Welcome Welcome to the Hawks Jack Scrimshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure Port Adelaide would be prepared to lend us Burton, even if it's only round 1...
TD’s point has been missed, I reckon.

We don’t respect Tex.

Yep, so I just can't see how Scrimshaw gets into the team, at least at Round 1

Sicily - Frawley - Stratton
Hardwick - Brand - Impey

Throw in someone like Morrison too, and Birchall getting fit maybe.
I want impy to be hff/inside mid. Was really damaging early in the year doing that role. Then when playing back went missing and we didn't really get the best out of him.

In the Intra Club, they trialled KB in the first half and TO in the second. I reckon we will go in with two talls, my tip is KB. The two talls pretty much play 95% going by previous years.

It then comes down to Scrimshaw sharing a spot with the remaining four which is how I reckon it will pan out.

Sorry man, but completely incorrect. Clarko has consistently demonstrated he will not play Brand and Frawley in the same side. I'd go as far to say 95% of the time over the past three years only one has played. Won't happen.

Stratton and Sicily have played as a second tall when needed.

Bookmark it: we have replaced Burton with a trade for our fourth round pick.
Burton will become a top player, but you can't forgo that kind of value trade that then enables you to acquire one of the elite players of the competition entering his prime years.

Sorry man, but completely incorrect. Clarko has consistently demonstrated he will not play Brand and Frawley in the same side. I'd go as far to say 95% of the time over the past three years only one has played. Won't happen.

Stratton and Sicily have played as a second tall when needed.

Burton was the one that did that for mine, more than Stratts or Sicily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brand and Chip played rounds 18 to 22. We won all those games. Brand steps up, he'll play.

Or, maybe that pairing was trialled in the intra club for absolutely no reason.

It also looks like teams will playing more talls in their fwd line this year so i think we will see a lot more of the Frawley/Brand duo. I thought towards the end of last year they played quite well together.

Brand and Chip played rounds 18 to 22. We won all those games. Brand steps up, he'll play.

Or, maybe that pairing was trialled in the intra club for absolutely no reason.

Sicily was out but for those games remember dude. He was ultimately our CHB last year. I can't see Clarko changing that too much. Like McGovern, Like Rance, he will just back the kid in to beat his man by winning the ball in the air.

Frawley and Brand together just kills any rebound as both are old fashioned one-on-one defenders. You can't really play two of these blokes anymore unless the rule changes ultimately do create plenty of one-on-one chances. But that's a bit of wait and see at the moment and sides you'd think will still try and back their structures as opposed to resorting to one-on-one.

I would be shocked if he doesn’t play Round 1 as it’s a perfect opportunity for him to play as many games as possible until Birchall comes back from that injury if he even manages to come back at all. He was recruited for this exact reason as Birchall’s long term replacement.

I think Scrimshaw will have no problem having an impact straight away with Sicily getting most of the attention from opposition teams, it gives Scrimshaw the chance to be the other half back flanker and his kicking style will suit the MCG much like Sicily. If he can play 10-15 games this year that’s as a big tick for his development. He’s only 20.

I would be shocked if he doesn’t play Round 1. Perfect opportunity for him to play as many games as possible until Birchall comes back if he even manages to come back from injury. He was recruited for this exact reason anyway as Birchall’s long term replacement.

I think Scrimshaw will have no problem having an impact straight away with Sicily getting most of the attention from opposition teams it gives Scrimshaw the chance to be the other half back flanker. If he can play 10-15 games this year that as a big tick for his development. Let’s not forget he’s still only 20.
My gut agrees with you. I think he's going to be one I'm watching out for the most in the pre-season games. The others (Chad, Scully, etc.) we know what we're expecting. This fella is more of an unknown.

I'm bloody wrapped that we picked this kid up, the fact that it cost us a packet of twisties makes it even better.

Hopefully he gets a few games early on, so that we can see what he's got.

Last edited:
For mine, Scrimshaw will make a player. He's too talented not to.

He'll be an absolute weapon off Half Back; in fact, I'd almost go as far as to say that a Sicily and Scrimshaw duo would be the best attacking combination we've ever had off half back in the AFL era.

Not only do they both have lethal kicking, on potential Scrimshaw also has that Sicily-esque reading of the ball.

Fingers crossed we get to see that in 2019.

For mine, Scrimshaw will make a player. He's too talented not to.

He'll be an absolute weapon off Half Back; in fact, I'd almost go as far as to say that a Sicily and Scrimshaw duo would be the best attacking combination we've ever had off half back in the AFL era.

Not only do they both have lethal kicking, on potential Scrimshaw also has that Sicily-esque reading of the ball.

Fingers crossed we get to see that in 2019.

Birchall, Guerra, Hodge, Ladson say hi.

It also looks like teams will playing more talls in their fwd line this year so i think we will see a lot more of the Frawley/Brand duo. I thought towards the end of last year they played quite well together.

Yes, Richmond winning the flag with one key forward had a lot of copy cat coaches trying the same thing, meaning we often didn't need two talls down back. With West Coast winning it with two key forwards, bet they go back to the old way and we play two key defenders...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back