Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a big difference between an A Grade Half Back Flanker and an A Grade midfielder. The latter being far more valuable and harder to achieve. Still better to have an A Grade half back flanker than a B Grade half back flanker, but lets hope one of Laird, Smith or Milera can turn themselves in to an A Grade midfielder this season. Milera looks the most promising.

Wish I could find that bump gif
giphy.gif

FYI: The club has a giphy account: https://giphy.com/adelaidecrows

Precisely this. Milera to play wing and slot it at HB only for occasional rotations.
With the way the game is so compact (congested) Wing, HB and even attacking mids are quite similar roles. They are the outside playmakers. The 666 rule changes the starting positions but between goals they will revert back to the congestion. Coaches love congestion.

Milera could start on the wing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We've had the likes of humdrum players like Mackay, Reilly, Shirley, Connell, Wright, Henderson, Symes, Eccles etc run through our midfield/wing positions over the years but Milera isn't ready for it? Really?
Lets hope he isn't the next Johncock.
stiff never was able to get the tank, Milera won the 3km time trial
id say Smith is the better "hope he's not the next" comparison if were talking desire for him to become a midfielder where he probably has the tools (incl fitness) but was seen to have showed too much value off dbf before transitioning to the midfield, and the preventing that transition from happening rather than not being equipped

People underestimate how important a strong HB line is for us if they think Milera playing HB makes him a "lesser" player.

Having said that given his evasiveness and strong core, midfield is his future.

Short stints this and next year with 2021 being a full time mid when Gibbs retires.

If anything it's the opposite. People seriously underrate how important the midfield is, and want to waste a very damaging piece on the half back line.

A strong half back line is certainly nice, but premierships are won and lost in the middle. Not elsewhere.

I think its great we have 3 very attacking A grade back flankers but our DEFENCE might suffer if we play all three. Im in the camp of Milera to midfield. Or play on Atkins wing and Atkins can play off the bench. Seed owns the othed wing.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure there is room, or even a need to be playing both Smith and Milera off half back. You do need 1 or 2 blokes back there defending.

Milera looks to me to be that next level prime mover. He has the game and now has the tank and body to drive the side.

Midfield for me.
Pack to pack midfielder? No.

Not keen on Milera being sat on at the bottom of the pack, not keen on having him as a pack-to-pack mid. We are strong in that area already.

Small defender? No.

Smith + Milera as two of our defensive six at centre bounces is not likely.

Wingman? Yes.

Milera will push back when the opposition are in possession then cut through open space back the other way.

Our wings are in and around the contest enough that Milera will get the opportunity to receive in congestion and break through anyway. It’s not like playing wing means spending the whole game 30 metres from the ball.

Hill and Smith were a big part of peak Hawthorn’s success and with Milera + Seedsman we now have two high quality wings to complement our inside ball winners.

Good chance for AA squad I would think.

I think we have a lot of flexibility in our team now. We should turn that into a weapon.

Wing: Seedsman, Atkins, Smith, Milera, Gibbs, Sloane, Brad Crouch, Knight, Gallucci
Half back: Laird, Smith, Milera, Gibbs, Sloane, Seedsman, Brad Crouch

Most of those names can also run through the midfield. The ability to change things up that arent working on the day without losing anything is something that can take us to the next level. Most of these guys will be in the same 22. If you do the math :) we dont have a fixed spot for all of them, so rotating them and multi purposing them is something to be embraced not worried about.

I think Wayne could give Smith and even Laird a run for their money on who is the best half back flanker in our side. As that article said for his last 7 games Wayne was averaging 22.5 disposals, 5.6 marks and 6.6 intercepts. It comes down to what he creates with those 22.5 disposals and he can go past Laird's 30 disposals if he is setting up scoring opportunities. Also Smith who has never bettered that average in his career to date. Its a small sample size and I am not saying Wayne can keep that up, but if he does then he could be the first choice for that role in no time.

But rather than thinking of them as fighting each other for spots, how can we best make use of three A-graders that we are fortunate enough to have.

Pack to pack midfielder? No.

Not keen on Milera being sat on at the bottom of the pack, not keen on having him as a pack-to-pack mid. We are strong in that area already.

Small defender? No.

Smith + Milera as two of our defensive six at centre bounces is not likely.

Wingman? Yes.

Milera will push back when the opposition are in possession then cut through open space back the other way.

