Port Adelaide
B: Houston Jonas Lienert
HB: Hartlett Howard Burton
C: Westhoff Wines Motlop
HF: Boak Marshall Rockliff
F: Ebert Dixon Ryder

R: Lycett SPP R Gray

INT: Duursma Rozee Bonner Drew

For me that’s a poor forward line that worries me. The smalls are not damaging at all. They are just three inside mids that have questionable disposal and are all slow.

I’m ok with trialling Ebo there as he runs all day, great over head and generally a good set shot. The other two need to be genuinely dangerous forward options, with great disposal and pace.

Boak and Rockliff are mids and should play there, be it AFL or SANFL.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
boak rockliff & ebert are most at risk of getting dropped i think, i would only have 2 of them playing in my team at any 1 time, only 1 of leinart & clurey should play as well, broady, hartlett & houston are most probably contesting for 2 spots

klem22

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2008
mt gambier
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is Rockliff really a lock - FWIW I think he is awfull slow and just doesn't bustle his way in there enough. I think a team with he and boak in it just doesn't fly, and for me Boak over rocky any day. Rocky to come in if Boak is out of form or needs a rest.

SPP, Wines, Boak, Rockliff, Hartlett, Ebert - Not a lot of speed there if you aksin me.

What i have seen of Rockliff does not move me at all. Big mistake getting him and Watts to this club they deliver very little imo.
Selection process is going to keep hinkley right under the pumpit will be the basis of his continued demise if he dosent pull something out of the bag and see it through to delivery.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What i have seen of Rockliff does not move me at all. Big mistake getting him and Watts to this club they deliver very little imo.
Selection process is going to keep hinkley right under the pumpit will be the basis of his continued demise if he dosent pull something out of the bag and see it through to delivery.

Not really, we had the money and had to use it or it disappears. We still have one of the best salary caps in the game (heaps of space)

It’s only a problem if Hinkley picks him every big becouse he was a free agent not form.

David Puddy

All Australian
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not really, we had the money and had to use it or it disappears. We still have one of the best salary caps in the game (heaps of space)

It’s only a problem if Hinkley picks him every big becouse he was a free agent not form.

Think Rocky is being unfairly slammed across this board.

He came off an interrupted pre-season into a brand new club. Combine this with his low TOG % and also the fact that Ken has no idea what he's doing and plonked him in the forward line week upon week. I thought he had some great games, particularly from the Showdown win onwards.

Give him a chance, you sad campaigners..

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Think Rocky is being unfairly slammed across this board.

He came off an interrupted pre-season into a brand new club. Combine this with his low TOG % and also the fact that Ken has no idea what he's doing and plonked him in the forward line week upon week. I thought he had some great games, particularly from the Showdown win onwards.

Give him a chance, you sad campaigners..

I don’t disagree, keen to see how he goes this year.

Do think he may struggle to keep his spot though with how Drew has looked, albeit an internal trial and “U23” starch match.

But he’s not alone, I have Boak in the same boat.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Sorry to intrude folks. Filtering through each club's best 22's, not just for round 1, and giving my thoughts as well.

Feedback is appreciated.

FULL BACK: DBJ ~ Clurey ~ Jonas
HALF BACK: Burton ~ Howard ~ Houston/ Hartlett

WINGS: Durrsma ~ Motlop
CENTRE: Wines

HALF FWD: S. Gray ~ Westhoff ~ Ebert
FULL FWD: R. Gray ~ Dixon ~ Ryder

RUCK: Lycett
FOLLOWERS: SPP ~ Boak

INTERCHANGE: Rockliff ~ Rozee ~ Bonner ~ Houston/ Hartlett

1ST STRING (No particular order) Broadbent ~ McKenzie ~ Marshall ~ Amon ~ Butters ~ Trengove ~ Watts ~ Farrell Garner ~ Drew ~ Atley ~ Johnson ~ Mayes ~ Patmore ~ Lienert

2ND STRING (No particular order) Frampton ~ Hayes ~ Woodcock ~ Grundy ~ Hewett ~ Cox ~ Frederick ~ Pudney

2nd stringers are basically new draftees and rookie listed players to invest time into along with in experienced rucks like Frampton and Hayes.

