Rumour Idiot on social media having a go at Ed Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like this one’s a little grey. ‘Monkey see monkey do’ could be a poorly thought out reference to the AFL blatantly copying the NBA with the dress code instruction to players.
But the fact he deleted his account suggests some guilt.

Just to clarify the situation...

D0FEi0WVsAALMqc.jpg

Not condoning the actions at all, and not saying that this is an excuse but if I'm not mistaken the person who said it supposedly has down syndrome.

Social media is a toxic cesspool. It must be a slow news week if this is a story. Don't like social media - log off. Not rocket science.

Social media is a toxic cesspool. It must be a slow news week if this is a story. Don't like social media - log off. Not rocket science.

So Eddie needs to leave social media because there’s racist *s out there. Great solution

"Monkey Business", "Monkeying around", "Monkey's uncle", "More fun than a barrel of Monkey's", "Cheeky Monkey", "To make a Monkey out of someone" and finally "Monkey see, monkey do which refers to copying someone’s actions without putting much thought into it? That's seven "Monkey" idoms used in the English language until now that is....Nome of these expressions can be used ever again in 2019! What's next - No re runs of the Monkees on TV?

"Monkey Business", "Monkeying around", "Monkey's uncle", "More fun than a barrel of Monkey's", "Cheeky Monkey", "To make a Monkey out of someone" and finally "Monkey see, monkey do which refers to copying someone’s actions without putting much thought into it? That's seven "Monkey" idoms used in the English language until now that is....Nome of these expressions can be used ever again in 2019! What's next - No re runs of the Monkees on TV?
This type of post just makes the poster look like a fool.

This type of post just makes the poster look like a fool.

Why is that? All of those idioms are used every day by thousnads of people in each city of Australia? I'm only relaying the message of monkey idoms that can be found on the ABC Education site: Learn English: 7 monkey idioms used in English.

Why is that? All of those idioms are used every day by thousnads of people in each city of Australia? I'm only relaying the message of monkey idoms that can be found on the ABC Education site: Learn English: 7 monkey idioms used in English.

It is all about context my dear chap, no matter how bold and how large the text you use. In this context, using a phrase like this it is absolutely abhorrent. Even if the phrase was acceptable considering the situation (e.g. another player wearing the same get up), you still wouldn't use it with the person involved.

It is all about context my dear chap, no matter how bold and how large the text you use. In this context, using a phrase like this it is absolutely abhorrent. Even if the phrase was acceptable considering the situation (e.g. another player wearing the same get up), you still wouldn't use it with the person involved.
I'm not condoning the use of it at all, the person has not thought about their actions clearly enough before posting, particulary since it was Eddie Betts in the pic, but the reaction to it has been hysterical. The phrase is being taught on an ABC education site my dear chap! I can't find any racial meaning to the saying at all anywhere. It means people imitate what they see other people doing. It was even used in the 1890's America as a shoe advertisement! Context is correct, but i could list a whole stack of phrases used in everyday language that have dubious origins! Perhaps all social media sites should be shut down?

Channel 7 are describing it as a horrific racial slur but let's be honest, it is a pretty tame comment.

I'm not endorsing it in any way but the media sure love blowing things out of proportion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a bullshit post.

Anyone with half a brain knows that none of these comments can be directed at an Aboriginal, for very good reason, not that they can’t be used at all.

That’s the truth of it all.

The most alarming part for me is the influx of mouthbreathers when this sort of thing happens who condone the comments or pipe up some half-witted “but when are they going to have a white Anglo round!!1”.

Read some of the posts above and then the comments on the AFL footy show page regarding Eddie.

294DE9EF-3912-4531-8B14-0E4132350D79.jpeg

I'm not condoning the use of it at all, the person has not thought about their actions clearly enough before posting, particulary since it was Eddie Betts in the pic, but the reaction to it has been hysterical. The phrase is being taught on an ABC education site my dear chap! I can't find any racial meaning to the saying at all anywhere. It means people imitate what they see other people doing. It was even used in the 1890's America as a shoe advertisement! Context is correct, but i could list a whole stack of phrases used in everyday language that have dubious origins! Perhaps all social media sites should be shut down?
Context is key? No s**t.

Damn straight context is key, you don’t call a black person a monkey, you don’t imply they are one and you don’t relate them to acting like one.

Monkey see monkey do.

Is our society really that precious now? ffs when I heard the outrage and meltdowns about the comment I was expecting something a lot worse than that, well, actually i was expecting some sort of horrible and disgusting racial slur.

At worse it was a clumsy comment, but for all the moral police to be so faux outraged by this, get a grip

It’s always a “clumsy comment”
It’s always “taken out of context”
It’s always an “over reaction”
It’s always “stop being precious”

It’s always a “clumsy comment”
It’s always “taken out of context”
It’s always an “over reaction”
It’s always “stop being precious”

It's always the moral police trying to prove how self righteous they are

The phrase 'Monkey see monkey do' has been around for 100 years. It's meaning has nothing to do with race, it's about learning something without understand the meaning or mimicking. For someone to try and twist that around into a horrible and disgusting racial slur is pathetic. Too many chest beaters in our society now. This problem with this crap is when real racism occurs the nuffies are too busy beating their chests with pathetic crap like this

What a storm in a tea cup

Context is key? No s**t.

Damn straight context is key, you don’t call a black person a monkey, you don’t imply they are one and you don’t relate them to acting like one.

Referring to someone as 'black' is actually incredibly racist.

But “monkey” is a term used to describe black people in a racist manner by racist people. If you do not provide context for a sentence and say “monkey see, monkey do” to an aboriginal or black person, you’ll come across as racist.

On the point you raised, the English language changes and, depending on what happens in society, certain phrases become inappropriate to use towards a certain group of people. In AFL, there are indigenous people who were called monkeys as a racial slur. So it is a stupid move to go and say “monkey see, monkey do” to an indigenous player without context.

Yes the word has a non-racist meaning, but just because it has that meaning does not mean that you use it in every context. Bitch has a non-offensive meaning too. It’s a female dog. Doesn’t mean someone can go and call a girl a bitch without it being offensive just because it’s a word used for female dog. Context matters.

You probably should apply that context when using the term black person which has also been considered historically offensive.
I had an Aboriginal partner for over 9 years, so I know what is and isn’t offensive to a black person.

No it isn’t. It’s the name of a race. A black person is called “black “ even if they are lighter-skinned than a South Asian person, who would be called “brown”.

Actually it is, just like calling someone from South East Asia yellow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back