Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signs with GWS]

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Back to Kelly this is the deal that will set him up for life. He’s 23 this deal whether he stays or goes you would imagine it being long term 7plus years taking him into his 30s

A factor he needs to consider is where does he want to settle down and eventually raise his family years from now

I think it’s inevitable he chooses to come home now

Is there a lady in his life? A partner?

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A pound of flesh or your first born.

You may be right, especially seeing how you were unable to buy him last time around.

Perhaps the lure of premierships and working with one of, if not the greatest coach of all time, may entice him.

In all seriousness though, surely it would take something more than substantial in trade value, to get a deal done.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You may be right, especially seeing how you were unable to buy him last time around.

Perhaps the lure of premierships and working with one of, if not the greatest coach of all time, may entice him.

In all seriousness though, surely it would take something more than substantial in trade value, to get a deal done.
If GWS were dealing with Hawhorn the price might start with T.Mitchell.

Personally I don’t think hes leaving.

Last edited:

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If GWS were dealing with Hawhorn the price might start with T.Mitchell.

Personally I don’t think his leaving.

Maybe you could offer them Jed Anderson.

However, I think you may be right in relation to him not leaving.

If by some snowballs chance he does, then I hope it's to join us.

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
in that snowballs chance, how do you see that trade to the hawks happening?
What would you give up then?

While the starting price would be high and most likely be 2 top 10 picks, it would all depend on where we finish on the ladder, at the end of season.

Before the ghastly injury to Mitchell, I honestly thought that we would give the competition a good shake up.

However now I'm not as confident obviously and think that with the overall evenness of the competition at the moment, we could finish anywhere between 6th-14th and although it may sound silly to some, I see it as a very real possibility.

If we were to finish down the lower end of the table, then obviously that would give us a stronger hand to play with and with Birchall, Burgoyne and Roughead all possibly hanging up the boots at the end of the season, then GWS may think we'll maintain a similar position by the end of the 2020 season.

At the end of the day though, regardless of ladder position, if he does decide to leave and we're his preferred destination, then Clarko will get it done like he always does.

If the O'Meara and Wingard trades haven't proven that, then I don't know what will.

If he were to choose North, what do you think you'd offer up?

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While the starting price would be high and most likely be 2 top 10 picks, it would all depend on where we finish on the ladder, at the end of season.

Before the ghastly injury to Mitchell, I honestly thought that we would give the competition a good shake up.

However now I'm not as confident obviously and think that with the overall evenness of the competition at the moment, we could finish anywhere between 6th-14th and although it may sound silly to some, I see it as a very real possibility.

If we were to finish down the lower end of the table, then obviously that would give us a stronger hand to play with and with Birchall, Burgoyne and Roughead all possibly hanging up the boots at the end of the season, then GWS may think we'll maintain a similar position by the end of the 2020 season.

At the end of the day though, regardless of ladder position, if he does decide to leave and we're his preferred destination, then Clarko will get it done like he always does.

If the O'Meara and Wingard trades haven't proven that, then I don't know what will.

If he were to choose North, what do you think you'd offer up?
As I said before, it’s very hard to get players to move clubs and I don’t think he’ll leave GWS.

I don’t think North have the luxury of finishing outside the 8. As Josh would want to go to a side playing finals, so that complicates things.

My guess is it’ll be a 1st round and young player like TT or LDU.
Which personally I believe to be too high a price.

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As I said before, it’s very hard to get players to move clubs and I don’t think he’ll leave GWS.

I don’t think North have the luxury of finishing outside the 8. As Josh would want to go to a side playing finals, so that complicates things.

My guess is it’ll be a 1st round and young player like TT or LDU.
Which personally I believe to be too high a price.

Surely if you make finals this season it would take more than a 1st and LDU to get a trade done?

Also if he did nominate you, there is no way that a deal like that would be knocked back.

That'd definitely be unders and you would take it and run.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Nothing new really. I just hope we dont over invest in Josh. We typically offer young mids two years. Time for him to commit or go though I think.

Troubles me a bit that it's claimed 2017 was no distraction to the team in our finals series with him unsigned. It's true he played great footy and made the AA team that year. He's a vice captain now though and aspiring leaders are thinking about the playing group as a whole, and the possible effect on others.

Big_Birdy

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Nothing new really. I just hope we dont over invest in Josh. We typically offer young mids two years. Time for him to commit or go though I think.

Troubles me a bit that it's claimed 2017 was no distraction to the team in our finals series with him unsigned. It's true he played great footy and made the AA team that year. He's a vice captain now though and aspiring leaders are thinking about the playing group as a whole, and the possible effect on others.

Fair enough, that's the first I've read anyone claim he has told his manager to get a deal done with GWS though.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Player of his talent you snap his hand off for 2 years and the hope you have that premiership in the next 2 seasons, or you can’t retain him with him more hitting FA.
I'm not sure going through this every two years is good for the club. Bear in mind if he goes we will extract a pound of flesh in the trade. He ain't going cheap. If he did reach free agency without any negatives we would get blown out if the water by clubs with cash seeking his talent.

Back