1st stringers are guys who have had a taste for it but are behind more experienced players or on the other hand players like Broadbent and Trengove who may be left aside as depth by lesser experienced but exciting youth.

Mayes has the talent and experience to replace someone like Polec as an outside mid but should be starting from a similar base to Rozee, Durrsma and Bonner in terms of selection.

Same goes for Watts and even I've got him as best 22 Motlop (for his in- out midfield balance, class and x-factor).

On talent and experience they have the credits to replace Rozee, Durrsma and Bonner to name a few but in the case of Watts I'm not sure that's the right way to go or the right message to send.

Natural development will hopefully see first to third and fourth year year players with a bit of x factor put some pressure on the likes of Ebert and maybe even the erratic Motlop. Not all necessarily like for like replacements but hopefully they get a good crack at it in 2019 and start the pushing their names into that best 22 group for the turn of the decade.

Have at it folks.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
rocky still has a few brownie points left for me, i think he was way underdone last year and was trying too hard, id still give him 5 or 6 games to prve his worth, but if its only a mediocre effect then by all means i'd be happy to drop him

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sorry to intrude folks. Filtering through each club's best 22's, not just for round 1, and giving my thoughts as well.

Feedback is appreciated.

FULL BACK: DBJ ~ Clurey ~ Jonas
HALF BACK: Burton ~ Howard ~ Houston/ Hartlett

WINGS: Durrsma ~ Motlop
CENTRE: Wines

HALF FWD: S. Gray ~ Westhoff ~ Ebert
FULL FWD: R. Gray ~ Dixon ~ Ryder

RUCK: Lycett
FOLLOWERS: SPP ~ Boak

INTERCHANGE: Rockliff ~ Rozee ~ Bonner ~ Houston/ Hartlett

1ST STRING (No particular order) Broadbent ~ McKenzie ~ Marshall ~ Amon ~ Butters ~ Trengove ~ Watts ~ Farrell Garner ~ Drew ~ Atley ~ Johnson ~ Mayes ~ Patmore ~ Lienert

2ND STRING (No particular order) Frampton ~ Hayes ~ Woodcock ~ Grundy ~ Hewett ~ Cox ~ Frederick ~ Pudney

2nd stringers are basically new draftees and rookie listed players to invest time into along with in experienced rucks like Frampton and Hayes.

1st stringers are guys who have had a taste for it but are behind more experienced players or on the other hand players like Broadbent and Trengove who may be left aside as depth by lesser experienced but exciting youth.

Mayes has the talent and experience to replace someone like Polec as an outside mid but should be starting from a similar base to Rozee, Durrsma and Bonner in terms of selection.

Same goes for Watts and even I've got him as best 22 Motlop (for his in- out midfield balance, class and x-factor).

On talent and experience they have the credits to replace Rozee, Durrsma and Bonner to name a few but in the case of Watts I'm not sure that's the right way to go or the right message to send.

Natural development will hopefully see first to third and fourth year year players with a bit of x factor put some pressure on the likes of Ebert and maybe even the erratic Motlop. Not all necessarily like for like replacements but hopefully they get a good crack at it in 2019 and start the pushing their names into that best 22 group for the turn of the decade.

Have at it folks.
Marshall absolutely plays and Sam Gray absolutely does not.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Marshall absolutely plays and Sam Gray absolutely does not.

Appreciate the feedback LP.

Not really a direct like for like but it’s workable.

Would Westhoff need to play more as a wingman for that to happen?

Hoff, Marshall, Dixon and possibly a resting ruck is a bit talls heavy though Hoff and Marshall do cover the ground well enough.

Hoff, Marshall, Dixon and possibly a resting ruck is a bit talls heavy though Hoff and Marshall do cover the ground well enough.
Yeah Hoff roams around the ground, Marshall also is an athletic player.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ye

yeah Hoff will play up the ground and rest forward when he needs. Marshall is elite below the knees for a player of his size and he’s the future of the side so he needs to play.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Westhoff plays his best footy up on the wing.

