Training 2019 preseason discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hibberd lands on the wrong foot and does an ACL. Troy Chaplin becomes even more popular on MFC Bigfooty
He'll be fine, got a WWE career in the making now

Can we unlock the Hogan thread? I think we all miss the never ending circular debates

Should help fill the void until football

Can we unlock the Hogan thread? I think we all miss the never ending circular debates

Should help fill the void until football

Personally I'm sick of the bloke. He played 71 games for us. 71!
He's gonna play 150 odd for Freo, hopefully the obsession with him dies out

Matthew Bate 102 games
Jordie McKenzie 79 games
Nathan Carroll 71 Games
Matt Jones 61 games
Paul Johnson 68 games
Cale Morton 73 games
Rohan Bail 71 games

That's the company he sits in.
* the campaigner

Matthew Bate 102 games
Jordie McKenzie 79 games
Nathan Carroll 71 Games
Matt Jones 61 games
Paul Johnson 68 games
Cale Morton 73 games
Rohan Bail 71 games

**** the campaigner

Yes I think we share the same view of him, but nonetheless he did bring a great deal of passion to this board - there's no denying it.

It can't be just swimming and **** all the time TK

Matthew Bate 102 games
Jordie McKenzie 79 games
Nathan Carroll 71 Games
Matt Jones 61 games
Paul Johnson 68 games
Cale Morton 73 games
Rohan Bail 71 games

**** the campaigner
There's something that seperates him from all those blokes though.

Yes I think we share the same view of him, but nonetheless he did bring a great deal of passion to this board - there's no denying it.

It can't be just swimming and **** all the time TK

Jack Watts dislikes this

Matthew Bate 102 games
Jordie McKenzie 79 games
Nathan Carroll 71 Games
Matt Jones 61 games
Paul Johnson 68 games
Cale Morton 73 games
Rohan Bail 71 games

**** the campaigner

Bail played 71 games? Man we were an average footy side.

SEN put up a poll on Facebook asking fans to vote who will be the better player at the end of 2019, TMac or Hogan. Last I saw, TMac had 2/3 of the vote. I doubt there's that many bias Melbourne supporters in the world so it seems the rest of the footy community don't really rate the sook either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hogan is a very good player no denying it, but has flaws in his game (Mainly his aerial work) that I’m not sure he will ever fix.
Yeah, after rewatching the majority of his games from last season, what really stood out, and probably reaffirmed my frustrations when he was still a Melbourne player, that while he is a very good player, he's only a so so forward. It'll be really interesting to see how he goes at Freo, as I don't think too many of his 40-something goals last year came from any particular good forward craft of his own, rather than just being on the end of some good team work further up the ground, and I'm not sure how much of that he's going to get at Freo.

Also, it must be said, all these pictures popping up of him on various websites with an atrociously arrogant smirk on it, has really highlighted how much of a punchable face he has.

Yeah, after rewatching the majority of his games from last season, what really stood out, and probably reaffirmed my frustrations when he was still a Melbourne player, that while he is a very good player, he's only a so so forward. It'll be really interesting to see how he goes at Freo, as I don't think too many of his 40-something goals last year came from any particular good forward craft of his own, rather than just being on the end of some good team work further up the ground, and I'm not sure how much of that he's going to get at Freo.

Also, it must be said, all these pictures popping up of him on various websites with an atrociously arrogant smirk on it, has really highlighted how much of a punchable face he has.

His agility and ground ball stuff is elite for a big man but he very rarely takes the ball at its highest point like Tmac and Weid do. He also has an obsession with wrestling when he isn’t that strong 1on1.

His agility and ground ball stuff is elite for a big man but he very rarely takes the ball at its highest point like Tmac and Weid do. He also has an obsession with wrestling when he isn’t that strong 1on1.
Yeah exactly, big tank, agile, good below his knees, very good field kick, and a good footy IQ ... it looks great coming from a guy playing as a KPF, but that work could just as easily be done by another midfielder without leaving you short a target inside 50.

My biggest knock on him is that he was a MUCH better forward in his first season than he has been since. He used to lead at the ball carrier, run and jump at the footy and crash packs to bring the ball to ground, where he'd pop up and have a second and third effort to win the ball. Since then, his first instinct is to look for body contact to try and win a free kick, which if he doesn't he stops and complains rather than making another effort, and he always wants the ball over his head to beat his man under the flight, and run into an open goal. In other words, he wants easy goals, and I'm not sure if he's watched Freo play much the last decade or so, but goals have seldom come easy!

