Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Thought we could start a thought provoking thread on all the boys up and coming from WA who have a decent chance of being drafted. I think we need to start with the 2019 cohort.
Luke Jackson
Deven Robertson
Jeremy Sharp
Trent Rivers
Mitch Georgiades
Rhai Arn Cox
Elijah Taylor
Jack Buller

Feel free to discuss away anything you hear - school footy starting soon, growth spurts etc!
I do know this -Luke Jackson looking very much like the AFL player since quitting basketball. His draft order must be rising rapidly!

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thought we could start a thought provoking thread on all the boys up and coming from WA who have a decent chance of being drafted. I think we need to start with the 2019 cohort.
Luke Jackson
Deven Robertson
Jeremy Sharp
Trent Rivers
Mitch Georgiades
Rhai Arn Cox
Elijah Taylor
Jack Buller

Feel free to discuss away anything you hear - school footy starting soon, growth spurts etc!
I do know this -Luke Jackson looking very much like the AFL player since quitting basketball. His draft order must be rising rapidly!
Rucks don't get drafted in the early/middle first round.

Jackson to be drafted earlier needs to develop as a key forward who can ruck. Rucks who can play forward won't go early.

Sharp is a clone of Craig Turley. A top 10 pick for me.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Rucks don't get drafted in the early/middle first round.

Jackson to be drafted earlier needs to develop as a key forward who can ruck. Rucks who can play forward won't go early.

Sharp is a clone of Craig Turley. A top 10 pick for me.
And apparently Sharp has grown recently. Not sure how tall that makes him. He has a brother who made U12 schoolboys but not the 15s last year so not sure how he has progressed.

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
All the WAFL Colts teams had combine testing on Sunday at Aquinas. I'm looking forward to seeing the results when they are released. Some exceptional athletes there.

A few West Perth and Peel boys ran 22.0 and above in the yoyo. Also a number of athletes cracked below 3 seconds in the 20m sprint.

It looked like none of the Athletes in the NAB AFL academy tested though.

WA Footy making changes for the better by the looks of it as all the clubs use to run their own combine sessions.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
All the WAFL Colts teams had combine testing on Sunday at Aquinas. I'm looking forward to seeing the results when they are released. Some exceptional athletes there.

A few West Perth and Peel boys ran 22.0 and above in the yoyo. Also a number of athletes cracked below 3 seconds in the 20m sprint.

WA Footy making changes for the better by the looks of it as all the clubs use to run their own combine sessions.
That’s good to know. Do they release the results? East Freo Colts had a scratchie last night- did anyone catch that?

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Also, where are the 16’s up to? When is the carnival and how soon after do they release the state squad?

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
That’s good to know. Do they release the results? East Freo Colts had a scratchie last night- did anyone catch that?

West Perth had a scratchie against Claremont a week or two ago. Both teams fielded two teams throughout the night. Claremont won the first game and the second was pretty even.

Also, where are the 16’s up to? When is the carnival and how soon after do they release the state squad?

Futures tournament starts on the 16/03. Not sure when squad information is released.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
there were some scratch matches for the U16 over this long weekend. anyone seen any?

Rainsparks

Debutant
Feb 8, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Do they release the results?

Mike Dawson

Debutant
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
C
Carnival is school holidays. State prelim squad will take part in an invitational scratch match (usually last Friday of the holiday break) and final squad selected from that match. Usually named within a week after the scratch match.

Mike Dawson

Debutant
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My son played with Jack Allen at Guildford last year. He made state u16s and by all accounts was unlucky to not make AA u16. Will play Colts this year. He's developing quick after coming to footy late.
Did a sub 3 sec 20m Sprint (he's about 193/194cm and almost 90kg) and his verticals we're some of the best, if not the best. My understanding is that they don't release the test results to the public only to the respective clubs (I only know these via my son).
Definitely one to watch.

609980.jpg
609984.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
More general question about the changes to the Colts comp 2018 with additional AFL funding - any of you guys got any comments ( I live in Melbourne so I'm well removed).

I'm not 100% on what changes were made but from what I understand, these are some of the changes:

Colts management across all clubs is centralized which means the WAFC has greater control over all the colts and what they do.
All the teams train at least 3 times a week.
Bigger emphasis on S&C and athletic testing.
The head coach is now a paid position.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I'm not 100% on what changes were made but from what I understand, these are some of the changes:

Colts management across all clubs is centralized which means the WAFC has greater control over all the colts and what they do.
All the teams train at least 3 times a week.
Bigger emphasis on S&C and athletic testing.
The head coach is now a paid position.

:thumbsu: thanks.
My understanding from media reports was that the individual WAFL clubs direction was reduced & replaced by a whole of WA footy emphasis. Paid positions courtesy of the WAFC/AFL.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/1m...ion-edge-over-victorias-tac-cup-ng-b88642818z

As a life long Subi follower I used follow the development from the 3rds & saw some real talent for the first time at the lower level.

Based on the comments in this thread, all is good :thumbsu:

Rainsparks

Debutant
Feb 8, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
C

Carnival is school holidays. State prelim squad will take part in an invitational scratch match (usually last Friday of the holiday break) and final squad selected from that match. Usually named within a week after the scratch match.

Attachments

• 2019 Fixture.pdf
    297.5 KB · Views: 241

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
is it true that the Futures (which are replacing the old U16 carnival) includes 16 and 17 year olds? Is it about half and half? Its a fairly decent fixture isn't it? as in it is quite extended.

Mike Dawson

Debutant
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
is it true that the Futures (which are replacing the old U16 carnival) includes 16 and 17 year olds? Is it about half and half? Its a fairly decent fixture isn't it? as in it is quite extended.
They were always allowed 2 overagers e.g. 2 17 year olds

Watchfromadistance

Senior List
May 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I watched him kick 5.1 in a Swannies scratchie today. Outplayed everyone they put on him.
Really rate this kid, Jack Allen, is he still growing, thickening up?
Surprised he isnt in the academy. He should be ahead of a few others on work ethic alone. I reckon he will be a lock for the 18s squad after the adelaide camp.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mike Dawson

Debutant
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Really rate this kid, Jack Allen, is he still growing, thickening up?
Surprised he isnt in the academy. He should be ahead of a few others on work ethic alone. I reckon he will be a lock for the 18s squad after the adelaide camp.

Looked solid yesterday. Denver was on him (academy kid) and I watched Jack stop-and-prop. Denver lined him up but bounced off Jack who stood his ground and delivered.
My son tells me Jack's in the gym every other day and running most mornings (my son and Jack go to Guildford together).
He just gets better everytime I watch him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back