2019 non-freo nonchalance (aka discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Zack Clarke is playing for Essendon! We couldn't get him on the park for about 3 years now he's out there in the pre-season.
Clarke had 18 months off through injury while on our list then played a full season at subi last year.

Had we known the 18 months off would have worked we probably would've kept him I reckon.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure how normal this is but I’m in the Virgin lounge and all the Geelong players and staff are here but they’re positioned in little groups all throughout the lounge. Some are even sitting on their own (Selwood for eg.) They seriously couldn’t spread out more. Tight group the Cats!

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure how normal this is but I’m in the Virgin lounge and all the Geelong players and staff are here but they’re positioned in little groups all throughout the lounge. Some are even sitting on their own (Selwood for eg.) They seriously couldn’t spread out more. Tight group the Cats!
There is always groups with in a team no matter what level. Put 30 men together and you would have to be special to like everyone. A lot of egos and different interests.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree re JLT not being a guide to the season proper but coming off a premiership, starting back later than most, and looking polished in JLT 1 with impressive youngsters is good form regardless. I highly doubt they’ll bomb the season.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
I agree re JLT not being a guide to the season proper but coming off a premiership, starting back later than most, and looking polished in JLT 1 with impressive youngsters is good form regardless. I highly doubt they’ll bomb the season.
Carlton also looked pretty good. Let’s wait till ALL teams are having a crack

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The toast will be thereabouts, they get Gaff, NicNat & Shepherd back, lost the frenchman.
They are stronger than last September!

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
I watched 2 and 1/2 quarters last night, researching Cats players for SuperCoach, AFL fantasy & ultimate footy.
I usually avoid games involving the scum & didn't watch one of their games last year. I also boycott their players in fantasy comps as well & I was booing gaff during AFLX which caused a few people to look at me strangely.
I don't care, but shruggy played well early & so did that disgusting excuse for a human (number 27)
Unfortunately I think they will be ok again, but hopefully they don't Bradbury it again

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Marty Whitelaw

All Australian
Aug 27, 2014
Nedlands
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth Falcons, LA Clippers
I watched 2 and 1/2 quarters last night, researching Cats players for SuperCoach, AFL fantasy & ultimate footy.
I usually avoid games involving the scum & didn't watch one of their games last year. I also boycott their players in fantasy comps as well & I was booing gaff during AFLX which caused a few people to look at me strangely.
I don't care, but shruggy played well early & so did that disgusting excuse for a human (number 27)
Unfortunately I think they will be ok again, but hopefully they don't Bradbury it again

WC will probably be good again. But Melbourne and Collingwood will be better this year as well, with their younger players another year advanced. Plus Richmond have added Lynch aonwill be good again. Plenty of other good teams to challenge them this year at least.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The last time Ross beat Simpson was in 2015, it's why many believe he is yesterday's hero. In the coaches box we haven't improved
massively, the list has, but the way we play?
WC like the Hawks just destroy zone footy, you either beat them man on man, ie 2015 GF, use, control the ball or pay the price.
If our one play is to run and bomb it long to the forward line, get used to losing the Derby's.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Kills me to say this. I thought eagles looked pretty good, not that rusty and had some quality youth coming through. Structures are visible and they’ll be around the place again this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Their youth did look good. Have that nice situation going where they don't need to be feeding them experience, but can have them putting pressure on the incumbents if they are good enough. Bastards.

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont

I take the opposite approach i watch all their games And have a fairly solid knowledge of their list , I was at a family function this time last year and two of the people at the table were self proclaimed one eyed Eagles supporters so i started mentioning their young players with potential ,Low and behold they had no idea who i was talking about , I mentioned Waterman , Venables , Partington etc . They even asked me if Waterman was related to Chris!!! trust me it was priceless.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I take the opposite approach i watch all their games And have a fairly solid knowledge of their list , I was at a family function this time last year and two of the people at the table were self proclaimed one eyed Eagles supporters so i started mentioning their young players with potential ,Low and behold they had no idea who i was talking about , I mentioned Waterman , Venables , Partington etc . They even asked me if Waterman was related to Chris!!! trust me it was priceless.
WC have plenty of quality tall timber coming through the ranks, their midfield depth is okay but it's their coach, unity that really stands out.
It was the same with Clarkson, and God knows how long it's been since we beat them?
On paper our kids are all outstanding prospects and we are covered across the ground, not just one area, looking at teams like the Tigers,
Pies, the improvement has come from the coaches relaxing, and more credentialed assistants.
Hopefully 2020 we bring in the next coach in waiting as an assistant, and The Boss learns how to delegate, share the load.

Marty Whitelaw

All Australian
Aug 27, 2014
Nedlands
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth Falcons, LA Clippers
WC have plenty of quality tall timber coming through the ranks, their midfield depth is okay but it's their coach, unity that really stands out.
It was the same with Clarkson, and God knows how long it's been since we beat them?
On paper our kids are all outstanding prospects and we are covered across the ground, not just one area, looking at teams like the Tigers,
Pies, the improvement has come from the coaches relaxing, and more credentialed assistants.
Hopefully 2020 we bring in the next coach in waiting as an assistant, and The Boss learns how to delegate, share the load.

Really good post. The manner in which Buckley and his team of quality & experience assistant coaches reinvented that team last season was super impressive.

Have to say that I’m still extremely annoyed that we didn’t make any additions to our assistant coaching ranks this off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back