Rumour Idiot on social media having a go at Ed Betts

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not condoning the actions at all, and not saying that this is an excuse but if I'm not mistaken the person who said it supposedly has down syndrome.
That also isn't correct. A few internet savvy people did some digging in who the moron was. They weren't down syndrome at all, just used a picture of someone who was down syndrome as their Facebook profile picture.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I had an Aboriginal partner for over 9 years, so I know what is and isn’t offensive to a black person.

I know many Aboriginals who find it highly offensive, it's called casual racism mate and you're living the dream

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sounds awfully like I can't be racist because I have a black friend.

Try one of these excuses that our good ol' mate off the couch suggested

It’s always a “clumsy comment”
It’s always “taken out of context”
It’s always an “over reaction”
It’s always “stop being precious”

I wonder which one he'll go for, my guess is that it 'taken out of context', you are all 'over reacting', it was just a 'clumsy comment' so stop being 'so precious'

Sounds awfully like I can't be racist because I have a black friend.
It means I’ve seen racism. I’ve lived through it.

I’ve picked up the pieces of a night ruined by racism.

I’ve had shop owners look at me and my partner differently when they asked us directly what we were “looking for in particular” because of racism.

I’ve been stopped and questioned by police as to why we are walking down the street at night because of racism.

So please don’t try to pick me up on writing “black person” as some sort of tip about what is considered offensive.

madrigal

All Australian
May 24, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
It means I’ve seen racism. I’ve lived through it.

I’ve picked up the pieces of a night ruined by racism.

I’ve had shop owners look at me and my partner differently when they asked us directly what we were “looking for in particular” because of racism.

I’ve been stopped and questioned by police as to why we are walking down the street at night because of racism.

So please don’t try to pick me up on writing “black person” as some sort of tip about what is considered offensive.
Sorry you had to endure that. I hope one day you can rise above it and not let the pain taint your perspective to such a degree that you think you speak for all black people, or even that black people is a unified category that share a single viewpoint, despite being so culturally, historically and geographically diverse.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Actually it is, just like calling someone from South East Asia yellow.
Well, I am black and I have never taken exception to someone calling me black. It’s the name my race is known by and I am totally fine with that.

Why should there be a problem with being called black and no problem with being called white if you’re Caucasian? I have never heard anyone ever say it's racist to call a Caucasian "white". We all know Caucasians are not actually the colour white, but they are considered "white" because they are the palest of the races. Africans are considered "black" because they are the darkest of the races even though most Africans are a brown shade. It's a description used to discern the races and I don't see the issue with it.

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well, I am black and I have never taken exception to someone calling me black. It’s the name my race is known by and I am totally fine with that.

Why should there be a problem with being called black and no problem with being called white if you’re Caucasian? I have never heard anyone ever say it's racist to call a Caucasian "white". We all know Caucasians are not actually the colour white, but they are considered "white" because they are the palest of the races. Africans are considered "black" because they are the darkest of the races even though most Africans are a brown shade. It's a description used to discern the races and I don't see the issue with it.

Yet some people find if offensive and racist, therefore it is racist. You also ignored by point about calling someone from South East Asia yellow, which is incredibly racist.

The fact is that many people believe being called black is racist, it's not up to you or I to decide these things.

Sorry you had to endure that. I hope one day you can rise above it and not let the pain taint your perspective to such a degree that you think you speak for all black people, or even that black people is a unified category that share a single viewpoint, despite being so culturally, historically and geographically diverse.
:rolleyes:
I never once said I speak for all Black people, nor did I claim it to be a unified category, or that they share a single viewpoint.

Quite clearly my thoughts are related to my life with a Koori partner, and all the s**t that she and I had to endure over that time in a small country town because of the color of her skin.

Are you trolling or just an ignorant tosser?
Ohh, now I see....your post made no sense.

Ignore button is your friend.

madrigal

All Australian
May 24, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
:rolleyes:
I never once said I speak for all Black people, nor did I claim it to be a unified category, or that they share a single viewpoint.