Dixon, Ryder and Marshall is tall but Marshalls ability when the ball hits the ground is freakish and his pace is elite so doesn't make us top heavy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Sounds like Dixon, Wines and Hartlett wont play round 1.... maybe Dixon

B: DBJ - Clurey - Jonas
HB: Burton - D.Howard - Houston
C: W.Drew - Rockliff - Bonner
HF: Motlop - Westhoff - Ebert
FF: R.Gray - T.Marshall - Ryder
RR: Lycett - SPP - Boak

Bench: Brodabent (D), Sam Gray (F), Rozee (All Rounder), Duursma/Mayes/Watts (All Rounder)

With dixon id expect you to play a bit taller and replace a small out probably Duursma/Mayes/Watts

If Hartlett plays then id expect on top of that a W.Drew or Broadbent to miss.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this was my team id be playing my 4 onballers as Rocky, SPP, Ebert and Boak (Wines Inj), Westhoff on a Wing. Play Watts if Dixon doesnt get up to help Marshall and Ryder as key fwds.

Rozee played his best football on a wing/HBF.... you have an abundance of HBFs and id place him and Bonner on wings to showcase speed and help out onball divisions lack of speed

Motlop has to play half forward role. R.Gray majority deep forward and Sam Gray has to play due to lack of small forwards and allowing Robbie to go onball if required. I cant see how Robbie can go onball if no Sam Gray or other genuine small forward.

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sounds like Dixon, Wines and Hartlett wont play round 1.... maybe Dixon

B: DBJ - Clurey - Jonas
HB: Burton - D.Howard - Houston
C: W.Drew - Rockliff - Bonner
HF: Motlop - Westhoff - Ebert
FF: R.Gray - T.Marshall - Ryder
RR: Lycett - SPP - Boak

Bench: Brodabent (D), Sam Gray (F), Rozee (All Rounder), Duursma/Mayes/Watts (All Rounder)

With dixon id expect you to play a bit taller and replace a small out probably Duursma/Mayes/Watts

If Hartlett plays then id expect on top of that a W.Drew or Broadbent to miss.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this was my team id be playing my 4 onballers as Rocky, SPP, Ebert and Boak (Wines Inj), Westhoff on a Wing. Play Watts if Dixon doesnt get up to help Marshall and Ryder as key fwds.

Rozee played his best football on a wing/HBF.... you have an abundance of HBFs and id place him and Bonner on wings to showcase speed and help out onball divisions lack of speed

Motlop has to play half forward role. R.Gray majority deep forward and Sam Gray has to play due to lack of small forwards and allowing Robbie to go onball if required. I cant see how Robbie can go onball if no Sam Gray or other genuine small forward.
I like this. Broadbent for Hartlett until he returns. But i am willing to roll dice on Butters over Sam Gray

Im not sure that Drew is a wingman!
At SANFL level I've seen him play at half back, wing and also go forward and snap a few goals in crowded areas.

Now he's a bigger body than 2 years ago I reckon he'll be in the middle as a rover and have the odd stint up forward.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
At SANFL level I've seen him play at half back, wing and also go forward and snap a few goals in crowded areas.
Now he's a bigger body than 2 years ago I reckon he'll be in the middle as a rover and have the odd stint up forward.
He played mainly in the midfield Saturday and went very well. Jarrad Schofield has been working with him and it shows.
In an article on Port Adelaide Site he said ,,
“There’s a lot of great midfielders at the club so I suppose you sort of have to be (aggressive) in a way and show it in your performances and training and keep backing it up, not slowing down at all."

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

That was the plan, the club said they used him more outside early on with the view of him being a big bodied inside mid when he developed

This time of year I’m always keen to see how the kids go. But this year I’m almost more interested to see how one of more experienced players goes in his new role - Brad Ebert.

Hope he can become that player that can kick a couple of goals a game, apply heaps of forward pressure and help out the defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back