Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

England seemed to a few players that played just a test or two against Australia in that 1989 ashes series, and then never heard of them again. Peter Such, Kim Barnett, Phil Newport, Neil Foster, Jarvis, Martyn Moxon, Nick Cook. I suppose the English selectors got sick of the hammerings and decided to try virtually anyone to stop the rot. Funnily, no matter how many changes they made, it got worse for them.

Such did ok. He got a couple of shots at the Aussies from memory, he took a 6-for in 1993

The I can't believe they played tests for Australia XI:

1. Aaron Finch
2. Nic Maddinson
3. Rob Quiney
4. Marnus Labushagne
5. Andrew Hilditch
6. Shaun Young
7. Graham Manou
8. Matthew Nicholson
9. Brad Williams
10. Paul Wilson
11. Michael Beer

Jason Bakker, mid 90s Vic all-rounder who played some matches before Ian Harvey made that position his own.

Lee Germon
Pretty obscure full stop, and even more so when you consider he was captain. He was more or less selected out of the relative blue when Parore lost a bit of form...then soon after made captain for some strange reason. Didn't do enormously well at that, and New Zealand continued to lose, and so soon after he was sacked as captain and player, and never seen at international level again.

A very curious chapter in Kiwi cricket history. Has a bit of the Ian Craigs about it, with less of the prodigal son carrying hopes of the nation flavour as a side.

Lee Germon
Craig Spearman
Riccardo Powell
Adrian Griffiths
Cameron Cuffy
Mark Dekker
Edo Brandis
John Crawley
Nick Knight
Paul Adams
Adam Bacher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will forever be remembered for his Glenn McGrath sledge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the first Steve Smith. IMO, he really was ok as a one day opener, when in form but apart from that, not Test standard, but when we were really s**t like this summer gone ,we had him open in a Test or two. Very similar ill conceived idea like Finch this summer. Probably around 1984 I reckon he opened in a Test v West Indies when they still had 4 truly fearsome fast bowlers.

Jon Davidson, vic off spinner, big hitter and later played for Canada

Quickest WC ton at that time. He's pretty memorable.

Lee Germon
Craig Spearman
Riccardo Powell
Adrian Griffiths
Cameron Cuffy
Mark Dekker
Edo Brandis
John Crawley
Nick Knight
Paul Adams
Adam Bacher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon Paul Adams (Frog in a blender) & Nick Knight (One of England's best ODI bats) are more than obscure.

Here's my strange one.

Michael Ephraims. Born in Sri Lanka (related to Dav Whatmore). Won a Ryder medal very early on. Absolute gun fielder - fielded for Australia as a sub in a couple of ODIs at the MCG (mid-80s?). Got some publicity as 'young up-and-comer'.

I think he only ever played for the Vics on one-dayers - he was also a great Rugby player (for a Mexican), and so moved up north to see if he could make it in either Qld or NSW. He probably had an offer from a club up there, and thought his chances were better in rugby rather than cricket.

Anyone heard of him?

Daryl Smith, he played a handful of games for WA and will likely only be remembered by the 8k, or so of which I was one who were at the WACA in 1981 when he scored 40 odd off 20 balls playing for a full strength WA side, so no mean feat in itself breaking into that side, against Victoria in a McDonald's Cup game.

Was that the game where Jeff Moss took his amazing catch? (It might have been Smith he caught).

Agreed. I think Adams is still numerically SA’s second most prolific test spinner and he’s in their top 10(?) wicket takers overall

That's correct. I saw a graphic on the telecast while i was watching a bit of SA v SL. Tenth on their all time list with 134 wickets at 33 which surprised me. He played 45 tests so not a lot of wickets per test, although only bowled 16 overs per test, primarily due to the presence of Jaques Kallis in that team

That's correct. I saw a graphic on the telecast while i was watching a bit of SA v SL. Tenth on their all time list with 134 wickets at 33 which surprised me. He played 45 tests so not a lot of wickets per test, although only bowled 16 overs per test, primarily due to the presence of Jaques Kallis in that team

If I remember rightly he started to drop off a fair bit once batsmen started to treat him more like a left arm orthodox spinner; because of his strange action it was easier for him to bowl a googly than a standard wrist-spinner and most of his deliveries went away from the right handler.

Here's my strange one.

Michael Ephraims. Born in Sri Lanka (related to Dav Whatmore). Won a Ryder medal very early on. Absolute gun fielder - fielded for Australia as a sub in a couple of ODIs at the MCG (mid-80s?). Got some publicity as 'young up-and-comer'.

I think he only ever played for the Vics on one-dayers - he was also a great Rugby player (for a Mexican), and so moved up north to see if he could make it in either Qld or NSW. He probably had an offer from a club up there, and thought his chances were better in rugby rather than cricket.

Anyone heard of him?

Ephraims, funny name for a Mexican...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back