List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little more conservative on proclaiming that all our winning tickets have already come in but see it pretty much the same way.

Fwiw aside from Tom Boyd to a small extent there still hasn't been a modern era 'big name' (and Josh isn't that from a marketing perspective) / 'big money' signing that resulted in a flag.

It might've been through circumstance but the targeted approach towards Polec, Hall, Tyson reminded me a lot of the successful recruitment period when we landed Grant, McCartney, Abraham. Allowing that Grant was a higher profile player than that lot (let's not forget he cost us our vice-captain) both periods saw us get some potentially high quality players with strengths suited to our list while not spending too much.

Contrast to dealing for Colbert who was the 2nd coming at the time (sound familiar?), cost us the farm and delivered next to nothing in terms of team on-field outcome.

Yep, and our drafting since we felt the need to go all out for Josh has been pretty handy too.

I'm a little more conservative on proclaiming that all our winning tickets have already come in but see it pretty much the same way.

Fwiw aside from Tom Boyd to a small extent there still hasn't been a modern era 'big name' (and Josh isn't that from a marketing perspective) / 'big money' signing that resulted in a flag.

It might've been through circumstance but the targeted approach towards Polec, Hall, Tyson reminded me a lot of the successful recruitment period when we landed Grant, McCartney, Abraham. Allowing that Grant was a higher profile player than that lot (let's not forget he cost us our vice-captain) both periods saw us get some potentially high quality players with strengths suited to our list while not spending too much.

Contrast to dealing for Colbert who was the 2nd coming at the time (sound familiar?), cost us the farm and delivered next to nothing in terms of team on-field outcome.

Josh can't even win a flag for a star studded GWS outfit, he isn't going to walk into a team with less talent and win a flag on his own. Josh would have been the icing on the cake, but the icing isn't much use if you have no cake.

Let's be honest, Josh Kelly would walk into any team and be the best mid at nearly every side in the league.

BUT, and like J.Lo's, this is a very big but, it isn't 2016 anymore, and we're not as desperate for midfield quality as we were.

The Ahern move has paid off, the only question now is how much we collect on that punt, and from the evidence last year, and the shape he's in now, it is looking very much like we got an ultra classy inside outside former high draft pick mid off GWS anyway, and we only had to pay chicken feed.

Anderson has come on and become the player we traded for. Froggy Dumont has taken the next step and is 10x the player he was in 2016.

Jy Simpkin looks like he'll be able to fill a high quality inside/outside mid role.

And there's a certain bloke called LDU who we would have given away to get Josh who is tracking very nicely indeed.

Then there are guys like Will Walker and Tarryn Thomas who could be anything.

We had a crack with Josh and he decided he didn't want to take what we offered. Fair enough. I suspect he had an idea, and had certainly been fed the idea, that we were in for a long rebuild and GWS were set for flag glory.

If when FA comes he puts himself on the market, sure, let's bid, but now, whatevs, things have turned out pretty nicely imo.

Tend to agree. The reality is that if he wants to come to us we'll pay and pay well - but I can't see it being in the same vicinity as the previous offer. That was then, this is now. It's a risk / reward situation, before we were paying more for him to take a bigger risk on us. The equation has changed and I would expect him to get a healthy offer (as per any great player traded in) but not what he would have in 2016. Just my 2c.

I am guilty of getting too emotionally invested in all this, and maybe I got a little too excited in putting parts of the jigsaw together, thinking he was a done deal for 2020

Day by day my optimism is waning but at least Rejection #2 won’t be a bitter pill to swallow as I’ve now found inner peace and have come to terms with it.

As previous posters have said our midfield is starting to come along nicely, and there is no way in hell I would part with LDU or TT for josh , no chance

It’s a pity he has no burning desire to wear our beautiful colours, like his dad did, I wish him well ( except against us)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Tend to agree. The reality is that if he wants to come to us we'll pay and pay well - but I can't see it being in the same vicinity as the previous offer. That was then, this is now. It's a risk / reward situation, before we were paying more for him to take a bigger risk on us. The equation has changed and I would expect him to get a healthy offer (as per any great player traded in) but not what he would have in 2016. Just my 2c.

We've gone down the 'saviour' route a little bit of late, hopefully it's no longer part of our arsenal. Much prefer well directed approaches for specific player types in the middle tier salary rungs.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I believe his contract extension at GWS may be officially announced this week, maybe even today.

Screenshot_2019-02-27-08-11-46_1.jpg

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I believe his contract extension at GWS may be officially announced this week, maybe even today.

Hope so. Really do.

Hopefully the days of club staff looking for star players at the end of rainbows is over. While I applaud the club's boldness to an extent clearly we have spent energy chasing the wrong targets most of the time.

Anyway If I never see another gif and premature boasting about some star player being supposedly signed and sealed to North it'll be too soon.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm having trouble remembering where i read it but it was either Triple M or one of the other hundred Footy related insta's i follow. But the news was up for about 2 hours this morning and now disappeared. I regret not taking a screenshot.
Maybe they made a mistake or they've been asked to wait for the official announcement?

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I'm not that fussed if he arrives at Arden Street as a FA in 2021.
Hopefully we'll have no cap room available if he comes knocking to scratch his premiership itch.

The door is always open for good players, but I certainly hope we aren't keeping cash available in the off chance he does grace us with his presence.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Hopefully we'll have no cap room available if he comes knocking to scratch his premiership itch.

The door is always open for good players, but I certainly hope we aren't keeping cash available in the off chance he does grace us with his presence.

If he could get to North without all the bullshit then he would have been here two years ago. In fact, if he had his way he would have started his career at North. It's a complicated issue that goes beyond Josh's wishes. GWS are putting unbelievable pressure on him, he has an agent who is only interested in their own self interest, and the AFL has assembled all of it's media floozy's to stabilize their investment.

Now, try to remember when you had just turned 24, and put yourself in his shoes.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
If he could get to North without all the bullshit then he would have been here two years ago. In fact, if he had his way he would have started his career at North. It's a complicated issue that goes beyond Josh's wishes. GWS are putting unbelievable pressure on him, he has an agent who is only interested in their own self interest, and the AFL has assembled all of it's media floozy's to stabilize their investment.

Now, try to remember when you had just turned 24, and put yourself in his shoes.
He's a big boy mate. If he really wants to play with us, he'll come.

I'm not shutting the door on him by any means. If the planets align when he's available next, then great.

Hopefully, the scenario is that we're coming off back to back flags, the McGiants have missed finals for 2 years, and we're too busy handing out contract extensions to superstars like LDU, Ahern and Simpkin so we can't afford him.

He can then sign a 10 year mega contract at St Kilda.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Wayne Carey was captain of a club in merger turmoil at 25. Josh is old enough now to be discussed for his footballing decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back