Quite clearly my thoughts are related to my life with a Koori partner, and all the s**t that she and I had to endure over that time in a small country town because of the color of her skin.
Do you agree with Betts and his utopian vision for discourse on social media?

Do you agree with Betts and his utopian vision for discourse on social media?
“Don’t call me a Monkey” is a utopian vision?

It's always the moral police trying to prove how self righteous they are

The phrase 'Monkey see monkey do' has been around for 100 years. It's meaning has nothing to do with race, it's about learning something without understand the meaning or mimicking. For someone to try and twist that around into a horrible and disgusting racial slur is pathetic. Too many chest beaters in our society now. This problem with this crap is when real racism occurs the nuffies are too busy beating their chests with pathetic crap like this

What a storm in a tea cup

By someone you mean Eddie. The same bloke who had a banana thrown at him onfield. Monkey say monkey do would of fit with Alex Rance, it’s not a fit for Eddie Betts but it’s no surprise that people can’t see that.

madrigal

All Australian
May 24, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I would say it is ridiculously naive, to expect zero idiots in the world and in an attention economy to not expect comments guaranteed to get attention. We have all understood since the dawn of the Internet that trolls do so for attention, yet they are continually rewarded with attention.

Imagine if after a murder someone tweeted 'can't we all just get along'.

Yet some people find if offensive and racist, therefore it is racist. You also ignored by point about calling someone from South East Asia yellow, which is incredibly racist.

The fact is that many people believe being called black is racist, it's not up to you or I to decide these things.

And yet you decided that Eddie and his supporters had blown this comment out of proportion

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United

Hmmm, to me it depends on the context someone uses it in. It is not wrong to physically be a dark shade like black and be known by that, so if someone uses it as an inoffensive adjective or label for which race I belong to, it’s fine. Things like “black”, “dark-skinned” etc. The context Abasi used it in is not what I would consider as racist.

If it is used in a nickname, then I personally wouldn’t like it even if they didn’t mean it offensively because it is too much like the n-word for me. I don’t know, that’s just my 2 cents on it. I just wouldn’t blanket the entire word as racist in reference to darker-skinned people because I don’t think that’s entirely true.

I ignored the "yellow" term because I can't speak for someone who is South East Asian since I am not from there.

madrigal

All Australian
May 24, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
How is this even a discussion?

At best it was a really poor choice of words given he was talking about an Aboriginal

If it wasn't that, then it was a s**t comment
To point out nasty words or agree that they are nasty is trivial, unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I was going to make a post pretending to be one of those people who acts like they never knew that calling black people monkey was ******* stupid but I got beaten to it.

I also see we've been visited by the "People who condemn that are the REAL racists" type.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
What a bullshit post.

Anyone with half a brain knows that none of these comments can be directed at an Aboriginal, for very good reason, not that they can’t be used at all.

That’s the truth of it all.
Does it annoy you that all of those idioms can be found on the ABC education site ? That people use them every day and have done so for a hundred years? You can even learn them. Of course they shouldn't be directed at an aboriginal person, that was the mistake the bloke made in the first place. Context is everything, but perhaps that person should be quizzed as to his motives behind his comment. He obviously wasn't thinking of anything other than "imitation"? I don't know what other motive he might've had? I'm just making note of phrases that are used every single day throughout the country and i would bet at least one of those phrases has been used by every single Big Footy poster in the past week...without realizing it. As it turns out, we've all been unconsciously using racial slurs our entire life! I hope you never use the terms "long time no see" or "no can do" to a person of Asian origin? Both terms originated in the 19th century at a time when Westerners widely held a racist attitude toward the East—as a way to mock simplified Chinese Pidgin English. My Asian partner Yuqi just nodded in agreement. The English language is constantly evolving, with new words and phrases spreading among us like an infection - we hear things, then we say those things. The problem is that we don't always bother to wonder if we should. This chap hasn't looked at the pic closely enough and made a huge blunder.

Back