General motorsport news thread

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Foxtel announced this morning that NASCAR will no longer be broadcast live. Very fustrating with Daytona being on.y a few weeks away. I rarely watched the Monday morning races, but it was always good to have the Sunday morning races on the Tele when I’ve got nothing else on.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Foxtel announced this morning that NASCAR will no longer be broadcast live. Very fustrating with Daytona being on.y a few weeks away. I rarely watched the Monday morning races, but it was always good to have the Sunday morning races on the Tele when I’ve got nothing else on.
What about on Kayo?

Oct 1, 2011
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Celtics, Team Vodafone
Dirtvision showing every race of the World of Outlaws for the first time ever.
Not sure i can justify $40pm, wish it was on fox or kayo.

They did it last year as well for the Sprintcars, not sure about Late Models. If you have a DirtVision account, you can watch the events for free once they get uploaded to the event archive which generally is pretty soon after the event.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
They did it last year as well for the Sprintcars, not sure about Late Models. If you have a DirtVision account, you can watch the events for free once they get uploaded to the event archive which generally is pretty soon after the event.
I think they did some events, but not all?
Ive been listening to the "open red" podcasts, one of the guys on there seems to be involved with the video side of things.
So you can get a dirt vision account without paying?

Oct 1, 2011
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Celtics, Team Vodafone
I think they did some events, but not all?
Ive been listening to the "open red" podcasts, one of the guys on there seems to be involved with the video side of things.
So you can get a dirt vision account without paying?

They definitely covered the entire WoO Sprintcar season in 2018. They are covering the full WoO Sprintcar season, Big Block Modified and WoO Late Model seasons this year as well as the full Knoxville Track Championship. I didn't pay anything to setup my DirtVision account. Only thing you pay for is live video coverage. Live audio is free, archived content is free also. Open Red podcast is great. If you haven't done so yet, listen to the Karl Kinser ep. Ross does video production stuff and Justin does the WRG websites.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
They definitely covered the entire WoO Sprintcar season in 2018. They are covering the full WoO Sprintcar season, Big Block Modified and WoO Late Model seasons this year as well as the full Knoxville Track Championship. I didn't pay anything to setup my DirtVision account. Only thing you pay for is live video coverage. Live audio is free, archived content is free also. Open Red podcast is great. If you haven't done so yet, listen to the Karl Kinser ep. Ross does video production stuff and Justin does the WRG websites.
Awesome, I’ve signed up, just waiting on their confirmation email which is taking forever!
Haven’t listened to Karl yet, have done Steve and Mark.
Really enjoyed the Donny Schatz one.

I usually watch a recording when i get home on Monday nights, can FF all the add's ect. Will have to download them now. For live, TrackPass is available in Australia at $15 a month or $125 a year.

diligaf473

Club Legend
Dec 11, 2013
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chargers, WHU, AUFC
Awesome, I’ve signed up, just waiting on their confirmation email which is taking forever!
Haven’t listened to Karl yet, have done Steve and Mark.
Really enjoyed the Donny Schatz one.
Good to see some dirt track fans on BF. On the 1st of Feb I secured grandstand tickets for Knoxville WoO in August and also tickets for 2 nights at Eldora the week before to see the NASCAR trucks race there. This has always been a dream of mine and me and mate bit the bullet and decided to head over there a week before we got the tickets.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Good to see some dirt track fans on BF. On the 1st of Feb I secured grandstand tickets for Knoxville WoO in August and also tickets for 2 nights at Eldora the week before to see the NASCAR trucks race there. This has always been a dream of mine and me and mate bit the bullet and decided to head over there a week before we got the tickets.
Awesome, I went to Knoxville and Jackson Speedway in 2013 really enjoyed it, the track size and speed is the big difference.
I think we (Aus) can put on just as good a show.

diligaf473

Club Legend
Dec 11, 2013
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chargers, WHU, AUFC
Awesome, I went to Knoxville and Jackson Speedway in 2013 really enjoyed it, the track size and speed is the big difference.
I think we (Aus) can put on just as good a show.
The guy I’m going with has been before and said the speed at Knoxville is insane. He loves Eldora because of its banked layout. I’m looking forward to the seeing the sprint car museum, going to the Dingus Bar and seeing sprint cars being paraded (and supposedly driven) down the Main Street in Knoxville.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
The guy I’m going with has been before and said the speed at Knoxville is insane. He loves Eldora because of its banked layout. I’m looking forward to the seeing the sprint car museum, going to the Dingus Bar and seeing sprint cars being paraded (and supposedly driven) down the Main Street in Knoxville.
Are you going for the nationals or is it just a regular outlaws meet?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I'm ambivalent towards it, but it's always sad when a once proud sport suffers.

Theres a distinct lack of personality in the Nascar paddock these days.

newblueo

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2014
echuca
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm a tad lost. Fox have the rights but ain't showing any races ? Lol the sport is dieing in the USA but show a few races yeh.

