Sleep

Remove this Banner Ad

Its my hobby
I can just fall asleep anywhere almost instantly
Me too. Love it. I have two kids now under 4 so they keep me up. Especially the baby who I do most of the settles with. Figure I’ve got 3 more years of this before he is sleeping properly.

Daughter was a shocking sleeper as a baby. Up every 45 minutes for 12 months. Lack of sleep ruined me. Without my sleep I am so grumpy and moody. I am a bad person to be around. I’ll fall asleep anywhere however, anywhere.

Ordinary sleeper in many ways because I work rotating shifts. Can't get a consistent pattern of sleep times and hours from week to week. Training for marathons in many ways also contributes to this given I'll often struggle to get a few hours before having to wake up to train again. That said I'm usually organised enough to get reasonably good hours in bed before having to wake up on race day (if I'm asleep at 10PM for a 3:30 wake up on race morning I'm going well, although I'll generally need a nanny nap mid afternoon post race. That said it is better than what it was when at Uni when I often didn't trust myself to wake up when the alarm went off in order to get to classes on time, hence I often stayed awake or slept through the dead of Sunday Night and woke up reasonably early in the morning.

On my last week of shift work after over two years. Will have less money, for a while, but will feel great leaving the final night. Circadian rhythm obliterated every 2 weeks or less is ******* terrible for you (and 99% of people who say "Oh I can operate fine off 4-6 hours sleep" are utterly full of s**t). It makes the rest of your life difficult too. Despite what the IPA and business lobby claim whenever it's convenient for them ("Let's cut pay and conditions!"), Australia is not a 24/7 society. The dentist or tradie or lawyer isn't seeing you at 10pm. So you wake up at your equivalent of 3am to make it happen or you kick the can down the road until there's an afternoon available. The mundane becomes something you have to plan. Social life obviously goes to s**t too. Will need to be incredibly desperate before I do shift work again.

Anyway the point is shift work will ruin your sleep.

On my last week of shift work after over two years. Will have less money, for a while, but will feel great leaving the final night. Circadian rhythm obliterated every 2 weeks or less is ******* terrible for you (and 99% of people who say "Oh I can operate fine off 4-6 hours sleep" are utterly full of s**t). It makes the rest of your life difficult too. Despite what the IPA and business lobby claim whenever it's convenient for them ("Let's cut pay and conditions!"), Australia is not a 24/7 society. The dentist or tradie or lawyer isn't seeing you at 10pm. So you wake up at your equivalent of 3am to make it happen or you kick the can down the road until there's an afternoon available. The mundane becomes something you have to plan. Social life obviously goes to s**t too. Will need to be incredibly desperate before I do shift work again.

I'm sure shiftwork isn't so bad, it just sounds like you're tired and cranky tbh !!

Not in the same ballpark as shift work but my missus works complete opposites from week to week (one week really early starts, one week really late finishes). *s with literally everything.

I did rotating shift for a while years ago
regular day for a week then afternoons, then nights
Afternoon was excellent you could go out after work drink like a fish sleep in and get up for work
The others were s**t the rotation made it worse
I was young so I didnt need sleep

I've been having really vivid dreams and have been waking up 3/4 times a night for the past few months to these. I've never been a heavy sleeper, but at what point is it no longer normal and I need some help? I wouldn't say I'm constantly tired but waking up several times during the night can take a toll on me some days.

I've been having really vivid dreams and have been waking up 3/4 times a night for the past few months to these. I've never been a heavy sleeper, but at what point is it no longer normal and I need some help? I wouldn't say I'm constantly tired but waking up several times during the night can take a toll on me some days.

What kind of dreams?

Wouldn’t say nightmares but just really strange dreams. Like I wake up and almost chuckle to myself at how odd and irrelevant some of them are.

I woke up today because in my dream I had a s**t haircut and it annoyed me so much. I don’t think I’ve ever had a dream about this before. I think mine today was funny.

But if you’ll be waking up a few times a night then that has to stop for your own health so you can get a proper night sleep.

*en oath.

When your sleep suffers so does your serotonin.

Serotonin - feel good chemical in your brain. That's why you can feel like s**t on a s**t night's sleep etc.

Sleep and good health are the mst valuable things in life imo. One of the posters said a similar thing regarding skin,and that kind of thing.

You might be able to get away with a bad night's sleep or two here n there. After a while it will take it's toll and you'll be a ******* mess.

Many people already know this, as you guys are aware.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't slept properly in three years. Proper PTSD from when dad died. Done therapy, medication, etc, no matter what I see his dead body lying there.
Poor fella. Condolences.

You drink a fair bit of coffee. No good. Cut your intake in half and have a cut off point. Missus stopped having it after 1pm, then 11am. Now sleeps fine.

( she used to keep me up half the night, not just for good reasons )

If you are a crap sleeper and have tried everything try this for a week:
- get up at sunrise and go outside forms 30 min moderate workout
- no caffeine after 12pm
- light 20 min yoga/ stretch in the evening
- no screens after 7pm
- read a book in bed

I am a fantastic sleeper... The missus hates it, i can go to bed and be asleep within 5 mins

Apparently though I am a bad snorer, and the other half reckons I have sleep apnoea as she thinks i stop breathing in my sleep... Which is less than ideal. I am however tired as by about 8/9 every night from the work/kids/newborn combo and powered by coffee during the day

That said the last 12 months I've lost some weight and started running so have gotten a lot fitter and the snoring and stuff seems to have improved.

I am a fantastic sleeper... The missus hates it, i can go to bed and be asleep within 5 mins

Apparently though I am a bad snorer, and the other half reckons I have sleep apnoea as she thinks i stop breathing in my sleep... Which is less than ideal. I am however tired as by about 8/9 every night from the work/kids/newborn combo and powered by coffee during the day

That said the last 12 months I've lost some weight and started running so have gotten a lot fitter and the snoring and stuff seems to have improved.
Nice. I had a s**t one yesterday. Broken sleep because of work/World Cup final cricket. Yesterday I felt like a wreck, and the day was a waste despite getting a workout in.

Slept about 8.5 hours today and woke up like a champ. Already got a decent workout in, feel fantastic.

Sleep:cool:

You can get a referral to a sleep physiologist.

In many of these cases, the root cause can be Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

Even the weird dreams can result from dips in SpO2 that come with repeated apnea / hypopnia.

The dude above who sleeps within 5mins of going to bed and snores all night? Get a sleep test. You are unlikely NOT to have sleep apnea based on your report.

Treated sleep apnea doesn't impact your health - untreated sleep apnea is terrible for your health.

Blackmore Valerian Forte are a great find if you are a s**t sleeper and/or suffer from mild anxiety like me. I recently got off the anti depressants for mild anxiety as they killed my sex drive and caused me to gain weight. I also stopped drinking wine to help myself sleep. Melatonin never did much for me but these bad boys have killed two birds with the one stone. They're not great at actually making you fall asleep but they calm you down and once you're asleep you're set until morning. Highly recommend. Can pick them up at any chemist. As natural as pills will get too.

You can get a referral to a sleep physiologist.

In many of these cases, the root cause can be Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

Even the weird dreams can result from dips in SpO2 that come with repeated apnea / hypopnia.

The dude above who sleeps within 5mins of going to bed and snores all night? Get a sleep test. You are unlikely NOT to have sleep apnea based on your report.

Treated sleep apnea doesn't impact your health - untreated sleep apnea is terrible for your health.
Stupid question..

So you mean that i AM likely to have it yeah?

based on that description hell yeah.

get a test.

you may need cpap or mrd.... but as your gp for a referral for a sleep test

Remove this Banner Ad

Back