Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Been hugely impressed with Wells in the BBL this season. Knows when to go and when to play it safe and is finding the boundary much easier. Was looking alright in the shield as well. He's definitely no world beater but he's become very handy.

The reverse sweep is a proper cricket shot and old farts need to stop whinging about players using it.

Hmm. Yes and no.
I can accept that some people play it as well as they play perfectly normal shots.

The problem with it is this:
1. Because of the logistics of the shot, you have to premeditate it. No batsman has the time to say ‘oh s**t, the ball is going to pitch here, I know, I’ll reverse sweep it.’ You can do that with other shots because of your set up at the crease.
2. Therefore as a pre-meditated shot, you are automatically opening yourself up to trouble. All the bowler has to do is outthink the batsman and it becomes very dangerous. But unlike other ore-meditated shots, ie a slog, it’s very hard to bail out of a reverse sweep and just block or leave the ball.

It doesn’t matter how good a batsman gets at it, it will always carry at least slightly more risk than traditional shots

But unlike other ore-meditated shots, ie a slog, it’s very hard to bail out of a reverse sweep and just block or leave the ball.

It doesn’t matter how good a batsman gets at it, it will always carry at least slightly more risk than traditional shots

Maybe for mere mortals. But not if you're the legend that is Misbah.

Hmm. Yes and no.
I can accept that some people play it as well as they play perfectly normal shots.

1. Because of the logistics of the shot, you have to premeditate it. No batsman has the time to say ‘oh s**t, the ball is going to pitch here, I know, I’ll reverse sweep it.’ You can do that with other shots because of your set up at the crease.
2. Therefore as a pre-meditated shot, you are automatically opening yourself up to trouble. All the bowler has to do is outthink the batsman and it becomes very dangerous. But unlike other ore-meditated shots, ie a slog, it’s very hard to bail out of a reverse sweep and just block or leave the ball.

Jimmy Adams would disagree. Regularly pulled out the reverse block

Here's the thing that pisses me off about cricket analysis.

By it's very nature, batting in cricket is a risk/reward exercise. The best way not to get out is to take as few risks as possible. The best way to take the fewest risks is to not play any attacking shots. By their nature, attacking shots carry a greater risk of a batsman getting out.

In T20 and ODIs, you have to take more risks than in test cricket, purely because of the format of the game.

I'd be slightly more interested if commentators castigated a player for a 'poor shot selection' after he hits a six. Just because he hit it in the middle doesn't mean it was a good shot selection. If the risk was too great and he shouldn't have played it, point it out.

Yes, I'm annoyed about the analysis after Maxwell got out yesterday. He had been very successful batting the way he did when he got out. He executed badly, but it was not a bad choice of shot. Certainly no different to several he had played earlier.

Another classic example is the legendary 'Damien Martyn against South Africa' in 1994. It was a half-volley outside the off-stump. A test batsman is entitled to hit that. When 10 are needed to win, he should hit it. He hit it poorly - but there was nothing wrong with the choice of shot - just execution.

Hmm. Yes and no.

I see he recently wrote an article on cricinfo about playing the short ball, basically re-iterating for the 1000th time that he always got his head outside of the line and hence he is more adept and courageous than any modern day player

Apparently Chappelli's head movement was up there with Muhammad Ali in his prime.

I see he recently wrote an article on cricinfo about playing the short ball, basically re-iterating for the 1000th time that he always got his head outside of the line and hence he is more adept and courageous than any modern day player

Let's be honest, whatever else you may think of the man, he played first drop in that era of no helmets. Then off the field, he went head-to-head with a sacred cow like Bradman.

I think the guy is allowed a bit of a brag about the size of his nads!

By all accounts he was one of the best exponents of the hook and pull the game has seen so I don’t see why he shouldn’t be able to give advice from a position of knowledge

By all accounts he was one of the best exponents of the hook and pull the game has seen so I don’t see why he shouldn’t be able to give advice from a position of knowledge

No doubt. The question is how many times can you give the same advice without sounding senile

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steve Smith and David Warner should not walk straight back into Australia's one day team for the World Cup but they should walk straight back in for the Ashes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back