Our wings are in and around the contest enough that Milera will get the opportunity to receive in congestion and break through anyway. It’s not like playing wing means spending the whole game 30 metres from the ball.

Hill and Smith were a big part of peak Hawthorn’s success and with Milera + Seedsman we now have two high quality wings to complement our inside ball winners.

Good chance for AA squad I would think.

I want Milera playing as a pack to pack mid. Imagine that pace, disposal skill and agility being the first receiver of the ball. Pull that off and that is a damn scary weapon right when the rule changes just may have made that much more potent.

He's also developing quite a mean streak too, so wouldn't lose anything defensively either.

If anything it's the opposite. People seriously underrate how important the midfield is, and want to waste a very damaging piece on the half back line.

A strong half back line is certainly nice, but premierships are won and lost in the middle. Not elsewhere.
Our midfield is certainly our weakness. Rated 9th or 10th recently. 3rd last for center clearances last year and when the oppo runs in overlap through the middle we are habitually carved up. Just too one paced and same same.

Our midfield is certainly our weakness. Rated 9th or 10th recently. 3rd last for center clearances last year and when the oppo runs in overlap through the middle we are habitually carved up. Just too one paced and same same.
Midfield was a strength with a full complement in 2017.

Not very good in 2018 but we had some injuries.

Sloane MCrouch BCrouch Gibbs is a pretty good main four I would have thought.

One paced pack to pack mids doesn’t matter. Didn’t bother peak Hawthorn. As long as we have pace in the roles we need it...like wing

Midfield was a strength with a full complement in 2017.

Not very good in 2018 but we had some injuries.

Sloane MCrouch BCrouch Gibbs is a pretty good main four I would have thought.

One paced pack to pack mids doesn’t matter. Didn’t bother peak Hawthorn. As long as we have pace in the roles we need it...like wing

We're in no danger of not having pace on the wings. We're stacked on the outside currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruck is the biggest problem IMO.

It's definitely the biggest right now, seeing Sauce is teetering along that cliff face. Still, any strengthening we can do to it will massively help our premiership aspirations.

The top 4 is good, Greenwood is a perfectly adequate 2nd pure inside mid (and a dangerous forward option), but it does drop off a fair bit after that.

Precisely this. Milera to play wing and slot it at HB only for occasional rotations.
With the way the game is so compact (congested) Wing, HB and even attacking mids are quite similar roles. They are the outside playmakers. The 666 rule changes the starting positions but between goals they will revert back to the congestion. Coaches love congestion.

Milera could start on the wing.

1551170666878.png 1551170724006.png

I agree. Sauce has talked a pretty good game on where he is fitness wise and body wise. Its great to hear that. Just have to hope that he can back that up at this stage. ROB didnt exactly dominate a 2nd rate ruck outfit in the U23 game and Sauce is still beating him in training.

I think we have a lot of flexibility in our team now. We should turn that into a weapon.

Wing: Seedsman, Atkins, Smith, Milera, Gibbs, Sloane, Brad Crouch, Knight, Gallucci
Half back: Laird, Smith, Milera, Gibbs, Sloane, Seedsman, Brad Crouch

Most of those names can also run through the midfield. The ability to change things up that arent working on the day without losing anything is something that can take us to the next level. Most of these guys will be in the same 22. If you do the math :) we dont have a fixed spot for all of them, so rotating them and multi purposing them is something to be embraced not worried about.

I think Wayne could give Smith and even Laird a run for their money on who is the best half back flanker in our side. As that article said for his last 7 games Wayne was averaging 22.5 disposals, 5.6 marks and 6.6 intercepts. It comes down to what he creates with those 22.5 disposals and he can go past Laird's 30 disposals if he is setting up scoring opportunities. Also Smith who has never bettered that average in his career to date. Its a small sample size and I am not saying Wayne can keep that up, but if he does then he could be the first choice for that role in no time.

But rather than thinking of them as fighting each other for spots, how can we best make use of three A-graders that we are fortunate enough to have.
With a cap in rotations from the bench it is good to have guys in the 22 who can play multiple roles and roles that are less physically demanding.

Can "rest" in the less physically demanding role and save a
on interchange rotations.

“He is unbelievable. He’s had some hamstring issues, but he is unbelievable."

What are these hammy issues JJ is talking about? Is this the reason he didn't play AFLX and the U23?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back