Yeah exactly, big tank, agile, good below his knees, very good field kick, and a good footy IQ ... it looks great coming from a guy playing as a KPF, but that work could just as easily be done by another midfielder without leaving you short a target inside 50.

My biggest knock on him is that he was a MUCH better forward in his first season than he has been since. He used to lead at the ball carrier, run and jump at the footy and crash packs to bring the ball to ground, where he'd pop up and have a second and third effort to win the ball. Since then, his first instinct is to look for body contact to try and win a free kick, which if he doesn't he stops and complains rather than making another effort, and he always wants the ball over his head to beat his man under the flight, and run into an open goal. In other words, he wants easy goals, and I'm not sure if he's watched Freo play much the last decade or so, but goals have seldom come easy!
yeah agree. you saved me the trouble, I was about to write the same thing.

while he is a very good player, he's only a so so forward.

I only know the man from his 2018 play, and this gets to the heart of it for me. It didn’t even seem like he was playing as a forward much of the time. Maybe it’s what Goodwin asked of him? Maybe I don’t understand the game enough?? But he took the majority of his marks between 50-60m from goal. And his disposals from that point weren’t special. I’d rather have Melksham taking those marks.

Thankyou for doing this. People would have heard this enough from me but totally agree.
Who gives a stuff if he averages 20 disposals. He wasn't taking huge marks linking the play on the wing like Nick Riewoldt he was getting handballs being tackled in the midfield which any average mid could do.

I honestly believe if you reviewed his season 50% atleast of his goals were just from getting in behind on the end of a brilliant kick and not because he's a good forward. Tom Bugg goals if you will

I've been saying it for 3 years now and I'll always maintain that our forward 6 worked better without him. He was an inefficient forward.

He was a better AFL forward in his first AFL season

I only know the man from his 2018 play, and this gets to the heart of it for me. It didn’t even seem like he was playing as a forward much of the time. Maybe it’s what Goodwin asked of him? Maybe I don’t understand the game enough?? But he took the majority of his marks between 50-60m from goal. And his disposals from that point weren’t special. I’d rather have Melksham taking those marks.
funny enough Goodwin moves Melksham to Full Forward for a quarter or so every now and then, and you'd struggle to find the difference in how they play the role except that Melk keeps competing and generally looks more dangerous. that tells you all you need to know. a bloke 4 inches shorter and nearly 20kgs lighter can play the same way as Jesse the big key forward.

I think it's more about playing to his strengths ... in that being a key forward isn't, so give him licence to get up the ground.

You'd probably have needed to be at the games in question to know for sure, but I do wonder if the really quiet games he had over the last few years, were because he was playing deeper as a forward, rather than being given licence to get up the ground.

Thankyou for doing this. People would have heard this enough from me but totally agree.
Who gives a stuff if he averages 20 disposals. He wasn't taking huge marks linking the play on the wing like Nick Riewoldt he was getting handballs being tackled in the midfield which any average mid could do.

I honestly believe if you reviewed his season 50% atleast of his goals were just from getting in behind on the end of a brilliant kick and not because he's a good forward. Tom Bugg goals if you will

I've been saying it for 3 years now and I'll always maintain that our forward 6 worked better without him. He was an inefficient forward.

He was a better AFL forward in his first AFL season

He kicked bags against undermanned defenses as well which inflated his stats. He is good enough to beat a C grade defender 100% of the time and this was the case when we played lower rank teams. There was a couple of times when T Mac was dangerous early and Hogan had the 2nd best defender in the 2nd half. In this case he out muscles and wins free kicks. Against the good sides 90% of his goals were 'Tom Bugg goals' as you call them.

He will be the number 1 forward every time he is inside 50 for Freo, therefore, will take the number 1 defender.

Weids game against Geelong in the finals was a better KPF game than Hogan played all year.

Matthew Bate 102 games
Jordie McKenzie 79 games
Nathan Carroll 71 Games
Matt Jones 61 games
Paul Johnson 68 games
Cale Morton 73 games
Rohan Bail 71 games

**** the campaigner
I disagree with you as usual, given Hogan was so important to us for a few years, but liked anyway for the needlessly hilarious "* the campaigner". 5 stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back