News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Don't really see how it helps the weaker clubs either, every team has access to it.
For mine - i'd rather see them say bottom 4 teams can pick a player regardless and everyone else needs long term injuries. Retiring/starting with less players just defeats the purpose of the draft as it starts to favor the top clubs who can throw someone out the door.
It is reverse ladder order, and there will only be 2-3 players worth picking up a year.

If Gold Coast got Kelly, and then trade him to the Eagles for pick 22 and 23 then they win.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I imagine quite a bit of paranoia has set in. After the last few years he probably has about as much confidence in his calf as we do. I'm sure he is fully aware of the position he is in this season. Every little tweak, cramp, itch he gets in his calf would put him on edge.

It's great news anyway.

The only thing that is going to help him mentally overcome this is gametime. All the training in the world won't help. Back him off at training and give him gametime during both JLT games and see how he goes.

Got my fingers crossed for him.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Peter Bell said he never had a scan. He loves the word “awareness”. Which is how he described Harley’s calf, and the medico’s said it didn’t need to be scanned??

Hamling pulled out of AFLX due to “awareness” and big Darcy now has “hamstring awareness”.

I’m starting to think Harley has no “awareness” of his calf and any tightness becomes a big issue.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I got bitten by an ant on my calf today. It felt like a burning sensation. My calf awareness spiked at this point. Ergo, Harley was probably bitten by an ant and is actually ok. Harley 4 B22 4eva

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Peter Bell said he never had a scan. He loves the word “awareness”. Which is how he described Harley’s calf, and the medico’s said it didn’t need to be scanned??

Hamling pulled out of AFLX due to “awareness” and big Darcy now has “hamstring awareness”.

I’m starting to think Harley has no “awareness” of his calf and any tightness becomes a big issue.
Sounds like you're developing a case of awareness awareness.

Hammersoup12

Senior List
Sep 15, 2014
Hyper vigilant players and medical staff is normal these days. Plenty of reasons why and Harley’s head may be cooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bell said small strain. It was Darcy he said awareness
Fair enough

Awareness schmareness... I like Peter Bell and all the feathers in his cap but he can ditch the use of the word awareness. The ant bite is a good use for the term. Just call it a slight strain or tightness.

Colin Young calls it a “2-weeker” each time Harley experiences tightness/strain.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fair enough

Awareness schmareness... I like Peter Bell and all the feathers in his cap but he can ditch the use of the word awareness. The ant bite is a good use for the term. Just call it a slight strain or tightness.

Colin Young calls it a “2-weeker” each time Harley experiences tightness/strain.
Bennells injury list
Week 1;
Awareness 0-4 weeks

Week 2;
Awareness 0-4 weeks

Week 3;
Awareness 0-6 weeks

Etc etc etc

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Thought it was a two week injury and Harley was out on the track after a week.

They could have just asked him to go for a run after a week to see how it feels and it wasn't OK, and its been reported as a new injury.

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
So basically everyone is jumping at shadows, except if they did so they might injure their calf

DMan 11

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Make of this what you will but I’ve heard via an associate that Harley himself is confident this latest issue is not that bad.
Also told that every time he feels ‘something’ in his calf he’s pulled off the track and sent for scans.

Not saying this one is just precautionary- can can confirm Harley is pretty upbeat and not in a doomsday frame of mind.

Was good to get this insight, hopefully the scans support his intuition

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
well unfortunately the reality is whether he's just "feeling it", "tweaking it" or tearing it, if it always gets to the point where he has to stop training and lay off it for a few weeks, or whatever the case may be, then he'll never get to the point of playing AFL. 4-5 years is a pretty good sample size to say his calf just cant cope with the demands of AFL.

Back