News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

I've had twinges in my muscles that feel like a snap and release of tension, always in particular areas that have had niggles and injury before (or connects to areas like that - I have calf issues from ankle issues from injury). At the time I'm sure I'm heading to the hospital.

But it's nothing, fascia un-sticking.

Have you ever broken a rib and occasionally you'll lean back and the bone will shift microscopically and touch the periosteum and your brain jumps thinking the bone has left your chest?

Same same.

Jul 20, 2018
Good news if the calf isn’t as bad as first thought

Could be anything that triggered this last flare up... when surfing for a few hours, you start to see ‘ghost waves’ whereby you’re simply seeing or feeling a wave is coming because you’ve been out on the water too long. Harley may just have a mental connection that’s built over time that he ‘felt’ something or his brain simply telling him he felt It where it in effect, it was nothing.

Or his salt levels are terrible and he cramps a lot

Who ****** knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Injured/not injured - people really shouldn't be riding this emotional Rollercoaster if they don't need to.

Clarity is the key though, if he's simply unlikely to be fit and firing in the first half (or even third) of the season we need to seek the top up option before March 15.

Our flag tilt is still a 3-4 years away, and when we're in contention it will likely be without Sandi, Mundy, Ballantyne and even Hill, Walter's and Fyfe will be in their twilight years.

Tough decisions need to be made now, some obscure pick in 4 years from now could be cemented in our best 22.

DaveLister

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Even with that we don't seem to have a time frame on when he might be able to play? Will we see him Monday? Sunday week? R1 of WAFL?
Not sure why you would expect them to do that. Giving time frames for Harley clearly hasn't worked in the past. When Harley inevitably misses the time frame it only serves to allow shock jocks and alarmists to point the finger at Freo and say 'medical mismanagement' or 'contract mismanagement' or at Harley and say 'will never play again', 'stick a fork in him', 'should have been delisted' or 'it is a cover up for misbehavior' etc.

The facts are; he's got more into his legs this preseason than he has before at Fremantle, he has not had an actual injury for the entire preseason, he hasn't had a significant injury setback since before his WAFL return in round 7 last year and he hasn't had a behavioural issue since January or last year. He signed a 1 year reduced pay contract to have a final chance to prove himself following his least injured year at Fremantle and so far nothing actually bad has happened.

He is 26, one of the best players at full capacity, he may not make it back to full capacity but if he is reduced to playing as a full time forward he is still worthwhile having on the list. Retiring this sort of talent to take either the 140th drafted player from last year or even the 6th best mature player halfway through the season is a huge waste.

DMan 11

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
you can all thank me for saving you 24 hours of Harleycalfrelated anxiety :cool: !

As I said in previous post, he didn't feel like it was all that bad.

Keep the faith peeps :rainbow::rainbow:

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
you can all thank me for saving you 24 hours of Harleycalfrelated anxiety :cool: !

As I said in previous post, he didn't feel like it was all that bad.

Keep the faith peeps :rainbow::rainbow:

Superharleycalfrelated anxietyalidocious?

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
I really don’t mind this overreaction and resting Harley’s calves, even if it ends up as nothing.
I think it’s ok to be over cautious if he felt something. It’s not like we need him to get up and play finals next week or something.
How many times have we had player reinjure themselves coming back too soon?

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
I really don’t mind this overreaction and resting Harley’s calves, even if it ends up as nothing.
I think it’s ok to be over cautious if he felt something. It’s not like we need him to get up and play finals next week or something.
How many times have we had player reinjure themselves coming back too soon?
Eleventy seven.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our flag tilt is still a 3-4 years away, and when we're in contention it will likely be without Sandi, Mundy, Ballantyne and even Hill, Walter's and Fyfe will be in their twilight years.

Tough decisions need to be made now, some obscure pick in 4 years from now could be cemented in our best 22.
Given the last 3 premiers, I think it's safe to assume every year you're in contention for the flag. At least at the beginning of the year.

If it's not panning out that way there's still plenty of time across the season to start thinking about the rebuilding thing.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Given the last 3 premiers, I think it's safe to assume every year you're in contention for the flag. At least at the beginning of the year.

If it's not panning out that way there's still plenty of time across the season to start thinking about the rebuilding thing.

If Bennell blows up, it's an entire year a bootlick sits out of the AFL system.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is no point rushing in a player via the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP), which is just 17-18 days away. A few of the clubs are going in a player or two short now to have a selection(s) for the mid season draft.

HB is under contract and was reportedly training well until end of Jan when he sustained Calf awareness and was backed off before suffering a minor strain x 2. I’m also a bit all over this whole on again off again situation with HB but might as well see how he tracks for the first half of the season.

I would think that the mid-season draft (after rd 11 in reverse ladder order) would be the one for us to target a local WAFL player to get in ahead of the Nov ND giving some decent sample of games. Might even be Sandi that heads to early retirement instead of HB.

I still like Crowden’s mate Tom Lewis from Sturt.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
It's time to play Harley and if his body can't take it then Freo need to move on from him.
Quite a few years back the Bulldogs were nursing one of their premier ruckmen for a long time (Darcy I think or perhaps Scott Wynd?) and in the end they took the bust through or bust route and he went on to play plenty of good footy for them. Time to throw away the cotton wool.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
There is no point rushing in a player via the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP), which is just 17-18 days away. A few of the clubs are going in a player or two short now to have a selection(s) for the mid season draft.

HB is under contract and was reportedly training well until end of Jan when he sustained Calf awareness and was backed off before suffering a minor strain x 2. I’m also a bit all over this whole on again off again situation with HB but might as well see how he tracks for the first half of the season.

I would think that the mid-season draft (after rd 11 in reverse ladder order) would be the one for us to target a local WAFL player to get in ahead of the Nov ND giving some decent sample of games. Might even be Sandi that heads to early retirement instead of HB.

I still like Crowden’s mate Tom Lewis from Sturt.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes, I’m a fan of Toms also, really thought he’d get picked up last year.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's time to play Harley and if his body can't take it then Freo need to move on from him.
Quite a few years back the Bulldogs were nursing one of their premier ruckmen for a long time (Darcy I think or perhaps Scott Wynd?) and in the end they took the bust through or bust route and he went on to play plenty of good footy for them. Time to throw away the cotton wool.

Agreed, another one is Shane Crawford 2008 season, kept being told to rest his knee. It would get better then flare up when he tried to increase his loads. In the end they just threw caution to the wind and told him to do the opposite and mega load it. He may not have starred in the GF that year but he has a premiership medal that would never have been his with the conventional conservative route.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It is reverse ladder order, and there will only be 2-3 players worth picking up a year.

If Gold Coast got Kelly, and then trade him to the Eagles for pick 22 and 23 then they win.
I understand what you mean, just the fact that your required to 'open up' list space, means some of these young clubs - ie. Gold Coast, still mightn't have access to Kelly. Freo for example wouldn't be wanting to cut Crowden/Giro/Dixon types for a mature age player so sides with a few less oldies (and oldies that dont get dropped mid year) will find it hard.

yakamoto

Club Legend
May 8, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
So no damage to Harley’s calf revealed. Needs to be sent back to have more scans done. They’ll turn up something eventually. It worked for Shane Watson.🙄

Last edited:

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
So no damage to Harley’s calf revealed. Needs to be sent back to have more scans done. They’ll turn up something eventually. It worked for Shane Watson.🙄
Where did you read more scans?

Duffield today: Harley Bennell’s latest calf setback could not set him back far at all, with scans clearing the Fremantle midfielder of any fresh damage.

Clearly Harley's paranoid... but I wouldn't blame him atm. Please let him be ok for JLT.

Back