England tour of the West Indies 2019 (3 Tests, 5 ODIs and 3 T20s)

Remove this Banner Ad

The 149 was at the Wanderers just before the world cup v West Indies and he just attacked the absolute s**t out of the short boundary. He was taking the piss. I was then at the 64-ball 150 against the West Indies at the world cup and it was the most astonishing hitting I have ever seen live.
that was the day he score his ton off 30 odd balls wasn't it?

that was easily one of the most insane innings I've ever seen

Why?

Two absolutely destructive as hell
Batsmen who’ve spent their career being destructive as hell had big days out.

It was amazing to watch such power

Mainly because there is no contest between bat and ball. Just a dead, flat pitch that offers absolutely nothing to the bowlers, they may as well roll out a bowling machine.

Mainly because there is no contest between bat and ball. Just a dead, flat pitch that offers absolutely nothing to the bowlers, they may as well roll out a bowling machine.

If they may as well have rolled out a bowling machine, Rashid wouldn’t have been spinning the ball both ways (in between getting hit out of the ground by Gayle), Wood wouldn’t have been shortening up everyone he bowled to, and England wouldn’t have been looking far more likely to hit 330 than 420 up until the last 8 overs of the innings. Not every high scoring match is high scoring because of the conditions and the conditions alone.

I have long been a critic of flat pitches and run-fests, but I have felt this series has been tremendous to watch. As noted, there's been some bloody good bowling on display too - Plunkett and Wood were especially impressive this morning, but it's just been that Buttler, Gayle and Morgan have been in beast mode.

If they may as well have rolled out a bowling machine, Rashid wouldn’t have been spinning the ball both ways (in between getting hit out of the ground by Gayle), Wood wouldn’t have been shortening up everyone he bowled to, and England wouldn’t have been looking far more likely to hit 330 than 420 up until the last 8 overs of the innings. Not every high scoring match is high scoring because of the conditions and the conditions alone.

I watched it. Rashid got smacked around by Gayle, Braithwaite and even Nurse took to him. Only one bowler (Plunkett went for less than 6 / over). This is not my kind of ODI and part of the reason I’m losing interest in watching them. If this is what the World Cup is going to serve up count me out. Just my opinion, not everyone is going to agree and that’s fine.

Wood's 10-0-60-4 was phenomenal, and Plunkett only went for 40 off 8.

I watched it. Rashid got smacked around by Gayle, Braithwaite and even Nurse took to him. Only one bowler (Plunkett went for less than 6 / over). This is not my kind of ODI and part of the reason I’m losing interest in watching them. If this is what the World Cup is going to serve up count me out. Just my opinion, not everyone is going to agree and that’s fine.

‘Even nurse.’

A) Ashley Nurse has a first class century and was a crucial part of the West Indies highest ever successful chase when he bashed 30-odd off 13.
B) Nurse took rashid for 17 runs.... off 18 balls. The only two boundaries were regulation cut shots from deliveries dropped a bit short. In those 18 deliveries he dismissed him, and had him dropped
C) Brathwaite, for all his under-achievement, hit half-centuries in each of his first two tests, against Lyon, Pattinson, Hazlewood and Siddle. He’s only ever played 3 tests and he’s hit a half-century in each of them. The third was against India. The guy can properly play.

If this happened every game, absolutely it would be rubbish and it would be proof that all conditions were getting easier.
For now I don’t see why this particular game belongs anywhere other than the same sphere as the 438 game. One team had a picnic and the other side had no choice but to swing, and for the most part, it worked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘Even nurse.’

A) Ashley Nurse has a first class century and was a crucial part of the West Indies highest ever successful chase when he bashed 30-odd off 13.
B) Nurse took rashid for 17 runs.... off 18 balls. The only two boundaries were regulation cut shots from deliveries dropped a bit short. In those 18 deliveries he dismissed him, and had him dropped
C) Brathwaite, for all his under-achievement, hit half-centuries in each of his first two tests, against Lyon, Pattinson, Hazlewood and Siddle. He’s only ever played 3 tests and he’s hit a half-century in each of them. The third was against India. The guy can properly play.

