Citi Bank to end Sponsorship deal at the end of current contract (end of 2019 season)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Haven't seen any mention of this on the board. Can't believe it's been 15 years now

https://www.citi.com/australia/news/2019/210219-Citi-Sponsorship-Update.pdf

Sydney, Australia: Following a strategic review, Citi Australia will move to better align its sport sponsorship assets in Australia with the bank’s global partnerships. As a result, the partnership between Citi and the Sydney Swans will conclude at the end of the current contract, coinciding with the end of the 2019 AFL playing season.

This move follows Citi’s recent announcement to partner with the International Paralympic Committee and support National Paralympic Committees in 18 countries, including Australia, as they prepare for upcoming World and Regional Championships, and the Tokyo Paralympic Games in 2020.

Citi is also the global partner of the Presidents Cup golf tournament, a unique team event showcasing the best international golfers outside Europe who compete for the honour. It will be held at the Royal Melbourne Golf Course in December. One of the key attributes of this tournament is all players who participate do so for charity. To date, more than US$49.1 million has been donated to worthy causes since the tournament began.

Guy Matthews, Citi’s Head of Corporate Affairs for Australia and New Zealand says: “Citi is proud of its 15-year partnership with the Sydney Swans and all we have achieved together. We first partnered with the Swans in 2005 and in the same year Sydney celebrated premiership success. We wish the club well in the future.”

“Aligning our local sponsorships with our global partnerships will enable us to increase our brand awareness in key segments more effectively, and better integrate our local community efforts. “

Always wondered what would be the reason for a company to end a sponsership deal with a high exposure club like ours?

I don't think Citibank to need advertise at all.

They won't even notice. On the other hand I think it actually raises our profile more than it raises theirs.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Always wondered what would be the reason for a company to end a sponsership deal with a high exposure club like ours?

I think a reason would be that they aren't expanding their banking services throughout Australia as much anymore (branches have been closed and can't make deposits at their remaining ones) and thus don't need to promote themselves locally and hence realigning their sponsorship's to more international teams and events which have a tie in both locally and overseas which we can't provide.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Oh, you...

Was a joke

I mean with all the backwards kicking a swans guernsey back sponsorship should be quite sought after :p

Last edited:
Was a joke

I mean with all the backwards kicking a swans guernsey back sponsorship should be quite sort after :p

You manage to be on topic while simultaneously promoting your agenda. How do you do it good sir! :thumbsu:

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
I mean with all the backwards kicking a swans guernsey back sponsorship should be quite sort after :p

*sought after

Sorry, but I just had to point that out...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While not ideal at least it gives the Swans 12 months to find a new major sponsor. Just as long as our guernsey does not say "Trump Hotels" in 2020 I will be happy.
If we had a MAGA jumper, i'd buy one.

Ah so you're one of those people at the footy..
Yes, I AM! I'm loud, I chant, I yell and cheer and sing! I boo umpires and make derisive noises while the opposition are shaping up to kick! And what's more... I AM NOT ASHAMED!

Clappers are the best things EVER!
They so are... they stop my hands from aching after a game from clapping so much!

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Apparently realestate.com is taking their place on the jumper

The sponsor logo on the back of the clash jumper looks really good

I remember back a 3-4 years ago whenever a new poster popped up on the board Millky95 would within 5 minutes be there with the "Welcome to the board [smiley face]" post and a stream of likes without fail.

#backontopic

realestate.com.au makes perfect sense with the red and white brand colouring :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back