Senior 18. Sam Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Walsh has the skillset to rotate to running half back if it's required this season, given we're still missing Doc. Can definitely play alongside Newman and rotate with Simpson in the wing. Running half back requires good defensive skills (Walsh has shown he is a natural at tackling) however, also require enough footy IQ to make good decisions to move the ball into the centre and ideally into the forward 50. With Walsh's natural inclination to go for one-two plays as well as move the ball through the corridor he will easily fit this requirement.

Walsh has the skillset to rotate to running half back if it's required this season, given we're still missing Doc. Can definitely play alongside Newman and rotate with Simpson in the wing. Running half back requires good defensive skills (Walsh has shown he is a natural at tackling) however, also require enough footy IQ to make good decisions to move the ball into the centre and ideally into the forward 50. With Walsh's natural inclination to go for one-two plays as well as move the ball through the corridor he will easily fit this requirement.
Yes I totally agree with you and whilst Walsh would be very effective of half back. He has the scope to be one of the very best-ever Elite midfielders just developing his inclination to hunt the ball.>> and just let his Natural Instinct carry him all over the ground and I wouldn't want him just to worry about a man or covering defensively first , just yet.( it would be too limiting) >> I know we tried to do this with Gibbs and stunted his development as a midfielder that he truly is now.>> players with the capacity to run up and down the ground and find space so easily, as well as being genuine goal kickers, need to be utilised to develop into the champions they should be because there are very few of these in the A class category midfielder

Saw somebody mention a comparison to Nathan Buckley and that's more appropriate of is running style smooth moves - skillset- class- determination
Walsh will be compared to a lot of past players. The idiots who are paid to observe and commentate on the game are too unimaginative to recognise he is unique and therefore seek a resemblance to something tangible they are comfortable with.

Good young kids in the future will be compared to Walsh.

Can we appreciate his rig development since being drafted? He’s gone from skinny 18 year old to packing on at least 2-3kgs of muscle without an ounce of fat. Don’t tell me he’s not more explosive than what he showed at TAC cup last year - what is Andrew Russell doing to these guys??

It's actually ridiculous physical development given the timeframe.
If this wasn't the AFL, I'd be suspicious that he's juicing for that progress in 4-6 months.

edit: okay that may be an exaggeration, but it's still impressive...

603550-tlslargeportrait.jpg

jlt-community-series-sam-walsh-stars-for-carlton-as-baby-blues-down-essendon__851326_.jpg

Can we appreciate his rig development since being drafted? He’s gone from skinny 18 year old to packing on at least 2-3kgs of muscle without an ounce of fat. Don’t tell me he’s not more explosive than what he showed at TAC cup last year - what is Andrew Russell doing to these guys??
Whatever it takes ...

It's actually ridiculous physical development given the timeframe.
If this wasn't the AFL, I'd be suspicious that he's juicing for that progress in 4-6 months.

edit: okay that may be an exaggeration, but it's still impressive...

View attachment 627825

View attachment 627823
Everyone looks better in Navy Blue.

Also, being pasty white doesn’t accentuate muscle tone. Lighting makes a difference too.

I fully expect Bitchmond to test him out physically in round 1. Will be interesting to see how he handles the “Hardwick man handling” and how our players protect and support him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fully expect Premiershipmond to test him out physically in round 1. Will be interesting to see how he handles the “Hardwick man handling” and how our players protect and support him?
Tell everyone else they have to focus on the ball and score a goal whenever he is hit then tell the opposition it was done for them.

They might learn the lesson by half time.

I fully expect Premiershipmond to test him out physically in round 1. Will be interesting to see how he handles the “Hardwick man handling” and how our players protect and support him?
Yeah they will give him the Jack Watts debut treatment - and to be fair as they should.

Looking forward to them targeting him and seeing Cripps bash them all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back