News Jarrod Witts appointed Co-Captain at Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done to him but let’s be honest, he’s an average player in a poor side.

We have bigger fish to fry.
If you were being honest you’d acknowledge that he’s one of the better ruckmen in the league, and a good leader.

How come lukosious isn’t captain already?

If you were being honest you’d acknowledge that he’s one of the better ruckmen in the league, and a good leader.
He’s a long way behind our boy which is all that matters to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were done like a dinner when we traded him out but that was not his fault,he since leaving has conducted himself perfectly much like he did when he was with us so good on him for kicking on.

As has been stated Grundy and him were never going to work in the same team but I just wish we got something close to his value (stuff you Gubby you F----- us properly in your short 2nd stay) but that not his fault either and the Suns could do much worse than Witt,sy.

At the time, looking at trades of comparably experienced and talented rucks, Witts was worth somewhere between a late teens pick at the top end and a mid 30s at the lower end of his trade value. I was expecting somewhere inbetween and around mid 20s. This wasn't even hard for GC to accomodate because they had a heap of picks in that range that year. We got stitched in that deal.

It's a good example of why Hines role was redefined to focus on talent ID rather than trading following the review.

At the time, looking at trades of comparably experienced and talented rucks, Witts was worth somewhere between a late teens pick at the top end and a mid 30s at the lower end of his trade value. I was expecting somewhere inbetween and around mid 20s. This wasn't even hard for GC to accomodate because they had a heap of picks in that range that year. We got stitched in that deal.

It's a good example of why Hines role was redefined to focus on talent ID rather than trading following the review.
Yes I think a pick in the mid 20,s would have been fair for him and I think rocket knew he got a bargain also,what was he pick 45 or something bloody ludicrous.

We've gotten bullied at the trade table a few times recently, it's not pleasant.

How come lukosious isn’t captain already?

I thought Touk Miller may have been a more logical co-captain choice than Witts if they didn't want Swallow to be standalone captain.

If Bryce Gibbs isn't captaining Carlton in 2007, Lukosius won't be captaining Gold Coast in year one.

Give me any player from Gold Coast's list though and it's Lukosius any day of the week. And Lukosius isn't necessarily someone I see being a part of a leadership group in those first few seasons. I don't see the value of any young player being included in a leadership group. It's about development through those first at least four seasons.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek.

But also predicting that within a few years, if he sticks around, he’ll be their natural leader and BE Gold Coast.

I see Miller eventually becoming captain. He's their best leader.

Lukosius eventually may enter that leadership group though.

I see Miller eventually becoming captain. He's their best leader.

Lukosius eventually may enter that leadership group though.
I’ll take more of a look at Miller this year.

I’m GC are smart, they will build on their new entrants., Lukosius, King, Rankine.

Plus a few others they’d know more about than me.

I’ll take more of a look at Miller this year.

I’m GC are smart, they will build on their new entrants., Lukosius, King, Rankine.

Plus a few others they’d know more about than me.

Miller as a player is a vanilla midfielder. He'll win it. Tackle. No real hurt factor/weapons, no real second position, so he's not a star and wasn't among my top 20 rated prospects from his draft in my recent hindsight piece of the 2014 draft. He's more just a capable footballer who will have a long career and is highly rated internally for his leadership qualities.

GC need to be all about developing their youth and they need to find a way to do it because they've failed to date.

If Lukosius and Rankine aren't among the best players in the competition 5-6 years from now, the blame is squarely on Gold Coast. Just as it is with David Swallow, Jack Martin and Jaeger O'Meara not even being in the conversation for the competition's best - with O'Meara the only one where you can look at his circumstance and give them a pass.

Others who will be a good guide on Gold Coast's development include Ben King, Peter Wright, Ben Ainsworth, Will Brodie, Jack Bowes, Charlie Ballard and Brayden Crossley. Of those other than Ballard and Crossley, they were all seen as sure stars on being drafted and for me in looking at Ballard and Crossley's first seasons, they're two others who for mine could in the right environmental also be stars. If when they're fully developed players we're looking at a combination of these as only average footballers or like they're no big deal, it will tell us Gold Coast have made no progress as player developers.

Last edited:
Has it been 3 years already? Blimey.
Well done to him. He's become an excellent ruckman.
He's had two full seasons at Gold Coast, and is about to start his third. It's good to see the big bloke doing well. I'll always be annoyed that we gave him away too easily, but the player wasn't at fault in any way with his behaviour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back