Oppo Camp The Non-North Football Discussion & AFL Matchday Chat Thread: Edition IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching last night, the rules won't effect forward lines as most thought.

It's the center bounces that are completely different.

With no additional wingers and extra players behind the ball coming off the square etc, teams have to play man-on-man defence for the center bounces.

There was an acre of space for the center square mids, even 10-15 seconds after it was bounced, because the half backs have to be accountable, the bunch of mids are essentially left alone to win the ball.

Mids like Martin and Dangerfield are going to have a field day with these rules. There's so much space after you win the ball to break away.

Higgins might go to an even higher level.

I think the rules really suit Polec as well. Seeing as the wings are really the only ones that can impact the center square contests. He will enjoy the space out there.

The player i see benefiting most in the long term for us is LDU. If he can bring his style of play from under 18 level of breaking free from clearances he's going to be a player.

Sorry if I don't take this post very seriously when it starts off with "Weitering has shown nothing". He has shown a lot in his career, especially in his first year. Hasn't been able to back that up yet but the talent is still there.

Don't agree that Curnow is raw. If anything he's far in front of where you'd expect him to be at this point. McKay is very raw but is tracking to be a 30-40 goal forward in his fourth year. The McKays are precocious. Some on here are expecting his brother to take over from Maj without us losing anything and Ben is a 1 gamer.

Thompson is the worst one-on-one tall defender in the league according to Champion Data. Basically just a spoiler, I'd probably take Liam Jones ahead of him. GC still need to find a CHB to play with him too now that May is gone, might be Collins.

That's a bold claim on Wright and Lukosius. Think Curnow and McKay could outscore them by a couple dozen majors quite easily. Witts is Gold Coast's biggest strength over Carlton but if we're just talking 2019 I'd have the Blues KPPs over GC's ones easily.

Bulldogs have Morris and the rest of their talls are pus. Adams was their second best and he's gone. Boyd will be lucky to play 10 games this year (or would that be unlucky for the Dogs?). Schache I actually thought showed a little last year but if McKay is raw then Schache is veal. Kreuzer would crush English or whoever else the Dogs will run through the ruck, Jackson Trengove?

That's a pretty immature way to start your post. Especially one where you've outright admitted you don't know anything about Zaine Cordy, despite his form in 2018.

Do I really need to pull out the comments made on Weitering over the past two years? He was given credit his first year for looking mature beyond his years, but after that he never developed and questions are rightly being asked about his future. He was an outright liability for Carlton last year and had some of the worst blunders that I saw from a defender all year.

The fact that you can make these comments about Weitering (that it's ridiculous to suggest he hasn't show anything) just shows that you're heavily persuaded by narrative and draft position so there's hardly much point discussing this point when you're convinced that where a player was selected is more important than their actual play. I get why it's done, since it's easier than watching football, but defending Weitering in this instance may as well be completely baseless.

Those stats on Rory Thompson whatever they are, would certainly have to be pretty misleading, as this is one of the cases in this discussion where playing in a worse team is actually detrimental. We've seen plenty of great form from Rory Thompson over his career, including this year where he notably held Buddy Franklin goalless in great effort. So excuse me if I don't want to write him off based on a vague mention of a champion data statistic.

I'll also quickly say that I'd expect Peter Wright to thrive with the departure of Lynch and that the comments on our McKay are even more hopeful, so I don't see how they're relevant.

The campaigners tried to buy us out. Some of the most arrogant supporters whether they're up and about or not.

Let them burn.

Not a long time after that had occurred, we were in the old southern stand for a match against Carlton, when Trevor Marmalade rocked up hosting a group for a day amongst the great unwashed in the outer at the MCG. Amongst them (maybe as guest of honour) was John Elliot.

It was in that game, late in the last when Jon Dorotich had a shot to make it pretty much a done thing for Carlton - he muffed it. Kicked the turf and North went on to win (I think).

I reached into my pocket, waved a $5 bill around and made an offer to Elliot to buy Carlton - and then asked the crowd if anybody could change the five for two two's and a one coz I didn't think Johne Elliot would have any coins!

He didn't stay after that, and Trev gave me this daggers look as though I should give a s**t about Elliot.

The player i see benefiting most in the long term for us is LDU. If he can bring his style of play from under 18 level of breaking free from clearances he's going to be a player.

That’s a good point but IMO whikstbhelping long term it will probably help even more short term. Watching the footy last night I noticed the quality of clearance go up given the extra space around center square ball ups. LDU struggles with space in his first year so I can see him bursting from the center a lot this year.

Pre-season is great. Hope sells.

