afl canberra 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon ANU and ADFA would probably give Woden a shake in the 4s.

Would think Coota and Cooma would play off for the regional grade flag, though who knows what kind of QBN side will emerge...

I do wonder if Eastlake/Belco, both coming off a tough season in 3s, would be keen for the travel...
Anu did beat them in the finals so it would be a good contest but I think they would still be filthy about that result. Coota, Cooma and Yass would probably be top 3 in regionals and agree about QBN they could be anything.

Gday Guys, just after some information on playing state league in the ACT.
Ive recently moved up to Canberra for work and will be here for the next few years 2 weeks on 2 weeks off so I’m looking for somewhere to have a kick.
Ive played in the TSL as well as the NTFL and they were pretty much 3 nights training a week with recovery on Sunday.
Is it like this in the ACT or more relaxed ?
It’s a fair bit confusing looking from the outside in with the different divisions.
I’m currently living in Franklin.
Any help would be much appreciated, Cheers.

Gday Guys, just after some information on playing state league in the ACT.
Ive recently moved up to Canberra for work and will be here for the next few years 2 weeks on 2 weeks off so I’m looking for somewhere to have a kick.
Ive played in the TSL as well as the NTFL and they were pretty much 3 nights training a week with recovery on Sunday.
Is it like this in the ACT or more relaxed ?
It’s a fair bit confusing looking from the outside in with the different divisions.
I’m currently living in Franklin.
Any help would be much appreciated, Cheers.
Hey mate welcome to the region.

The highest level of football we have here is a team in the NEAFL called the Canberra Demons. In that team you will play against Goldcoast, Brisbane, and Sydney reserve teams. Trials can be found on the AFL Canberra website I believe.

After that you would be looking at playing in the local comps and with you living out that way your best bets would be Ainslie, Gunghaling Jets or the Belconnen Magpies if you are looking to play in grades 1 and 2's.

If you are looking for more of a relaxed and casual time Belconnen have a 3's team and Ainslie also have teams in 3, and 4's.

Hope this helps.

Just how relaxed and casual are we talking? I'm tempted to give it a go next season but as a 30 year old with a dodgy hamstring and worn out knees I'm not going to be setting any speed or agility records.

Pretty casual in the 3s & 4s down at Ainslie mate. We train twice a week, but understand that life comes first and that some people can't do that. Also have access to all the medical staff etc that the senior grades use, so that's always handy when the body is banged up.

The seniors are currently doing open training sessions (all grades, u/15 up and the women's welcome) on Tuesdays and Thursdays until the 13th, then will break for Xmas. The 3s and 4s will get into their own training sessions from the end of January. More than welcome to get in touch with our GM Simon Holt (details on the website) and he'll point you in the right direction :thumbsu:

Pretty casual in the 3s & 4s down at Ainslie mate. We train twice a week, but understand that life comes first and that some people can't do that. Also have access to all the medical staff etc that the senior grades use, so that's always handy when the body is banged up.

The seniors are currently doing open training sessions (all grades, u/15 up and the women's welcome) on Tuesdays and Thursdays until the 13th, then will break for Xmas. The 3s and 4s will get into their own training sessions from the end of January. More than welcome to get in touch with our GM Simon Holt (details on the website) and he'll point you in the right direction :thumbsu:
That sounds good, I might head down to have a look in Jan when I'm back in town.

Happy new year , are we going to see the new format introduced this season after all ?
Div 3
Ainslie
Adfa
Anu
Woden
Googong
Batemans bay
Molonglo

Div 4
Ainslie
Adfa
Anu
Woden
Googong
Batemans bay
Molonglo

Div 3 Regional
Coota
Cooma
Yass
Goulburn
Murrumbateman
Belconnen
Queanbeyan
Tuggeranong
Eastlake

I apologize if I've missed anyone .This gives the two team clubs the game day experience and the one team clubs there own separated comp. I'm not to sure what happens to the one team clubs that have woman's teams . Just putting it out there to see what others have heard .

Not sure where they are going to rustle up the bodies for not one but two new teams, especially with more than a couple of forfeits last season.
Not a bad setup though, 7 teams is just enough for a half decent comp in my opinion. Should just be a top 3 with a 2 week finals series though.

EDIT: I'd still only play each team twice too (so a 12 round season) and have an extended break in the middle (ANU would like this as well I assume).

Happy new year , are we going to see the new format introduced this season after all ?
Div 3
Ainslie
Adfa
Anu
Woden
Googong
Batemans bay
Molonglo

Div 4
Ainslie
Adfa
Anu
Woden
Googong
Batemans bay
Molonglo

Div 3 Regional
Coota
Cooma
Yass
Goulburn
Murrumbateman
Belconnen
Queanbeyan
Tuggeranong
Eastlake

I apologize if I've missed anyone .This gives the two team clubs the game day experience and the one team clubs there own separated comp. I'm not to sure what happens to the one team clubs that have woman's teams . Just putting it out there to see what others have heard .

Going to be quite a few thrashings in this new Div 5...based on 2018 results. Interesting to see Tuggeranong mention, they couldn’t field a reserves last season, now aiming for a 3rd team.

I like the look of the structure though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think players are paid anywhere outside professional leagues for reserves games, wins or not.
In Canberra only Div 1 players are paid (country teams in lower division may differ), but there is a salary cap this season.

It would be mice to even know what format the comp will be . Still fully believe that the one team clubs will be in regional grade

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That was the last I had heard pre-Xmas Southcab, but when Thomas Walker left AFL Canberra at the end of the year he had yet to finalise the draft draw that was mooted with the 3 grades mens set-up (Threes, fours & Regional/one-team). Haven't heard diddly since then though, so they could still be working towards that model, or they could have decided it was all too hard and just gone back to last years model. We're in the dark as usual.

So??: Div3/4
ANU
ADFA
Molongolo
Woden
Googong
Ainslie
Batemans

Regional??:
Cooma
Yass
Murrumbateman
Cootamundra
Quenbyean
Goulburn
Belco (eastlake?)

Would be cool to see a "super bowl" between premiers of regional and community. Do you think they should play Div 3 or Div 4?

I reckon the Regional premiers would struggle against the Div 3 premiers...the depth of Div 3 teams usually beats the top-end talent of the country sides, as we've seen when teams have come up previously.

But a "rep" team of the best Regional players versus the best Div 3 players would be very interesting indeed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back