Discussion JLT Community Series 2019: Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Never been a clash. Top tip: the players with the huge red stripe across the middle are Essendon.

Tho I do agree the inconsistency is irritating

Never been a clash. Top tip: the players with the huge red stripe across the middle are Essendon.

Tho I do agree the inconsistency is irritating

The red sash doesn’t resolve a clash. You have a predominately black strip vs a predominantly navy strip.

Would you have Collingwood and North play each other with both wearing their white based strips?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The clash itself isn't too bad, I can deal with that. but it's just the lack of consistency which is the worst part of it. If a=b and b=c, therefore c=a. If Essendon v Freo clash and Freo v Blues clash, therefore Essendon v Blues clash. Sorry for the math lesson but the AFL badly need one.
Not disagreeing on the Essendon vs Carlton clash but Adelaide clash with Hawthorn, Collingwood clash with Adelaide, therefore Hawthorn clash with Collingwood?

Not disagreeing on the Essendon vs Carlton clash but Adelaide clash with Hawthorn, Collingwood clash with Adelaide, therefore Hawthorn clash with Collingwood?

Hawthorn and Collingwood matches tend to be messy when it comes to jumper match ups. The Hawks were wearing the gold-on-brown Away jumper when the match was a Pies home game, but now that it's gone it'll be interesting to see what happens. Kennett isn't keen on wearing the fauxback as much as he was initially, so whether they cave and wear it under AFL direction or make a meal of the matchup and wears the clash remains to be seen.

The ideal match-up is the Pies wearing their home with white shorts vs Hawks in full home in a Pies home match, and the Hawks full home vs the Pies full clash in a Hawks away match

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In some cases a clash jumper isn't necessary to completely avoid a clash, a mere change to white shorts does the trick as is the case with Pies v Hawks. And strangely the clash between Coll and Adel has only been held consistently for about 5 years now. But yeah that rule is mostly hard and fast apart from a few examples.

The Collingwood-Adelaide one is weird, in that I actually think there is more contrast when Adelaide wears their home jumper due to the red and gold popping against the Pies black and white, rather than wearing the predominately white clash jumper. Two dark jumpers is not ideal though.

If only we had some sort of gold clash jumper :think::think:

would have to be colourblind to not notice the red !

no clash .
As this board has discussed at length, it's about clear contrast, and not needing to "notice" the red.
I'm sure a red football under lights would be fine if you looked hard enough.
I'm sure the umpires wearing white in a Geelong game would be fine if you concentrate and notice the solid blue of the ump's socks.

But why should we have to do that when we can use a much better contrasting guernsey, a yellow football, and umpires in neutral colours?
Why wouldn't we make the game as aesthetically easy to watch as possible?

As this board has discussed at length, it's about clear contrast, and not needing to "notice" the red.
I'm sure a red football under lights would be fine if you looked hard enough.
I'm sure the umpires wearing white in a Geelong game would be fine if you concentrate and notice the solid blue of the ump's socks.

But why should we have to do that when we can use a much better contrasting guernsey, a yellow football, and umpires in neutral colours?
Why wouldn't we make the game as aesthetically easy to watch as possible?
the problem is you have essendon and the afl who think there is no clash for ess vs carl

also essendon would rather have a s**t looking training jumper with 2 thin black lines instead of a full black sash because they are so stubborn and old fashioned , good luck getting them to wear it in a traditional match up.

it would look better i agree, but it will never happen cos there is hardly a clash there anyway and it doesnt cause any issues. carlton players hit essendon players on the chest and vice versa cos they have poor skills not because of a jumper clash

the problem is you have essendon and the afl who think there is no clash for this match up

also essendon would rather have a s**t looking training jumper with 2 thin black lines instead of a full black sash because they are so stubborn and old fashioned , good luck getting them to wear it in a traditional match up.

it would look better i agree, but it will never happen cos there is hardly a clash there anyway and it doesnt cause any issues. carlton players hit essendon players on the chest and vice versa cos they have poor skills not because of a jumper clash
So because the AFL and Essendon want the rules to be inconsistent and won't put the effort into making a jumper they'd be happy to wear in a GF, and I guess because "TRADISHUN!" we'll just say it's not a clash? This is the place where we call out that bullshit.
As I said the other day, whether people personally think Carlton-Essendon is a clash or not, the fact that when Essendon play Freo, who have the same jumper as Carlton (solid colour, white numbers and a bit of white on the front) but in a lighter colour, Essendon are made to wear clash, says they either should be allowed to wear home in both or neither.

So because the AFL and Essendon want the rules to be inconsistent and won't put the effort into making a jumper they'd be happy to wear in a GF, and I guess because "TRADISHUN!" we'll just say it's not a clash? This is the place where we call out that bullshit.
As I said the other day, whether people personally think Carlton-Essendon is a clash or not, the fact that when Essendon play Freo, who have the same jumper as Carlton (solid colour, white numbers and a bit of white on the front) but in a lighter colour, Essendon are made to wear clash, says they either should be allowed to wear home in both or neither.
the carlton jumper has been almost black in the last few seasons. looks like the navy blue that they traditionally wore is back this year which should slightly help the "clash"

dont think they clash with the dockers either. the dockers jumper is far brighter than any carlton jumper but the afl forcing the clash jumper on efc in this match up shows you how stubborn the efc is about wearing a clash jumper against a traditional rival.

The Collingwood-Adelaide one is weird, in that I actually think there is more contrast when Adelaide wears their home jumper due to the red and gold popping against the Pies black and white, rather than wearing the predominately white clash jumper. Two dark jumpers is not ideal though.

If only we had some sort of gold clash jumper :think::think:
I've said it before, but the Crows and Pies both in home guernseys is one of the best looking matchups in the league for that reason. I would like to see a gold or red clash jumper return though, I find it hard to believe that they are both 'cursed' like some supporters claimed that they were when they were in use.

the carlton jumper has been almost black in the last few seasons. looks like the navy blue that they traditionally wore is back this year which should slightly help the "clash"

dont think they clash with the dockers either. the dockers jumper is far brighter than any carlton jumper but the afl forcing the clash jumper on efc in this match up shows you how stubborn the efc is about wearing a clash jumper against a traditional rival.
But, to clarify, given they have to wear it against Freo (rightly or wrongly) do you therefore think they should be wearing it against Carlton (rightly or wrongly), given their jumper is *still* darker than Freo's?

But, to clarify, given they have to wear it against Freo (rightly or wrongly) do you therefore think they should be wearing it against Carlton (rightly or wrongly), given their jumper is *still* darker than Freo's?
i dont think they should wear it against freo or carlton at all. thats where it ends for me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back