Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Logue , L Ryan , Darcy , B Cox and T Duman are all in the picture for Rd 1 this year which is pretty amazing and definitely something that's never happened at Freo before

Has anyone got any examples from other teams of something similar to this happening I.e 5 players from 1 draft all B22 at the start of year 3

Darcy is still behind Sandi but there are whispers the big fella might not be right to go early and Duman might not make Rd 1 but he just got a 3 year deal so he's definitely in the mix

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
In the 2014 ND we chose Petracca, Brayshaw, Neal-Bullen, Stretch, and Oscar McDonald.

All were in the round 1 side of 2017.

We also chose vandenBerg in the 2014 rookie draft. He was a best 22 player from the get-go, but was injured in 2017.

All 6 were best 22 by the beginning of year 3.

That said, despite being a handy player, Billy, who's chalked up 38 games, is not quite best 22 as we head into 2019.

Last edited:
In the 2014 ND we chose Petracca, Brayshaw, Neal-Bullen, Stretch, and Oscar McDonald.

All were in the round 1 side.

We also chose vandenBerg in the 2014 rookie draft. He was a best 22 player from the get-go, but was injured in 2017.

All 6 were best 22 by the beginning of year 3.

That said, despite being a handy player Billy, who's chalked up 38 games, is not quite best 22 as we head into 2019.

All 4 would have played in a winning final for you too last year which is probably a nod to their quality , hopefully our boys can do the same

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has anyone got any examples from other teams of something similar to this happening I.e 5 players from 1 draft all B22 at the start of year 3
1999 would be a good starting point.

It was a brilliant draft haul for both the Bulldogs (Murphy, Giansiracusa, Hahn, Gilbee & Hargrave with Wiggans and Bowden the misses, and we picked up Andrew Wills in the PSD).
From memory only Gilbee wasn't in the best 22 by year three for hat group of five (he almost left until Eade became coach) and Bowden was playing footy early too.

Geelong had a very good haul in 99 as well (with some misses): Corey, Chapman, Ling and Enright with Spriggs managing 64 games as well. They picked up Ezra Bray who IIRC was super talented as well but had off field issues.

Im confident Jordan Ridley will be a feature in many top 20s here within the next 2 years. Once Hurley/Hooker retire i can see him being given the "general" role for Essendon down back. He had a fantastic finals series in the VFL and looks to be building to a starting spot in the senior side for round 1.

Think a few people will look silly counting SPS out aswell.

That's just the most classic Essendon post isn't it - "this guy hasn't actually done or shown anything yet but I'm confident he'll be in everyone's lists in a year or two'

We've heard it about every draftee of the last five years I reckon

These players have only been in the system a couple of years. What would be the point of judging them purely on what they have produced thus far for this thread? Two years is not enough time to get a realistic idea of their potential (especially KPPs). I mean look at Lewis Taylor vs Bontempelli etc.
And it's not like he said 'Ridley is a gun and will be one of the BEST players in this draft' nor did he do a re-draft wth Ridley high. He simply predicted Ridley will feature in a lot of top 20's in the future. Considering Ridley was a low 20s pick, it doesn't sound like this prediction is that over the top and worth calling out.

These players have only been in the system a couple of years. What would be the point of judging them purely on what they have produced thus far for this thread? Two years is not enough time to get a realistic idea of their potential (especially KPPs). I mean look at Lewis Taylor vs Bontempelli etc.
And it's not like he said 'Ridley is a gun and will be one of the BEST players in this draft' nor did he do a re-draft wth Ridley high. He simply predicted Ridley will feature in a lot of top 20's in the future. Considering Ridley was a low 20s pick, it doesn't sound like this prediction is that over the top and worth calling out.

Man it's not that ridiculous in isolation. As I say that this post gets done multiple times for every single Essendon draftee of the last 5 years.

Man it's not that ridiculous in isolation. As I say that this post gets done multiple times for every single Essendon draftee of the last 5 years.
With ya.

"This category B rookie (who is an alright runner but will never play a game) will suprise alot of people."

That's just the most classic Essendon post isn't it - "this guy hasn't actually done or shown anything yet but I'm confident he'll be in everyone's lists in a year or two'

He was pretty good in his 2 AFL games last year and only came out of the side because of injury and that post came after a promising JLT game.

There's plenty of posts from all supporter groups saying watch out for player x as he is rated highly internally and has put in strong performances. Stating it's an Essendon supporter thing is just confirmation bias on your part.

His prediction was basically that a pick 22 will feature in many peoples top 20 lists in the future. So who cares if similar posts are made multiple times for Essendon players? It is a pretty conservative opinion and I still have no idea why you felt the need to call it out.

This draft starting to shape up as a scarily good one. Not at all disappointed with McGrath but Taranto is a stud! Other ones that I expect to take another step this year are Florent, Witherden, SPS, Berry, Ratugolea, Simpkin and Darcy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are a special breed.

Like the Essendon idiot who stated after the 2012 GF "Hawthorn have the worst list in the AFL"

The Hawks promptly went Back2Back2Back.

The same idiot repeated before both games against Essendon that "Hawthorn seriously have the worst list in the comp"

The Hawks promptly beat them both times, even though Essendon has a star studded list.

A very special breed indeed

I reckon he already took his next step last year. Could be wrong but I'm not sure how much higher his ceiling is. It's not a knock on him as he already pretty handy, there will be some natural improvement as Carlton improves around him but I don't see him as ever being a star of the competition.

I reckon he already took his next step last year. Could be wrong but I'm not sure how much higher his ceiling is. It's not a knock on him as he already pretty handy, there will be some natural improvement as Carlton improves around him but I don't see him as ever being a star of the competition.

I think all talented kids have more growth, especially in this draft where they still have 2-3 years of development

Last edited:

I think D_P_S deserves a bit more credit than that, he's a pretty knowledgable bloke when it comes to identifying talent and he certainly isn't the only bloke pumping up Ridleys tyres. In the last few days I've had a couple seperate non-Essendon mates mention how impressive he looked and looks primed for a big year.

I think all talent kids have more growth, especially in this draft where they still have 2-3 years of development
Fair call, as I said I could be wrong just my opinion on the bloke. Think he'll be an important part of your midfield for the next decade. Can see the WA clubs sniffing around when he comes out of contract though!

So we are back to supporter base bashing on here are we? Im sure every supporter base has a right to pump up their own draftees from this draft if they have impressed them, this is a review of the 2016 draft after all with every club representing a few players from it.

I like the posts where the teams fans highlight someone under the radar , the bickering over this guy is better than that guy .... not so much

On a totally unrelated matter is it just me or would others agree that this is one of the deepest drafts there has ever been ?

It seems like most clubs who had a few picks did really well out of it

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Fair call, as I said I could be wrong just my opinion on the bloke. Think he'll be an important part of your midfield for the next decade. Can see the WA clubs sniffing around when he comes out of contract though!
Fisher is a 200 game player and with his quick thinking and speed i think he will find a home as a small forward later in his career and still be a handful. Carlton midfield is going to be an absolute handful soon and the final piece of the puzzle for Carlton could be that mercurial forward in the 2019 draft with potentially Dylan Williams or Cam Taheny.

I think D_P_S deserves a bit more credit than that, he's a pretty knowledgable bloke when it comes to identifying talent and he certainly isn't the only bloke pumping up Ridleys tyres. In the last few days I've had a couple seperate non-Essendon mates mention how impressive he looked and looks primed for a big year.
I like it. The reality is most of us, me at least, dont know other club lists that well. I learn from club fans posting about emerging players. Better if it doesn't become a meaningless pissing contest obviously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back