"Top draft pick can play football" is not really newsworthy. and it's been a Carlton headline at th start of every year for well over a decade now. Will that turn into consistent good form at AFL level? Will it do it for more than a season? You might pick up one or more strong young players, but how will the pieces come together? Can they do that at the same time to lift the team?

If good draft picks were enough, Gold Coast and GWS would have won that string of flags a lot of people assumed they would. It isn't. Instead, flags and contenders have come from very unlikely places. Equalisation notwithstanding, still nothing is bound to happen until it actually does happen.

Pre-season is great. Hope sells.

"Top draft pick can play football" is not really newsworthy. and it's been a Carlton headline at th start of every year for well over a decade now. Will that turn into consistent good form at AFL level? Will it do it for more than a season? You might pick up one or more strong young players, but how will the pieces come together? Can they do that at the same time to lift the team?

If good draft picks were enough, Gold Coast and GWS would have won that string of flags a lot of people assumed they would. It isn't. Instead, flags and contenders have come from very unlikely places. Equalisation notwithstanding, still nothing is bound to happen until it actually does happen.

Agree but eventually the weight of favour will tip things over.

Melbourne is a good example of the AFL giving enough of a leg up on all angles that eventually the club becomes competitive.

Would imagine between an unlimited batallion of top 3 picks, best in the business conditioning coach, yearly friendly fixtures (both commercially and football-wise) and extensive ahem, off-field network etc things will eventually swing towards a similar result for the brown paper baggers.

Plus James Brayshaw commented last year (when they played us in the preseaso) that "everyone" would like to see Carlton back to their former greatness. Apparently.

Agree but eventually the weight of favour will tip things over.

Melbourne is a good example of the AFL giving enough of a leg up on all angles that eventually the club becomes competitive.

Would imagine between an unlimited batallion of top 3 picks, best in the business conditioning coach, yearly friendly fixtures (both commercially and football-wise) and extensive ahem, off-field network etc things will eventually swing towards a similar result for the brown paper baggers.

Plus James Brayshaw commented last year (when they played us in the preseaso) that "everyone" would like to see Carlton back to their former greatness. Apparently.
We'll see.

JB - saviour or donkey? He makes it hard.

Carlton are currently sitting on top of the JLT ladder. :eek:

From memory, they won a few pre-season comps, when they still handed out trophies for praccie matches, and the BluWS followed up with wooden spoons or thereabouts in the season proper. In contrast, the Swans got into Grand Finals without winning any pre-season games.

All I want from JLT is:
- no injuries
- the 4 new blokes integrating smoothly into the game plan
- BMac & Larkey make the case that they are best 22, rather than potentially last-man-standing KPPs
- the new kids give us a taste of whats to come
- sense of genuine competition for spots

Carlton are currently sitting on top of the JLT ladder. :eek:

From memory, they won a few pre-season comps, when they still handed out trophies for praccie matches, and the BluWS followed up with wooden spoons or thereabouts in the season proper. In contrast, the Swans got into Grand Finals without winning any pre-season games.

All I want from JLT is:
- no injuries
- the 4 new blokes integrating smoothly into the game plan
- BMac & Larkey make the case that they are best 22, rather than potentially last-man-standing KPPs
- the new kids give us a taste of whats to come
- sense of genuine competition for spots
Probably the first time they've been top of a ladder since the 90s.

I wonder if these new rules that the disposal numbers for forwards and defenders will drop. More parts of the game when they can't get involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rankine destroys Brisbane in their first practice match.

He should of gone #1. He may be the most expensive player ever traded for when he returns to SA in 4-5 years.

Also, hopefully it will quell some of the Brisbane circle jerk going on in the media at the moment, seeing as GC did them by 5 goals.

Sometimes the mentality around the daft is just strange. Rankine is easily the best player from last years draft. Walsh will be a really good player, but Rankine will be a generational type player. He has the attitude that makes him think he can be the best, also the work rate & skills that will make it happen.

One on one defenders are going to be the most important players going forward. If you can beat your opponent without infringing you will win your team games of footy.

Can you imagine Waite one out though?
These new rules are tailor made for him.
I watched McGovern yesterday and Darling tonight and contested marking forwards are going to take the piss year.

I’ll selfishly say it. Majak. Please oh please be right. He might not be the weapon in defence of last year but * me he could be the difference in attack.

Also with these 6-6-6 rules Ben Jacobs value to the side just doubled.
So much has to go right for us to challenge this year and him being fit again is one.
Also a good tap ruckman who can hit to space will be invaluable.
Dogs, Cats and Tigers are going to be doing plenty of defending this year.

Sometimes the mentality around the daft is just strange.

I'll admit I'm not a huge fan. You come across quite a few of them on Bigfooty. I just try to give them a wide berth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back