Training 2019 preseason discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The last 5 games he missed and the way we played and scored give me confidence. But Hogan will not be easily replaced.
Sure he's a quality player but it should be noted In the past past four seasons our biggest wins were against Geelong at KP (2015), Hawthorn at MCG (2016), Adelaide at AO (2017), West Coast at PS (2017) & West Coast at OS (2018) & the two finals. All these victories had one thing in common; No Hogan.

Bloody hell, after the last three pages I’m sure the last thing anyone wants to read is another post about Hogan, but I’m gonna put in my two cents anyway:

As a player, he has strengths and he has flaws. And for the last two seasons at least he has been leaning on his strengths and hasn’t been working on his flaws. I think this has rightly been identified by a lot of posters. He is also a prodigious talent. I still reckon it was right for him to win the rising star in front of Cripps three years ago. But his heart hasn’t been in it at Melbourne, at least since Goodwin took over as coach. His reasons for this would be complex, since he’s had a lot of s**t going on in his life so I don’t really blame him for that. In a lot of ways it’s unfortunate and sad, and I’d be really salty about him leaving except that we have a great team now and I’m confident we can cover him.

Anyone who talks him down too much should think about how absolutely s**t we were as a team at the end of 2014 (lost what? 10 in a row?) and how he played in 2015 in his first season. He helped lift this club back up with his efforts in that season alone. I can live with him going to Freo because I don’t believe they will have a better team than us at any stage throughout the remainder of his career. But if we play them in a final, I would still fear him as a player because I honestly think he’s capable of doing a Kouta ‘99 job and single handedly taking down a superior team in a big final.

For those with Kayo sports, they've currently got the full game replays up of our GWS game leading into our two finals wins over the pussies and dawks. A better trilogy you will not see. they've got the pre finals west coast win as well if you want to go the full fourtet but I'm apprehensive - a man can only get so erect.

Bloody hell, after the last three pages I’m sure the last thing anyone wants to read is another post about Hogan, but I’m gonna put in my two cents anyway:

As a player, he has strengths and he has flaws. And for the last two seasons at least he has been leaning on his strengths and hasn’t been working on his flaws. I think this has rightly been identified by a lot of posters. He is also a prodigious talent. I still reckon it was right for him to win the rising star in front of Cripps three years ago. But his heart hasn’t been in it at Melbourne, at least since Goodwin took over as coach. His reasons for this would be complex, since he’s had a lot of s**t going on in his life so I don’t really blame him for that. In a lot of ways it’s unfortunate and sad, and I’d be really salty about him leaving except that we have a great team now and I’m confident we can cover him.

Anyone who talks him down too much should think about how absolutely s**t we were as a team at the end of 2014 (lost what? 10 in a row?) and how he played in 2015 in his first season. He helped lift this club back up with his efforts in that season alone. I can live with him going to Freo because I don’t believe they will have a better team than us at any stage throughout the remainder of his career. But if we play them in a final, I would still fear him as a player because I honestly think he’s capable of doing a Kouta ‘99 job and single handedly taking down a superior team in a big final.

Considering he's played poorly in almost all of our big games for a few seasons I'm not worried about him at all. I could name half a dozen youngish forwards far more capable than Hogan of taking a game from us.
He didn't single handedly drag us through 15, what about about Tyson, Jones, AVB etc.

For those with Kayo sports, they've currently got the full game replays up of our GWS game leading into our two finals wins over the pussies and dawks. A better trilogy you will not see. they've got the pre finals west coast win as well if you want to go the full fourtet but I'm apprehensive - a man can only get so erect.
The GWS game is the only one left in my 2018 rewatch list. I finished the second half the round 21 WCE game last night. So much passion and intent.

Considering he's played poorly in almost all of our big games for a few seasons I'm not worried about him at all. I could name half a dozen youngish forwards far more capable than Hogan of taking a game from us.
He didn't single handedly drag us through 15, what about about Tyson, Jones, AVB etc.
I didn’t mean he carried us single handedly in 2015, just his output in that season was instrumental in improving us as a team and raising the club back up. 2014 - 4 wins to 7 wins in 2015. He was a big part of that improvement. Ask a Brisbane or Carlton fan if they’d be happy with a 7 win season this year. That’s pretty much where we were when Hogan debuted in 2015. Jones and Viney were great too and Gawn started firing, but Hogan was the biggest factor in that season for mine.

Just as a side note, it’s interesting to think halfway through 2015 Hogan would have been considered miles ahead of Gawn as a player but in the three and a bit years since, Gawn has become one of the best players in the league while Hogan has plateaued, or even gone backwards. I guess that goes to show what a difference it can make when you’re invested and have your heart in what you do.

I didn’t mean he carried us single handedly in 2015, just his output in that season was instrumental in improving us as a team and raising the club back up. 2014 - 4 wins to 7 wins in 2015. He was a big part of that improvement. Ask a Brisbane or Carlton fan if they’d be happy with a 7 win season this year. That’s pretty much where we were when Hogan debuted in 2015. Jones and Viney were great too and Gawn started firing, but Hogan was the biggest factor in that season for mine.

Just as a side note, it’s interesting to think halfway through 2015 Hogan would have been considered miles ahead of Gawn as a player but in the three and a bit years since, Gawn has become one of the best players in the league while Hogan has plateaued, or even gone backwards. I guess that goes to show what a difference it can make when you’re invested and have your heart in what you do.

His 2015 was far better than his 2018 IMO. I couldn't give a stuff about his possession count he was alot more dangerous in 15 I'll agree.

Bloody hell, after the last three pages I’m sure the last thing anyone wants to read is another post about Hogan, but I’m gonna put in my two cents anyway.
This is the MFC preseason thread, what else would we discuss other than a player from another club or highlights from last year?!

So Im thinking of going to JLT2 at Casey next week.

The mrs is dragging me to Phillip Island so I figure i might duck down and catch a half or so of the game.

Do we think tix will sell out? and if so how quickly?

So Im thinking of going to JLT2 at Casey next week.

The mrs is dragging me to Phillip Island so I figure i might duck down and catch a half or so of the game.

Do we think tix will sell out? and if so how quickly?

I’d guess they will go close to selling out and if you want a decent view I’d get there reasonably early

I’d guess they will go close to selling out and if you want a decent view I’d get there reasonably early
Isn't casey pretty much just all standing?

Or is there a grand stand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a grand stand on what is the camera side, tho I’d imagine it’d be pretty difficult to get a seat in there, if it were possible at all
I just saw that you can book a seat in there but there are no reserved seats.

I'm taking my 3 year old so I might try to get a seat up there. Under 6 are free but I am assuming to cater for numbers I will have to buy him a kids ticket otherwise he will be expected to sit on my lap

so is it legit we wont see hannah til the bye?
and this quote from that MFC article worries me GREATLY too:

"..while co-captains Jack Viney and Nathan Jones should be fit to start the season"

Usually in MFC-speak that means we won't actually see them till around Round 8. Be prepared for that

and this quote from that MFC article worries me GREATLY too:

"..while co-captains Jack Viney and Nathan Jones should be fit to start the season"

Usually in MFC-speak that means we won't actually see them till around Round 8. Be prepared for that
You worry too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back