If this happened every game, absolutely it would be rubbish and it would be proof that all conditions were getting easier.
For now I don’t see why this particular game belongs anywhere other than the same sphere as the 438 game. One team had a picnic and the other side had no choice but to swing, and for the most part, it worked.

You might want to get off your high horse for just a second and re-read my comment. You suggested Rashid was bowling well outside of getting smacked out of the park by Gayle. I suggested Braithwaite, and to a lesser extent Nurse (hence the use of "even") also smacked him around. The word "even" had nothing to do with my assessment of his batting ability; I am well aware that both Braithwaite and Nurse can handle a bat. End of the day I have my opinion on the game and you have yours.

Last edited:
Gayle is actually a pretty interesting case because unlike a lot of renowned fast scorers and big hitters, he’s not an eye player at all, compared to say, a Maxwell or a Sharma.

His test career was built on a fairly straightforward and reasonably correct, albeit staccato kind of technique. Like a lot of players raised pre-T20 his run scoring and attack was built on scoring zones and knowing his strengths. T20 has eliminated a few of those strengths - he doesn’t cut a lot anymore because let’s be honest, no decent limited overs bowler ever tries to bowl wide or chest height.

He’a got the off and cover drives of the bowl there, the slog, and the lofted drives, and the pick up off his legs. Bowl there and you’re toast, bowl elsewhere and he respects it.

I actually agree with the general argument that run glut ODIs aren't as good as the tight ones where runs are hard to come by. They're more spectacular, absolutely, but as a rounded spectacle, rather less so. For example, I still consider the 1999 semi final the best ODI there's been. How many runs were scored that day? 426 for 20 wickets.

Gayle is actually a pretty interesting case because unlike a lot of renowned fast scorers and big hitters, he’s not an eye player at all, compared to say, a Maxwell or a Sharma.

His test career was built on a fairly straightforward and reasonably correct, albeit staccato kind of technique. Like a lot of players raised pre-T20 his run scoring and attack was built on scoring zones and knowing his strengths. T20 has eliminated a few of those strengths - he doesn’t cut a lot anymore because let’s be honest, no decent limited overs bowler ever tries to bowl wide or chest height.

He’a got the off and cover drives of the bowl there, the slog, and the lofted drives, and the pick up off his legs. Bowl there and you’re toast, bowl elsewhere and he respects it.
It's long gone now, but I think it's a shame his Test career is over now; he'd still command a spot if he wanted it. For all his renown as a short form basher, an average of 42.18 in 103 Tests is nothing to sneeze; it's a very similar record to Desmond Haynes for comparison, or Michael Slater for another.

I actually agree with the general argument that run glut ODIs aren't as good as the tight ones where runs are hard to come by. They're more spectacular, absolutely, but as a rounded spectacle, rather less so. For example, I still consider the 1999 semi final the best ODI there's been. How many runs were scored that day? 426 for 20 wickets.

It's long gone now, but I think it's a shame his Test career is over now; he'd still command a spot if he wanted it. For all his renown as a short form basher, an average of 42.18 in 103 Tests is nothing to sneeze; it's a very similar record to Desmond Haynes for comparison, or Michael Slater for another.

Absolutely, the guy was quality. He left at least 7-8 centuries out there. In the thread about best visiting centuries in Australia I rated his hundreds at Adelaide - to save the match - and Perth, where he just went berserk in a way none of the Aussie bowlers had really seen before, right up there near the top of the list. Basically he’s a guy who understands his own game perfectly and it’s why he’s succeeded in all three formats.

Hopefully in a few weeks when the WICB representatives have to vote between Cameron and Skerrit, they think about all the cricket Gayle could have been playing in the maroon cap but never did, largely because of the low breed running the show

Liking the Windies development of a bowling group for the World Cup. Thomas and Cottterll are a must. Did not mind the left arm swinger I saw in the Test match. He could be handy in English conditions. Enough there to have as much hope in World Cup as 5 or 6 other nations. If England and Australia keep batting Bairstow and Finch in top order early wickers lost going to be the norm for both sides.

Squads due April 23. Bring it on. Got a great World Cup to look forward to with Windies relevant again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back