Toast Welcome to the SUNS - Ben King

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's a continual source of bemusement to me that Silvagni was named full-back of the Century
Slow , low-skilled whose stock in trade was lying all over his full forward
Would be surprised if he made a draft cut in 2018
He wasn't even the best Carlton full-back of the Century
I reckon sports scribes and pundits need to have a few cold showers and wait 10 years before bestowing those sorts of honours

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
Mathew scarlett was the best fullback for mine.
Everyone apart from Richmond supporters think rance is overrated Jordan degoey carved him up in that prelim when he was playing on him, so did cox come to think of it.

I don't think you can compare pavlich and ben king. The pav is only 191 cm undersized for a key position player so I imagine their slightly different but that smaller size did allow pav to win an all Australian as a midfielder so I kind of liked it. But like pavlich he can play both ends of the ground which is useful pavlich spent 7 of his 18 seasons in either fullback or midfield, crazy that he still managed 700 goals. ben king for me has a higher ceiling than pavlich purely because of his height enormous asset to have.
Another thing is ben king is extremely quick for his size allowing for separation from defender and with those long arms.
As far as comparisons go I think hes more eric hipwood.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Everyone apart from Richmond supporters think rance is overrated Jordan degoey carved him up in that prelim when he was playing on him, so did cox come to think of it.

I don't think you can compare pavlich and ben king. The pav is only 191 cm undersized for a key position player so I imagine their slightly different but that smaller size did allow pav to win an all Australian as a midfielder so I kind of liked it. But like pavlich he can play both ends of the ground which is useful pavlich spent 7 of his 18 seasons in either fullback or midfield, crazy that he still managed 700 goals. ben king for me has a higher ceiling than pavlich purely because of his height enormous asset to have.
Another thing is ben king is extremely quick for his size allowing for separation from defender and with those long arms.
Eric hipwood with less agility but better marking would be a good comparison

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Certainly not long enough when you consider NFL players are getting 4/5 year contracts at 20/21 whereas our children get 2 year contracts at 18
It's hardly worth the bother for struggling interstate Clubs TBH
All we're doing is completing their adolescent Football education while they play footsies under the table with Melbourne based list managers
I hope these new recruits are encouraged to study and take courses that are unique to the Gold Coast. A contract extension tied to a study plan would push the need for longer rookie contracts. We talked about this in a previous discussion - Uncle Tom did not complete a course in 8 years, so he would never have made it to the big time if we had a College system.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Do we know who Ben is living with? The two other top draftees? I'm glad to hear he is happy to be there. This one was always a risk, given he said he wanted to stay in Vic, but seems he is doing okay with being in QLD.
All three with Mark Evans according to Nat Edwards on AFL draft podcast.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Matthew Scarlett wasn't considered for the team of the Century because he hadn't started playing until 2 years after it was named. He was a very good Full-back who pioneered a much more modern style of rebounding defender.
Stephen Silvagni played in an era of legendary Full-forwards - Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett, Carey - and he beat them all, even though he was also beaten by them on occasion. Not the best Full-back ever, but a damn good swingman who kick 10 goals in a game or shut down one of the greats.
But what have we got in Ben King? He's got a couple of inches in height on Fletcher, who was never considered a swingman. He is the same height as Darcy Moore, who is also a swingman, but Moore's dismal 2018 (the Pies lost 6 of 7 games he played, though he replaced De Goey in 4 of the losses) is hardly an indicator. Harris Andrews appears to be the closest contemporary player, yet King's ability appears to have the higher ceiling.

Ben and Max King are two of the tallest non-ruck players in the system. They are already top 3% tallest currently active AFL players, so it begs the question over whether their rucking abilities will be tested at AFL level. Max is a pure Full-Forward, but Ben is going to have opportunities to try out both.

SunsGal

Senior List
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I hope these new recruits are encouraged to study and take courses that are unique to the Gold Coast. A contract extension tied to a study plan would push the need for longer rookie contracts. We talked about this in a previous discussion - Uncle Tom did not complete a course in 8 years, so he would never have made it to the big time if we had a College system.
Uncle Tom was doing a Bachelor of Business at Griffith, as was Jesse Lonergan and Jarryd Lyons. There is definitely no shortage of Griffith students at the Suns - Dave Swallow, Tommy Nic, Sam Day, Peter Wright, Touk Miller, Jack Bowes, Jack Leslie, Henry Schade, Dan Currie ... that's just the ones I know of or can remember (lots of departments!)

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Video on AFL.com.au showing the boys getting around Ben when he told them his ATAR. Good moment good moment for the lad.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There was a comment in a Courier Mail story this morning where a guy named “Darren” claimed that Ben King has told him personally that he’d be in Melbourne in 2 years time.
While I would personally doubt that was true regardless, It's not something to worry about at this stage IMO. Ollie Wines said the exact same thing when he was drafted by Port Adelaide in 2012. 7 years later he's captaining PA and just signed a 5 year extension.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
Mathew pavlich and his family were devastated when he was drafted to freo his mum cried because she felt it was bad for his career,
wonder what pavlich ended up doing.

Mathew pavlich and his family were devastated when he was drafted to freo his mum cried because she felt it was bad for his career,
wonder what pavlich ended up doing.
Yes, ended up being a champion at the club. I imagine your view when you get drafted is completely different a few years down the track. You form relationships, and love where you are. Some stay. Some leave for their own reasons.
I've got a good feeling about these new draftees.

IMG_4371.JPG

Some fox footy promo

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
There was a comment in a Courier Mail story this morning where a guy named “Darren” claimed that Ben King has told him personally that he’d be in Melbourne in 2 years time.

Hey Bods.. any idea if GC have offered an extension to young Ben K?
Heard Ash Brown say today that StKilda are already sniffing around. I certainly hope that means at the very earliest is two years time.
Do you think he will get some game time this year?

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Heard Ash Brown say today that StKilda are already sniffing around. I certainly hope that means at the very earliest is two years time.

Sorry Turbo I pretty much don’t know the answer to any of those questions.
Hopefully one of my colleagues will reply.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I don’t think the club has officially approached king or his manager for an extension as of yet,
Depending on how his form is over JLT and early season NEAFL, I assume he will see some game time this year, although we are pretty well off for KPDs so not sure what his role will be

Back