Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
You state Banfield has more potential than Brayshaw. Can't take your opinion on Brayshaw seriously with crap like that. ;)
The way he justifies it is amazing. Breaking mids down into four groups, placing it what are clearky the wrong groups and calling Brayshaw a defensive mid are just some of the tactics he uses to make sure he isn't in his best 22.

As I said previously putting Banfield and Giro ahead of him is laughable. Actually trying to justify it is even more laughable.

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Apparently if you can tackle you're a defensive mid...who knew..
What traits of his would you consider attacking? That's my main criticism of his game. His handballing is creative and good at times but I'd have hoped for more from such a high pick.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
What traits of his would you consider attacking? That's my main criticism of his game.
He is a really well balanced midfielder who can tackle and presure his opponent, as well as find the ball and distribute.

His handballing is creative and good at times but I'd have hoped for more from such a high pick.
His draft pick is a non issue, just as Banfield getting games despite being on the rookie list was a non issue in terms of opportunity last year. Just as Sturt is unlikely to get games this year. It is a weird opinion.

Banfield and Giro will be selected based on their input, as would Brayshaw.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
What traits of his would you consider attacking? That's my main criticism of his game. His handballing is creative and good at times but I'd have hoped for more from such a high pick.
Would you call Trent Cotchin or Jack Redden or Jack Macrae defensive mids? What traits of theirs would you consider attacking? Each of those three were key pieces to the midfields of the last three premiers. What they bring is strong accountability both in congestion and on the spread, tackle well (don't miss tackles), poised with ball in hand and generally make good decisions both by hand and foot. I see Brayshaw as a player like Cotchin personally - not super speccy but super important to an effective midfield.

I think most people are just on a different wavelength as to their definition of defensive. I dont see being a defensive mid as a bad thing.

Some will think of defensive mids as taggers, some think of them as purely inside, to others, defensive mid means the all-rounder that doesnt everything well and runs both ways but isnt going to win you games bursting out of packs with line-breaking speed or kicking 1-2goals a game.

I think most of us would have AB in the 3rd column. As people have said, his offensive weapon is getting the pill at the bottom of the pack and releasing with a steller handpass which isnt as flashy as the line-breakers. He also happens to be an elite tackler which means people naturally think of him as a "defensive" mid.

The truth is, to be successful, you need at least one "defensive" mid (two-way runner) anyway. The best example is Geelong last year who had 0 accountability in their midfield so they look a million bucks when it goes there way but cant compete with the better teams since Danger, Ablett, Kelly and to a lesser extent Selwood all think that running the other way is too hard.

Lets not forget he was 18 last year and 19 this year...

Last edited:

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think most people are just on a different wavelength as to their definition of defensive. I dont see being a defensive mid as a bad thing.

Some will think of defensive mids as taggers, some think of them as purely inside, to others, defensive mid means the all-rounder that doesnt everything well and runs both ways but isnt going to win you games bursting out of packs with line-breaking speed or kicking 1-2goals a game.

I think most of us would have AB in the 3rd column. As people have said, his offensive weapon is getting the pill at the bottom of the pack and releasing with a stella handpass which isnt as flashy as the line-breakers. He also happens to be an elite tackler which means people naturally think of him as a "defensive" mid.

The truth is, to be successful, you need at least one "defensive" mid (two-way runner) anyway. The best example is Geelong last year who had 0 accountability in their midfield so they look a million bucks when it goes there way but cant compete with the better teams since Danger, Ablett, Kelly and too a lesser extent Selwood all think that running the other way is too hard.

Related to this, I think the hyper "defence" we were producing a couple of seasons ago is very attacking.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
I followed Angus Brayshaw very closely and his first couple of seasons mirrored Andy to some extent. Very courageous, strong at the footy but not what you would call an attacking weapon - in fact if you compare his statistics for year one versus Andy they are very similar. Last year, in his third year he was third in the Brownlow.

Give Andy a couple of years to develop into the player he WILL be before judging a 19 year old.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I followed Angus Brayshaw very closely and his first couple of seasons mirrored Andy to some extent. Very courageous, strong at the footy but not what you would call an attacking weapon - in fact if you compare his statistics for year one versus Andy they are very similar. Last year, in his third year he was third in the Brownlow.

Give Andy a couple of years to develop into the player he WILL be before judging a 19 year old.
Yes, there is a similarity, and as brothers with similar attitudes it is a pretty reasonable comparison. I really cannot see any basis for not thinking that Brayshaw can be as good as Brayshaw, and vice versa. In addition to the stats comparison, in character and attitude he rates at the high end as well. In that particular draft he was perhaps preferred to others as he projected as more of a sure bet than, say LDU or Cerra for various reason.

The club may have used a little draft day strategy to get both Brayshaw and Cerra.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brayshaw reminds me of Scott West. Assuming no bad injuires, he's going to spend years grinding it out in the engine room getting the ball to the likes of Walters, Langdon, Cerra and Sturt on the outside who will then be hitting Hogan on the tit.