And I see v8s licence is up at the end of 2020.talks would be under way. If they lost v8s I'd look at canceling foxtel .

Afl is kidding if they think fox and other companies can keep upping the TV rights every 5 years imo afl might of peaked money wise

newblueo

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2014
echuca
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm not sure the use of the word "dying" is accurate. The nascar "idustryr" may not have as much money in it as before, but it's not going to die!

Supercars have overpriced themselves for a long time, and it's now starting to wilt.

TV ratings are lower then ever since 2012 almost down 25 per cent in the USA market. And was hinted at after the 2021 contacts are up nascar will drop a stack of tracks (two road courses) for a smaller calendar. This has to hit home for v8s imo with such a small pool for $$$.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Nascar is hard to work out because the changes it could or should make would diminish the legacy of the series form the past. So it can't really go wild in changes. For how "big" it was, it may face to face a reality of going back to being a niche class on the side. But it the organisation wants to be the top dog of American motorsport.

Australian motorsport is can be in an easier situation, but has to face the elephant in the room. Supercars has been outdated for about 20 years. It's a class that lives it's own life, but is meshed with the Australian Touring Car Championship title (Effectively, the Australian Motor racing championship).

The ATCC can be easily fixed by giving TCR that title, and have touring cars starting again and rejuvenate. But if you do that, what do you do with this lump of supercars series, with the bigger names, bigger teams with all the jobs it's generated, and wider mainstream presence? Who in Aus motorsport wants to pull the trigger and kill off supercars?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Nascar is hard to work out because the changes it could or should make would diminish the legacy of the series form the past. So it can't really go wild in changes. For how "big" it was, it may face to face a reality of going back to being a niche class on the side. But it the organisation wants to be the top dog of American motorsport.

Australian motorsport is can be in an easier situation, but has to face the elephant in the room. Supercars has been outdated for about 20 years. It's a class that lives it's own life, but is meshed with the Australian Touring Car Championship title (Effectively, the Australian Motor racing championship).

The ATCC can be easily fixed by giving TCR that title, and have touring cars starting again and rejuvenate. But if you do that, what do you do with this lump of supercars series, with the bigger names, bigger teams with all the jobs it's generated, and wider mainstream presence? Who in Aus motorsport wants to pull the trigger and kill off supercars?

If you look at what gone before us in tin tops (the ATCC), the rules have changed every 10 years or so, the difference with V8s is the private ownership of the class, & as it stands the current owners paid $heaps for control & will be acting in their best interests.
I remember the tussle between the V8s & the (Euro) 2 litre class, & its not something I'd like to see repeated.
TCR will be welcomed by the enthusiast but how it fits into the Aus motor racing landscape is the question for me.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
If you look at what gone before us in tin tops (the ATCC), the rules have changed every 10 years or so,
The rules change, but typically there's a purpose to the changes. The purpose of supercars rules seems to be to maintain the status quo of the Group 3A cars that started in 1993. This is not a good "policy" for the wider Australian motorsport.

the difference with V8s is the private ownership of the class, & as it stands the current owners paid $heaps for control & will be acting in their best interests.
Yeah. But is Archer and the supercars industry interests in the best interests of Aus motorsport as a whole? The answer is No.

I remember the tussle between the V8s & the (Euro) 2 litre class, & its not something I'd like to see repeated.
I rememeber that as well. But it's a far different situation and scene in Australia now. There are a lot more variables involved and the 5ltr cars are more vulnerable to being finished off.

TCR will be welcomed by the enthusiast but how it fits into the Aus motor racing landscape is the question for me.
Do you mean how it fits amongst the wider, mainstream public?

Smaller cars are more likely to garner wider mainstream attention without the big names more than a new big car class would. The disadvantage I can see that it's got is that the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla are not eligible atm, and they're two of the biggest sellers in Australia. If those models in particular were eligible now, I'd have no doubt they'd create wider interest in domestic motorsport in this country.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The rules change, but typically there's a purpose to the changes. The purpose of supercars rules seems to be to maintain the status quo of the Group 3A cars that started in 1993. This is not a good "policy" for the wider Australian motorsport.

Yeah. But is Archer and the supercars industry interests in the best interests of Aus motorsport as a whole? The answer is No.

I rememeber that as well. But it's a far different situation and scene in Australia now. There are a lot more viable involved and the 5ltr cars are more vulnerable to being finished off.

Do you mean how it fits amongst the wider, mainstream public?

Smaller cars are more likely to garner wider mainstream attention without the big names more than a new big car class would. The disadvantage I can see that it's got is that the Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla are not eligible atm, and they're two of the biggest sellers in Australia. If those models in particular were eligible now, I'd have no doubt they'd create wider interest in domestic motorsport in this country.

Dont think we disagree on much, & the way ahead for Supercars is problematic, where to though