Traded Braydon Preuss [traded with #62 to Melbourne for Tyson]

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was at the game and Preuss was OK - and he was robbed one mark by an atrocious umpiring decision. But the hype over his game is overplayed.

He's a bit of a lumberer and not yet a great or even good tap ruckman.

He's handy backup for Gawn for me.
He’s nowhere near Gawn as a tap ruckman. He’ll improve. But Gawn is in a league of his own with that. But from what I saw Preuss can have an impact forward. Just not sure how it’ll work when we add Tmac to the mix.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
I would have thought if you have 2 rucks somewhat capable of playing forward then 2 rucks will be more prevalent. Could make a fast break from the centre very dangerous.

True but there's a trend towards smaller quicker forward lines (before rule changes came in)
With McDonald and Wiederman expected to line up there will Preuss be a bit of overkill?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
True but there's a trend towards smaller quicker forward lines (before rule changes came in)
With McDonald and Wiederman expected to line up there will Preuss be a bit of overkill?
Not sure there really was a trend. I'd call it more of a media beat up after the Tigers made it work in 2017, because they had to.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Kennedy/Darling/resting ruck and Walker/Lynch/Jenkins beg to differ.

Certainly not one size fits all but...
West Coast now have no Lycett/quality spare ruck
Lynch plays a long way up the ground and really doesn't play as a genuine tall.

Also one could argue that neither forward line were hugely successful regardless of the Eagles winning the flag.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m not entirely convinced preuss Tmac and Weideman can work every week. Tmac is a workhorse and could play higher up the ground if needed. Weideman can play both high or deep as well. Doesn’t quite have the athleticism of Tmac. Preuss will have to play a deeper forward role. I’ll be interested to see how it goes.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I feel like Darling and Lynch are closer to a Petracca in terms of mobility than a Weideman/McDonald.

McDonald has an excellent tank and can run with the best of them. There's a reason he lined up on the wing numerous times during the year.

Mobility wise he craps on Kennedy/Darling.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Goldstein wont last forever and what happens if he is injured say come finals or for an extended period?

Isnt he an UFA this year?

All of a sudden Norths seem to have a shallow ruck division and are very much dependant on one player.
Goldy has never functioned well with a back up ruck - he rucks 90% of game time so a 2nd ruck is a waste. He has played 133 of the last 139 games and some he missed was when we rested players before finals.

He is very durable and at 30 would still have a lot of footy left. McKay & Xerri are the same height as Goldy and can be used if something does happen. Not the the end of the world. Campbell has also been brought in for back up.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
There are also a lot of teams with little for back up:

Crows - Jacobs - Reilly O'Brien
Bris - Martin - Archie Smith
Blues - Kruzer - Lobbe/Phillips
Pies - Grundy - Cox/Roughead
Ess - TBC - Clarke/Draper
Cats - Stanley - Smith/Fort
Suns - Witts - Nichols
Hawks - McEvoy - Ceglar
Rich - Nankervis - Soldo
Saints - Longer - Pierce
WCE - Nic Nat - Vardy
Dogs - English - Jordan Sweet

We aren't the only team in trouble if we lose out number 1 ruck.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Suns - Witts - Nichols
Hawks - McEvoy - Ceglar
Rich - Nankervis - Soldo
Saints - Longer - Pierce
WCE - Nic Nat - Vardy

Collingwood player Roughead Lynch and Cox last week v Gawn. Gawn made light work of them all. Shows what difference it makes when you have an elite ruck (Grundy) then a huge gap between next best.
Not sure how good Preuss will be if Gawn misses a bunch of games. Better than anyone backup we have had for a while though.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
McDonald has an excellent tank and can run with the best of them. There's a reason he lined up on the wing numerous times during the year.

Mobility wise he craps on Kennedy/Darling.

Not commenting on their respective tanks. Darling and Lynch from what I've seen are more agile and better ground level players than McDonald.

Preuss is also by a fair margin the least mobile of all players listed between Adelaide, Melbourne and West Coast.

I'm not critical of the recruitment of Preuss by Melbourne as he serves as valuable back up and is good enough to play several games with Gawn to manage his workload. I just think come finals time assuming everyone is fit Melbourne will be playing with McDonald and Weideman alongside midsize options in Petracca/Hannen/Vandenberg

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Suns - Witts - Nichols
Hawks - McEvoy - Ceglar
Rich - Nankervis - Soldo
Saints - Longer - Pierce
WCE - Nic Nat - Vardy

I can see your point but you've missed a handful of players.
  • Eagles have Hickey that they just picked up
  • Dogs have Trengove (who is likely to be our number 1 ruck again), plus Boyd when he's back from injury

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Collingwood player Roughead Lynch and Cox last week v Gawn. Gawn made light work of them all. Shows what difference it makes when you have an elite ruck (Grundy) then a huge gap between next best.
Not sure how good Preuss will be if Gawn misses a bunch of games. Better than anyone backup we have had for a while though.

He will be fine - he showed V the Cats game without Goldy he could ruck 80% of game time and dominate a smaller ruck in Stanley.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I can see your point but you've missed a handful of players.
  • Eagles have Hickey that they just picked up
  • Dogs have Trengove (who is likely to be our number 1 ruck again), plus Boyd when he's back from injury

The Dogs are very thin until English is ready to go. Tengove would have to be the smallest ruck in the comp. He gives away 11cm's to Gawn.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Dogs are very thin until English is ready to go. Tengove would have to be the smallest ruck in the comp. He gives away 11cm's to Gawn.
No doubting that, just saying that Trengove is currently our 1st ruck (as that was his position for the last quarter of 2018) and Boyd will eventually return. English looks to be the long term option, just have to wait until JLT to see where's he currently at

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

Suns - Witts - Nichols
Hawks - McEvoy - Ceglar
Rich - Nankervis - Soldo
Saints - Longer - Pierce
WCE - Nic Nat - Vardy

WCE - Nic Nat - Vardy + Hickey(ex Saint #1) + Brooksby (ex Suns / SAFL best ruck in 2018) + tall forwards McInness + O Allen.

So Eagles have 3 legitimate mature rucks and 2 or 3 195-8cm forwards as back up to the backup.

As you would expect when the #1 is in rehab for a knee.

Goldy has been durable and or lucky. HE is an UFA this season. Norths couldn't have foreseen Daw's off season injury and I suppose there is always the mid season draft if they lose a ruck. You don't want to play Brown in the ruck, too good / valuable up forward.

No team would want to lose their #1 ruck and that to ruin a promising season.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
WCE - Nic Nat - Vardy + Hickey(ex Saint #1) + Brooksby (ex Suns / SAFL best ruck in 2018) + tall forwards McInness + O Allen.

So Eagles have 3 legitimate mature rucks and 2 or 3 195-8cm forwards as back up to the backup.

As you would expect when the #1 is in rehab for a knee.

Goldy has been durable and or lucky. HE is an UFA this season. Norths couldn't have foreseen Daw's off season injury and I suppose there is always the mid season draft if they lose a ruck. You don't want to play Brown in the ruck, too good / valuable up forward.

No team would want to lose their #1 ruck and that to ruin a promising season.
Nic Nat is elite, Vardy is solid/good the other 2 are WAFL rucks. Being better than Billy Longer is not something to write home about.

Agree on Brown - hate seeing him go into the ruck.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Richmond
Nankervis
Soldo
Coleman-Jones
Chol

also Have Balta at 195cm but great leap thats also a handy chop out ruckman but still young, Very good chance we will see a bit of him this year in the Grigg type role

Back