reclaim it.

Our Creed is still in place, but are club decisions being held accountable to its tenets? I'm not sure it is, and I'm not sure there is anything we can do about that right now.

Our Club, The PAFC, well and truly still exists. However minimal member representation on the board means it is no longer truly Our Club. This news to be rectified to ensure that Our Creed sits at the heart of everything we do. That the custodians of Our Club are held accountable for their actions. That Our Jumper lives again. That Out Home is maintained as our heartland. That Our History is respected and added to.

It reeks of the reality of where the club is at right now, from 2019 going forward. We were vastly different set up and run clubs up until recently, we had a heartland, we had a proper club set up, fragmented at times, yes , but still a proper football club set up representing port adelaide from juniors through to the highest level in the land. They were just a team that played in the AFL, with nothing else.
Now, as of 2019 going forward, we have nothing of what we used to have and are set up exactly the same as them, exactly the same as the soleless mob we have forever rightly mocked.
Yes the sanfl has played a big part of where we are at, but the reality is a lot of it is self afflicted too...

Every team that plays in the AFL is just a team that plays in the AFL. Nobody has juniors or zones anymore. Some have these shitty women's teams which we'll get eventually, but outside of that it is all about the AFL team. We are not the Crows lite, anymore than Carlton are Collingwood Lite. FMD. All of these ex VFL clubs had the same set up as we did. They don't anymore. That is what the AFL is. That is the reality. Too many people are clinging to the past and wanting the best of both worlds but ending up with the shittest of both worlds. It's not 1988 anymore. The whole landscape has changed.

Every team that plays in the AFL is just a team that plays in the AFL. Nobody has juniors or zones anymore. Some have these shitty women's teams which we'll get eventually, but outside of that it is all about the AFL team. We are not the Crows lite, anymore than Carlton are Collingwood Lite. FMD. All of these ex VFL clubs had the same set up as we did. They don't anymore. That is what the AFL is. That is the reality. Too many people are clinging to the past and wanting the best of both worlds but ending up with the shittest of both worlds. It's not 1988 anymore. The whole landscape has changed.
So why bother? Why not just go for the best team? Why not just turn up for interesting games regardless of the teams playing?

Because there is more to it than that, there is an essence of a club that creates the sacrifice...it sure as s**t isn't because we are footballing well.

You're only tellng half the story. We lost our sanfl zones but now recruit players from all over the country.

Are you being sarcastic?

The whole point is without these things we do become them, which are sacred?

Come on man. This thread only exists because of the co-captaincy. The idea that we could change this one thing and all of a sudden our identity is being pulled into question is ludicrous.

What have we lost
  • Our expectation to win
What has been taken away
  • Our development zones
  • Our junior squads
What have we given away
What do we still have
What have we gained
  • A future for our club
What do we want back
  • Our expectation to win
  • Our voice on the board

We did not give away our guernsey. This was a disgraceful and short sighted condition foisted upon us to gain entry to the AFL.

As for the club song, it would have made no sense at all to keep it.

These 2 items belong in 'What we had to give away to gain entry' section

You're only tellng half the story. We lost our sanfl zones but now recruit players from all over the country.

Come on man. This thread only exists because of the co-captaincy. The idea that we could change this one thing and all of a sudden our identity is being pulled into question is ludicrous.
Mate, I started the PB thread last year on exactly the same premise.

Is this the one you mean? I just came across it

"we exist to win premierships" is now "we exist to win premierships and make our community proud" a needless addition to what was a great motto[/QUOTE]

Ha I didn't realise that was a formal change. Good lord this club really does know how to take a dump on it's heritage.

We did not give away our guernsey. This was a disgraceful and short sighted condition foisted upon us to gain entry to the AFL.

As for the club song, it would have made no sense at all to keep it.

These 2 items belong in 'What we had to give away to gain entry' section
The reason I had them in separate sections is that both our song (Sth Melbourne/Sydney) and our mascot (Collingwood) had existed in the VFL/AFL before we used them. Sydney and Collingwood had rightful claim to them.

The prison bars were ours. No other club had any claim. We sacrificed them to gain entry, and now we're going to reclaim them, as is our right.

One of the most appealing and redeeming features of being a Port supporter was that we were able to revel in the us-against-them attitude due to our sustained superior performance over our SANFL rivals. You can't help but feel that it's all about capitulation, toeing the line and compromise from the club nowadays. Can we enshrine "arrogant mongrel attitude" at all?

97A3B81B-A5C7-4ECC-A2CE-D49647F06541.jpeg

We stood for culture aggression arrogance fearless ruthlessness driven and above all we never ever accepted mediocrity!

Our strong tradition and history is what kept us strong and united during the dark times. Now Port Adelaide has aligned itself with everything we professed we would never be

Sad day when supporters accept spin and how easily we forget the fundamentals that got us to be feared

When we lose one bit of our identity like 1 captain we are then open to accepting the rest.

I remember as a 7 year old dad taking me to Alberton and I asked him will we win today mind you this was before the game had started. His reply “YES” I kept on dad how do you know and in typical Port fashion “because we are Port Adelaide”

It was that non negotiable belief that we would beat anyone.

Even when we did lose going back home all the talk was they got us today wait till finals come.

To get back to the essence of what Port Adelaide is we need more people to call out mediocrity because only then will we stay hungry and succeed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back