Status
Not open for further replies.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I worked with a bloke for years who would routinely spell my name incorrectly (using a different variant) in emails. I'm quite certain he was doing it deliberately to undermine my influence. He only seemed to do it when replying all on a chain that had many recipients. Managed to get it right outside of that.

Poor stupid fool didn't realise that the only person he was undermining was himself.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
On the traffic light thing, I'm probably the opposite, if I'm out on an early morning run and crossing an intersection on a main road, if there's a poor schmo stuck at the red light on their quiet side street of the intersection, I'll give the button a push, so they (I assume) get a green slightly quicker.

Or if it's a left lane coming up to an intersection where you can go straight or turn left, I'll try to get into the middle lane if it's going to be a red light/green arrow, I'm going straight and the car behind me is indicating.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I worked with a bloke for years who would routinely spell my name incorrectly (using a different variant) in emails. I'm quite certain he was doing it deliberately to undermine my influence. He only seemed to do it when replying all on a chain that had many recipients. Managed to get it right outside of that.

Poor stupid fool didn't realise that the only person he was undermining was himself.
Cool Story Barry

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
On the traffic light thing, I'm probably the opposite, if I'm out on an early morning run and crossing an intersection on a main road, if there's a poor schmo stuck at the red light on their quiet side street of the intersection, I'll give the button a push, so they (I assume) get a green slightly quicker.

Or if it's a left lane coming up to an intersection where you can go straight or turn left, I'll try to get into the middle lane if it's going to be a red light/green arrow, I'm going straight and the car behind me is indicating.

I have a traffic light near home that takes 5 minutes to go green to walk. So if you press it, cars end up passing and it's free to walk after sometimes only a minute. So I refuse to touch it...because it also triggers the middle of the road light on the other side (they are separate lights, stupidly), and that wait is another 5 mins.

So if you follow the rules, it takes 10 mins to cross a road that should take 15 seconds.

I am constantly 15 seconds late/behind someone who just passed the road and end up just walking over whenever. Ridiculous setup.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I have a traffic light near home that takes 5 minutes to go green to walk. So if you press it, cars end up passing and it's free to walk after sometimes only a minute. So I refuse to touch it...because it also triggers the middle of the road light on the other side (they are separate lights, stupidly), and that wait is another 5 mins.

So if you follow the rules, it takes 10 mins to cross a road that should take 15 seconds.

I am constantly 15 seconds late/behind someone who just passed the road and end up just walking over whenever. Ridiculous setup.

The green man is basically just a guide for me, unless it's a particularly complex sequence that I'm not familar with. If it's 6am on the walk to my local train station, I have a red man and there isn't a car in sight, I'm crossing, rather than stuffing up the sequence.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The green man is basically just a guide for me, unless it's a particularly complex sequence that I'm not familar with. If it's 6am on the walk to my local train station, I have a red man and there isn't a car in sight, I'm crossing, rather than stuffing up the sequence.
Defo. People who touch it, cross and then run into the distance whilst you pass and cop abuse from punters stopped need to die

I don't know anyone my age or younger who does this- but I get the newspaper delivered and I read it at breakfast time almost every morning :)
Not even for the news because let's face it - most of the stuff in the The West is tripe. For the routine.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I don't know anyone my age or younger who does this- but I get the newspaper delivered and I read it at breakfast time almost every morning :)
Not even for the news because let's face it - most of the stuff in the The West is tripe. For the routine.
thats just wrong

I cancelled the Age when I was in Melbourne because it destroyed my lavender hedge

Do miss the convenience of the physical paper it performs great weed suppression as a thick mulch

Last edited:

I used to do this until it became too expensive. Sometimes get a magazine subscription tho to Marie Claire.

Re. My newspaper situatuon at work a guy in my office usually gets one so i get to read his. Still annoying there are no papers delivered at work. Will never, ever payfor online access stuff that s**t.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn

This. There's a 5-ways setup near home that if you cross with the lights takes 3 full sets to get over 'legally' - each set takes a good 2-3 minutes. The roads to cross are all only one or two lanes, and the walk signal is only tripped if you press the button - otherwise every step of the set has something going through at least one of the three.

I will cross with the lights, without pressing the button - the first road is a slip lane, so only one lane of traffic to avoid. the second crossing is stationary (red light) for three of the five steps, and cars turning into that street must cross the dual lane main road so I can easily cross whilst they are waiting for a gap. The third is another slip lane. There's really no requirement for anyone with even a hint of awareness to use the lights.

Yet all day, every day (even on a Sunday with little/no traffic) people push the button, wait for 4 of the 5 roads to stop and then cross. More often than not, they continue around the next crossing after the red man, and sometimes in front of moving traffic that now has green lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back