Granny Val

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2013
Wheatbelt/Rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Scorchers
I was going to step in and defend her, but then she just ran under the ball for no reason whatsoever allowing her opponent to run onto it. That piece of play was ******* atrocious, it looked like she'd given up.

This last quarter is season breaking stuff. A loss wouldn't be that bad, but a huge loss is a disaster. We need to smash the Bulldogs next week to make up for it.
Gooch has been consistently one of our best, so please leave her alone.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
I’ve no doubt she tries but she shouldn’t be in defence besides kicking the ball in after a behind she’s a liability, way to slow and I reckon five of Adelaide’s goals were through her mistakes or letting her apponent lead her to the ball.

Just to reiterate, she’s probably been our best defender before that game. She copped a huge hit last week which looked like it would have left a massive bruise. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was playing under duress.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Playing only one undersized ruck finally caught up with us. Hit out and clearance numbers told the story. No supply for our forwards.

Hitouts 5-29
Clearances 9-28
Inside 50s 22-43

In a nutshell, it was this. Their ruck delivered the ball to their advantange and to counter it, our mids had to be superior (against a quality team) - or to conjure up some scoreboard pressure somehow when the ball was only getting to i50 five times per quarter.

We actually weathered that game well for three quarters given that their forwards had supply and ours were starved.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Playing only one undersized ruck finally caught up with us. Hit out and clearance numbers told the story. No supply for our forwards.

Hitouts 5-29
Clearances 9-28
Inside 50s 22-43

1/4 of the blame on the ruck. Heaps of teams concede the ruck and don’t get obliterated at ground level. The midfield wasn’t great. I actually thought they should of abandoned some of our midfielders and put Ebony Antonio and Gemma Houghton in their to give us some size. Erin Phillips could literally walk through Donnellan, Hooker and Bowers as she pleased.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Yes me personally but I don't get to chose my clients
Can you get in the ear of the person who does? ;)
Also - on a serious note, did she make a big deal about being a weags supporter, or play it close to her chest like most. I guess what I’m getting at - did you get the feeling Freo are just a stopover to the weags as her intended destination?

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
1/4 of the blame on the ruck. Heaps of teams concede the ruck and don’t get obliterated at ground level. The midfield wasn’t great. I actually thought they should of abandoned some of our midfielders and put Ebony Antonio and Gemma Houghton in their to give us some size. Erin Phillips could literally walk through Donnellan, Hooker and Bowers as she pleased.
Last week Laurie basically just provided a contest in the ruck, and then was pretty much an extra midfielder at ground level. 16 possessions, 5 clearances and 4 votes in the coaches’ award. This week the rest of the midfield got smashed because she couldn’t go with the Adelaide ruck. But really it was our ‘star’ midfielders, as you say, of Donnellan, Hooker, and to a lesser degree Bowers who got completely towelled up. Missed Miller also.
And like I said before - Phillips is next level good. She’s like the female combo of Fyfe, Danger + Dusty with a bit of Pendles chucked in. She’s a freak. It’s no wonder anyone she plays on gets their backsides handed to them.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Last week Laurie basically just provided a contest in the ruck, and then was pretty much an extra midfielder at ground level. 16 possessions, 5 clearances and 4 votes in the coaches’ award. This week the rest of the midfield got smashed because she couldn’t go with the Adelaide ruck. But really it was our ‘star’ midfielders, as you say, of Donnellan, Hooker, and to a lesser degree Bowers who got completely towelled up. Missed Miller also.
And like I said before - Phillips is next level good. She’s like the female combo of Fyfe, Danger + Dusty with a bit of Pendles chucked in. She’s a freak. It’s no wonder anyone she plays on gets their backsides handed to them.

Did you want North to beat Melbourne for our finals chances?

I agree with you on Erin. But it didn’t seem we had plan 3/4/5. I would of thrown Gemma Houghton or Ebony Antonio as a tag. We looked dangerous whenever we got the ball forward. It’s just we couldn’t get it forward at all in the 2nd half.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Did you want North to beat Melbourne for our finals chances?

I agree with you on Erin. But it didn’t seem we had plan 3/4/5. I would of thrown Gemma Houghton or Ebony Antonio as a tag. We looked dangerous whenever we got the ball forward. It’s just we couldn’t get it forward at all in the 2nd half.
I agree - Houghton on her I think would have made things interesting. Or Cain. But I also find it odd that our three best mids all had such a shocking day at the same time. No one able to shark a tap, or read it off the hand at all.

And I find that a very strange question re finals chances. I want whoever needs to beat whoever for our finals chances - whoever that might be... that would go without saying. 🤔

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can you get in the ear of the person who does? ;)
Also - on a serious note, did she make a big deal about being a weags supporter, or play it close to her chest like most. I guess what I’m getting at - did you get the feeling Freo are just a stopover to the weags as her intended destination?

She said straight away that she's an Eagles supporter but now a Freo player so she'll support Freo. Hard to get a read on it.

My mate thought she was into kickboxing when she sporteda black eye. He's a Kiwi and doesn't care for AFL.

The quoters find the clients. I don't think we have an AFL relocation contract but we've moved Cox to Sydney. Pav to his new place and Jack Hannath back to Vic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
I agree - Houghton on her I think would have made things interesting. Or Cain. But I also find it odd that our three best mids all had such a shocking day at the same time. No one able to shark a tap, or read it off the hand at all.

And I find that a very strange question re finals chances. I want whoever needs to beat whoever for our finals chances - whoever that might be... that would go without saying. 🤔

You’re right on the finals front. The only way we make finals now is to beat North at home in the final round, while also beating WB, Geelong the next 2 weeks. The latter game off a 6 day break. I don’t think 5-2 makes it to be honest.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
You’re right on the finals front. The only way we make finals now is to beat North at home in the final round, while also beating WB, Geelong the next 2 weeks. The latter game off a 6 day break. I don’t think 5-2 makes it to be honest.
Bloody conferences... 😡

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I can’t see us finishing higher than 3rd. If we win, which we should, and North win which imo is 50/50, then we’d still have to beat north to get back to #2. Even with home ground advantage I think that’s a big ask. I’m seeing a North v Adelaide GF. Copping a shellacking and killing our percentage like that has done nothing to help our chances.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Personally I think Adelaide beat North, the only game they lost was a game they were incredibly inaccurate and should have won. I think they are the best team. They’ll prove it this week by beating North. If we can beat Bulldogs and Geelong, we’ll set up an amazing last round decider for the 2nd spot in the finals.

Adelaide have North, Giants and Melbourne.

Giants pushed Brisbane... Melbourne maaaybe.

Oh well :(

If we can beat Adelaide in Melbourne next then I think it will be a pretty close 3 way competition for the second spot between Crows. I think if will be harder for team outside the top 2 atm if we allow the Crows to get to 16 points by round 5 and both to have a pretty high percentage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back