Preview JLT Round 1 - Gold Coast vs Western Bulldogs - Sunday March 3, 7:40pm in Mackay

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Anybody dare to predict Dew's 26 players for JLT1? I assume the best lineup available will be used.

Murdoch got a leg knock so I presume he is out. Lukosius was icing his calf after the game so I left him out too though I hope it was just precautionary. Brodie played only 2 terms, looked like catching up on conditioning. Otherwise all 3 would be in for me.

Here is my attempt based on practice game vs Lions, players rested against Lions, injuries.

B: Harbrow Thompson Joyce
HB: Ballard, Hombsh, Hanley
C: Weller Swallow Martin
HF: Sexton Day Rankine
F: Ainsworth Wright Lemmens
Foll: Witts Miles Fiorini

Int: Bowes Miller Ah Chee Burgess Collins GHS Powell Young

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Anybody dare to predict Dew's 26 players for JLT1? I assume the best lineup available will be used.

Murdoch got a leg knock so I presume he is out. Lukosius was icing his calf after the game so I left him out too though I hope it was just precautionary. Brodie played only 2 terms, looked like catching up on conditioning. Otherwise all 3 would be in for me.

Here is my attempt based on practice game vs Lions, players rested against Lions, injuries.

B: Harbrow Thompson Joyce
HB: Ballard, Hombsh, Hanley
C: Weller Swallow Martin
HF: Sexton Day Rankine
F: Ainsworth Wright Lemmens
Foll: Witts Miles Fiorini

Int: Bowes Miller Ah Chee Burgess Collins GHS Powell Young
This has got to be very close if not spot on based on form and seniority. There's some unlucky players missing out which is great signs for our depth.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
There will be blokes who only play a half in there. There will be people who play the full game. The coaching staff will know who they want to get a whole game in.

This game like the previous won't be about results, but will be about making sure the lads are moving to the right positions and making the correct runs.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Many new players, never played together. Not enough games to build synergy, cohesion. Best 26 and 24? for both JLT games. Several key players could play only 1 JLT.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Think the main thing we need to work out for round 1 is
- tall defenders - St Kilda have Bruce, McCartin and Membrey - not 100% sure our best match up for them. Unfortunate that Bulldogs tend to play small in the fwd line Schache and Gowers as the two talls - if Boyd plays then it might be a more similar set up with Gowers the equivalent of Membrey

- the final few midfielders - do we go with Brodie / GHS / Powell etc.. to pair with the core guys.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Think the main thing we need to work out for round 1 is
- tall defenders - St Kilda have Bruce, McCartin and Membrey - not 100% sure our best match up for them. Unfortunate that Bulldogs tend to play small in the fwd line Schache and Gowers as the two talls - if Boyd plays then it might be a more similar set up with Gowers the equivalent of Membrey

- the final few midfielders - do we go with Brodie / GHS / Powell etc.. to pair with the core guys.
Regarding St Kilda it looks to me like Thompson and Hombsh are locked in. Question is do we go also with Collins or play Ballard as interceptor? I doubt we play King unless he recovers and plays great in JLT.

Powell was one of the best in practice game. It would not surprise me if he makes round 1.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
After the ridiculous amount of travelling we did last year, I think the AFL have looked after us by scheduling this one in Mackay and our second JLT game two hours drive from the Gold Coast. I'm really interested to see how we go in this one with a squad that's much closer to our best 22. I assume Swallow, Witts and Miller will all play, along with some of the others who missed the scratch match against Brisbane.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
After the ridiculous amount of travelling we did last year, I think the AFL have looked after us by scheduling this one in Mackay and our second JLT game two hours drive from the Gold Coast. I'm really interested to see how we go in this one with a squad that's much closer to our best 22. I assume Swallow, Witts and Miller will all play, along with some of the others who missed the scratch match against Brisbane.
Just hoping that weather will be not too bad. At present, 70% chance showers, 1-5 mm rain, 23 min - 28 degree max.

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Getting flashbacks to that JLT game 2-3 years ago against the doggies where we came out and pantsed them in the first half, up by 40-odd only to run out of gas and lose by a couple I think.
Some of the best footy we had played against opposition. Turns out JLT is not overly contested or hard, and we were really not a contested or hard team as the real season showed. I think the Bulldogs May have been the pre-season after the Bulldogs won the flag?

Anyway. Good times. Can’t wait to watch and see Izzy, Lukosius, etc. live together.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Team for Sunday

B: J.Joyce 38, R.Thompson 16, J.Harbrow 5
HB: J.Murdoch 31, S.Collins 25, C.Ballard 10
C: L.Weller 14, T.Miller 11, G.Horlin-Smith 33
HF: A.Sexton 6, P.Wright 30, J.Lukosius 41
F: I.Rankine 37, S.Lemmens 23, B.Ainsworth 9
Foll: J.Witts 28, D.Swallow 24, J.Martin 4
I/C W.Powell 27, J.Bowes 3, A.Miles, 2, B.Fiorini 8, C.Burgess 29, B.King 34, C.Ah Chee 13, D.MacPherson 44

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
Yeah Brodie not picked. interesting
Surely will come in for final JLT as a last crack before round 1

Darcy Mac, B King, Luko the ones I'm most interested in seeing how they perform.
+ Jacky Martin on the ball!
won't come in for final JLT if he cant run out a game. that report from after the lions scrim where he was only outpacing goober in the supplemental running was concerning. doesn't matter how good you are in the centre square if you aren't fit enough to leave said square. I assume he must have had a hiccup in preseason that we didn't hear about.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Jack Martin starting on ball is exciting, reckon he will look pretty good out of there, don't mind it. Seanny Lemmens charging out of the goal square, might be going short and a lot of pressure on that full forward line. Or we might just be naming them in random spots to get them all on the list. No Hanley is interesting, we just wrapping him in cotton wool until Round 1, will have missed a lot of pre-season games, hopefully makes JLT2?

Sam Day also missing.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Jack Martin starting on ball is exciting, reckon he will look pretty good out of there, don't mind it. Seanny Lemmens charging out of the goal square, might be going short and a lot of pressure on that full forward line. Or we might just be naming them in random spots to get them all on the list. No Hanley is interesting, we just wrapping him in cotton wool until Round 1, will have missed a lot of pre-season games, hopefully makes JLT2?

Sam Day also missing.
It's just the team sheet but he'll play a bit onball I reckon.

Day is emergency.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Can someone who knows please shed some light on this situation?? To me this is the most crucial issue coming out of our pre-season.
A few of the players have been sick this week.
Could of been whatever Ben King had I’d say that’s why Brodie was not selected.

Not buying the he can’t run out games crap

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
A few of the players have been sick this week.
Could of been whatever Ben King had I’d say that’s why Brodie was not selected.

Not buying the he can’t run out games crap
Aye even draft year he was fit enough to run out games. I imagine he’s on a managed training load from a minor injury or he was sick hence his minimal time in the scratch match vs Brisbane too

Back