He'll end up being just as good as Neale at extraction but will be better at sticking a tackle.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I can't be arsed looking it up but I am sure Andy was decent at speedy breaks from packs in the u18s. He is not slow (ran a 3s). That's all you need really. Quality extractor, accumulator and tackler who can burst from a pack when the opportunity opens up. That is pretty much Clayton Oliver.

Pretty sure he is a sub-3 second sprinter, also top of class repeat sprinting, top level endurance etc. He has great athletic pedigree with great work ethic, kicking is a only a bit above average but my expectation is within a year he will start to clock up high possessions and kilometres and do lots of strong work around the packs all day long.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

I think most of us would have AB in the 3rd column. As people have said, his offensive weapon is getting the pill at the bottom of the pack and releasing with a steller handpass which isnt as flashy as the line-breakers. He also happens to be an elite tackler which means people naturally think of him as a "defensive" mid.

The truth is, to be successful, you need at least one "defensive" mid (two-way runner) anyway. The best example is Geelong last year who had 0 accountability in their midfield so they look a million bucks when it goes there way but cant compete with the better teams since Danger, Ablett, Kelly and to a lesser extent Selwood all think that running the other way is too hard.

I think that suggests defensive mid is just a bit of a bogus category. Defence/attack is a continuum for mids, so some have more defensive elements to their game, but that doesn't stop them from being attacking. In some sense though, you want the midfield to compliment each other in carrying out the game plan.

At this stage Brayshaw has shown a higher ceiling than Banfield, while Cerra has revealed a higher ceiling than Brayshaw, but at such early stages of their careers, I'd be disinclined to pigeon hole any one of them.

Patty_Moz

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
My personal opinion is that it’s way too early to judge but anyhow Brayshaw reminds me of Luke Ball. Really tough on the inside, excellent work ethic, looks like a good accumulator, great tackler and good with his hands.
Also similar to Ball he seems to lack polish and penetration with his kicking, is mid sized and doesn’t have explosive pace.
Touch wood with injuries and I could definitely see him playing 200+ games and be a premiership player just like Ball.

332docker

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Western Force
FB: Ryan, Hamling, Wilson
HB: Cerra, Pearce, Duman
C: B Hill, Hogan, Langdon
R: Darcy, Fyfe, Mundy
HF: McCarthy, Taberner, Walters
FF: Switkowski, Lobb, Matera
IC: Conca, Brayshaw, Collier, Bennell

Emerg:
Bewley, Banfield, B.Cox

If Bennell has nothing wrong with his calf as freo have reported and he has done the biggest volume of work (as freo reported) compared to other preseasons, then I reckon they just need him playing. He needs to get confidence back in his body and playing week in week out. I'd like to see him play JLT 1 & 2 and if he has not broken down starting on the I/C. Keep playing him till he really breaks down for a long period and then inject someone else into the team. I also can't justify putting Logue in after he had so much time off and was never an established player or a star. He should force his way back via Peel.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Can't justify Logue because he has missed too much time (but was one of the best in the intraclub), but Bennell is an "in" because he has trained the biggest volume compared to other seasons (but isn't currently training).....

Still trying to figure that rationale out myself.

Personally think there is a lot of over-rating on Duman at the moment. Yes, when he had the ball he used it well but he was an outright liability defensively a lot of the time. I said this before but I remember Puopolo breathing on him in a contest and he went flying 5 metres off the ball.

There is definitely something to work with but I dont think he's best 22 at the moment and Logue, who can actually defend as a defender has him pretty well covered at the moment

Rion

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Personally think there is a lot of over-rating on Duman at the moment. Yes, when he had the ball he used it well but he was an outright liability defensively a lot of the time. I said this before but I remember Puopolo breathing on him in a contest and he went flying 5 metres off the ball.

There is definitely something to work with but I dont think he's best 22 at the moment and Logue, who can actually defend as a defender has him pretty well covered at the moment

I reckon Logue is more over-rated around here than Duman. Logue was 'alright' defensively but offered extremely little offensively in 2017 and didn't even play a game last year. If he gets a game we're definetly going to need to see an offensive game from him because it's a struggle to fit 3 tall offensively limited backman in your six. Duman on the other hand had a number of pretty special games last year for a young player and finished the year firmly entrenched in the best 22 even if his defense looked a bit shaky at times (not surprising for a young defender playing on quality smalls).

I'd probably have Logue in as well just on potential (with Duman playing more minutes further up the ground) but in a straight comparison I'm taking Duman every day of the week.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I still don't think Logue vs Duman is a thing. Like, I get that there are limited positions in the backline but they play totally different roles. Could easily see both play round 1.
If Logue was in the 22, but injured, you would consider Duman as a replacement, and vice-versa. But in the end we have limited vacancies in defence, so they are in the same discussion.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Logue was in the 22, but injured, you would consider Duman as a replacement, and vice-versa. But in the end we have limited vacancies in defence, so they are in the same discussion.
See I don't think they are. Picking one over the other is changing the structure and I don't think it works that way. You decide on the structure and pick the personal for that, ie the roles in that structure.

IMO, Duman's competition is Nyhuis (and that is somewhat structural too) and the mids that play back (Hill, Conca, Blakely, Cerra).
Logue's are Cox, Kersten and Watson.

Back